Rotate quicktime videos?

Trevor

Jul 14, 2003, 3:49:22 AM7/14/03
My digital camara takes short video clips, which Image Capture reads as
QuickTime movies. If they've been filmed with the camera on its side, the
videos remain on their sides (unlike photos which are automatically oriented
for viewing).

How can I rotate them on screen? I can't find an option in the QuickTime
player. And iMovie won't read them because they're the wrong type of
QuickTime, apparently.

Trevor

Elliott Roper

Jul 14, 2003, 5:01:49 AM7/14/03
In article <BB381F12.29C9%tre...@remove.this.unicyclist.com>, Trevor
<tre...@remove.this.unicyclist.com> wrote:

It can be done in QuickTime player pro. It was fiddly and I forget
extacly how (standard operating procedure for anything to do with QT
player) but I think it is in the re-size area. If you can get red
handles on the image there is some magic for rotating it.

Pretty useless except for encouragement purposes I know. If you are
still stuck I'll try to resurrect the recipe this evening after work.

Chris Ridd

Jul 14, 2003, 5:30:12 AM7/14/03
On 14/7/03 10:01 am, in article 140720031001499721%ell...@yrl.co.uk,
"Elliott Roper" <ell...@yrl.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <BB381F12.29C9%tre...@remove.this.unicyclist.com>, Trevor
> <tre...@remove.this.unicyclist.com> wrote:
>
>> My digital camara takes short video clips, which Image Capture reads as
>> QuickTime movies. If they've been filmed with the camera on its side, the
>> videos remain on their sides (unlike photos which are automatically oriented
>> for viewing).
>>
>> How can I rotate them on screen? I can't find an option in the QuickTime
>> player. And iMovie won't read them because they're the wrong type of
>> QuickTime, apparently.
>>
> It can be done in QuickTime player pro. It was fiddly and I forget
> extacly how (standard operating procedure for anything to do with QT
> player) but I think it is in the re-size area. If you can get red
> handles on the image there is some magic for rotating it.

Open the movie, hit Command-J, choose the video track, choose size. There
are little buttons in the window to rotate the movie by +/- 90 degrees, and
to flip the movie horizontally and vertically.

Cheers,

Chris

Peter Ceresole

Jul 14, 2003, 5:41:53 AM7/14/03

>My digital camara takes short video clips, which Image Capture reads as
>QuickTime movies. If they've been filmed with the camera on its side, the
>videos remain on their sides (unlike photos which are automatically oriented
>for viewing).
>
>How can I rotate them on screen?

If they have been taken as a series of stills in a standard format, you
might be able to batch rotate them in GraphicConverter. It's pretty quick.

--
Peter

Elliott Roper

Jul 14, 2003, 7:18:07 AM7/14/03
In article <BB3836B4.93789%chri...@mac.com>, Chris Ridd
<chri...@mac.com> wrote:
<snip>

> Open the movie, hit Command-J, choose the video track, choose size. There
> are little buttons in the window to rotate the movie by +/- 90 degrees, and
> to flip the movie horizontally and vertically.

That's the recipe! squirrelled away. Thanks

Patrick Navin

Jul 14, 2003, 8:19:36 AM7/14/03
The other day in <BB384781...@0.0.0.0> some fecker calling himself

or if you have premiere you could save them in filmstrip mode, batch
rotate them in photoshop and then reassemble in premiere

Patrick

--
Remove YOUR PANTS to reply

http://www.notepad-computer.co.uk
notepad computers site (under construction)

Mike Edwards

Jul 14, 2003, 12:20:59 PM7/14/03

> > Open the movie, hit Command-J, choose the video track, choose size. There
> > are little buttons in the window to rotate the movie by +/- 90 degrees, and
> > to flip the movie horizontally and vertically.

Er, not on mine it doesn't. There aren't any buttons that I can see.
What version are you using?

Chris Ridd

Jul 14, 2003, 1:12:49 PM7/14/03
On 14/7/03 5:20 pm, in article
mike.edwards-AFDA...@news.news.demon.net, "Mike Edwards"

6.something Pro.

Cheers,

Chris

Mike Edwards

Jul 14, 2003, 6:28:50 PM7/14/03

> > Er, not on mine it doesn't. There aren't any buttons that I can see.
> > What version are you using?
>
> 6.something Pro.

Ah, it's the Pro bit I'm missing ;-)

Chris Ridd

Jul 15, 2003, 1:20:56 AM7/15/03
On 14/7/03 11:28 pm, in article
mike.edwards-1747...@news.news.demon.net, "Mike Edwards"
<mike.e...@rocksoft.demon.co.uk> wrote:

Thought it might be! It is a useful upgrade IMHO.

Cheers,

Chris

Trevor

Jul 14, 2003, 7:05:22 PM7/14/03
On 14/7/03 10:41 am, in article BB384781...@0.0.0.0, "Peter Ceresole"
<pe...@cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

This may be a very silly question, but how can I see if they're taken in
this way?

Trevor

(PS - I don't have quicktime pro, just the free player.)

---
JOIN ME! See http://www.joinme.info for details.

Peter Ceresole

Jul 15, 2003, 6:27:41 AM7/15/03
In article <BB38F5C2.2A13%tre...@remove.this.unicyclist.com>,
Trevor <tre...@remove.this.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>> If they have been taken as a series of stills in a standard format, you
>> might be able to batch rotate them in GraphicConverter. It's pretty quick.
>
>This may be a very silly question, but how can I see if they're taken in
>this way?

I'm not sure. But just try dropping your movie onto GraphicConverter and if
it swallows it, see what options turn up in the menus. I never cease to be
surprised by the unexpected goodies that turn up when I try that kind of
thing.

--
Peter

Trevor

Jul 15, 2003, 11:55:10 AM7/15/03
On 15/7/03 11:27 am, in article BB39A3BD9...@0.0.0.0, "Peter Ceresole"
<pe...@cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

Tried opening it with Graphic Converter. It plays fine, but still resolutely
in its side! The rotate option in grayed out...

Trevor