Happy Birthday....

zoara

Jan 29, 2006, 1:43:11 PM1/29/06
Time to wheel out the cake and candles again, boys and girls... This
time it's Daniele's birthday.

Happy birthday, Daniele!

You share your birthday with

1584 - Frederick Henry, Prince of Orange (died 1647)
1632 - Johann Georg Graevius, German classical scholar and critic
(died 1703)
1688 - Emanuel Swedenborg, Swedish scientist and philosopher (died 1772)
1711 - Giuseppe Bonno, Austrian composer (died 1788)
1715 - Georg Christoph Wagenseil, Austrian composer (died 1777)
1717 - Jeffrey Amherst, British military leader (died 1797)
1718 - Paul Rabaut, French Huguenot pastor (died 1794)
1737 - Thomas Paine, American patriot (died 1809)
1749 - King Christian VII of Denmark (died 1808)
1754 - Moses Cleaveland, founder of the city of Cleveland (died 1806)
1782 - Daniel Auber, French composer (died 1871)
1843 - William McKinley, 25th President of the United States (died 1901)
1846 - Karol Olszewski, Polish scientist (died 1915)
1860 - Anton Chekhov, Russian writer (died 1904)
1862 - Frederick Delius, English composer (died 1934)
1866 - Romain Rolland, French writer, Nobel Prize laureate (died 1944)
1874 - John D. Rockefeller Jr., American entrepreneur (died 1960)
1876 - Havergal Brian, British composer (died 1972)
1880 - W.C. Fields, American actor (died 1946)
1885 - Leadbelly, American musician (died 1949)
1891 - Elizaveta Gerdt, Russian ballerina (died 1975)
1905 - Barnett Newman, American painter (died 1970)
1910 - Colin Middleton, Northern Irish artist (died 1983)
1911 - Peter von Siemens, German industrialist (died 1986)
1913 - Peter von Zahn, German journalist and writer (died 2001)
1915 - Victor Mature, American actor (died 1999)
1918 - John Forsythe, American actor
1921 - Anthony George, American TV actor (died 2005)
1923 - Paddy Chayefsky, American writer (died 1981)
1923 - Ivo Robic, Croatian singer and songwriter (died 2000)
1924 - Luigi Nono, Italian composer (died 1990)
1926 - Franco Cerri, Italian musician
1926 - Abdus Salam, Pakistani physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
(died 1996)
1927 - Edward Abbey, American environmentalist (died 1989)
1928 - Lee Shau Kee, Hong Kong SAR property developer
1929 - Gordon Solie, wrestling announcer (died 2000)
1932 - Tommy Taylor, English footballer (died 1958)
1939 - Germaine Greer, Australian feminist writer
1940 - Katharine Ross, American actress
1942 - Claudine Longet, French singer and dancer
1945 - Jim Nicholson, Northern Irish politician
1945 - Tom Selleck, American actor
1947 - Linda B. Buck, American scientist, recipient of the Nobel Prize
in Physiology or Medicine
1948 - Cristina Saralegui, Hispanic Talk-Show Host
1948 - Marc Singer, Canadian actor
1950 - Ann Jillian, American actress
1950 - Jody Scheckter, South African race car driver
1952 - Tommy Ramone, Hungarian-born musician and record producer
(The Ramones)
1953 - Hwang Woo-Suk, South Korean Biomedical Scientist
1953 - Louie Perez, Mexican-American drummer (Los Lobos)
1954 - Richard "Handsome Dick" Manitoba, American punk rock singer
(The Dictators, MC5)
1954 - Oprah Winfrey, American talk-show host, producer, actress, and
publisher
1957 - Grazyna Miller, Italian poetess,translator and journalist
1960 - Gia Carangi, American model (died 1986)
1960 - Sean Kerly, British field hockey player
1960 - Greg Louganis, American diver
1960 - Steve Sax, American baseball player
1960 - J. G. Thirlwell, Australian-born musician
1961 - Eddie Jackson, American rock bassist (Queensryche)
1962 - Nicholas Turturro, American actor
1964 - Andre Reed, American football player
1965 - Dominik Hasek, Czech hockey player
1966 - Romário, Brazilian footballer
1968 - Edward Burns, American actor
1969 - Thomas Jane, American actor
1970 - Heather Graham, American actress
1970 - Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, Indian shooter
1973 - Jason Schmidt, baseball player
1975 - Sara Gilbert, American actress
1979 - Sui Feifei, Chinese basketball player
1981 - Jonny Lang, American musician
1986 - Drew Tyler Bell, American actor
1998 - Sierra Marcoux, American actress

On this day in history

904 - Sergius III comes out of retirement to take over the papacy from
the deposed Pope Christopher.
1595 - William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet is probably first
performed.
1676 - Feodor III becomes Tsar of Russia.
1814 - France defeated Russia and Prussia in the Battle of Brienne.
1845 - The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe is published for the first time (New
York Evening Mirror).
1850 - Henry Clay introduces the Compromise of 1850 to the U.S.
Congress.
1856 - Queen Victoria institutes the Victoria Cross.
1861 - Kansas is admitted as the 34th U.S. state.
1863 - Bear River Massacre.
1886 - Karl Benz patents the first successful gasoline-driven
automobile.
1891 - Liliuokalani is proclaimed Queen of Hawaii, its last monarch.
1900 - The American League is organized in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
with 8 founding teams.
1916 - World War I: Paris is first bombed by German zeppelins .
1929 - The Seeing Eye Dog organization is formed.
1933 - President of Germany Paul von Hindenburg appoints Adolf Hitler as
Chancellor of Germany.
1936 - The first inductees into the Baseball Hall of Fame are announced.
1944 - The battleship USS Missouri is launched.
1944 - World War II: The Battle of Cisterna takes place in central
Italy.
1944 - World War II: About 300 men, women, and children die in the
Massacre in Koniuchy in Poland.
1959 - Sleeping Beauty, the last animated feature produced by Walt
Disney to be based upon a fairy tale, was first released.
1963 - First inductees into the Pro Football Hall of Fame are announced.
1964 - 1964 Winter Olympic Games open in Innsbruck, Austria.
1958 - Police capture Charles Starkweather in Wyoming.
1966 - The first of 608 performances of Sweet Charity opens at the
Palace Theatre in New York City.
1986 - Yoweri Museveni is sworn in as President of Uganda.
1995 - Super Bowl XXIX: The San Francisco 49ers defeat the San Diego
Chargers 49-26 and become the first NFL team to win five Super
Bowl titles.
1996 - President Jacques Chirac announces a "definitive end" to French
nuclear testing.
1996 - La Fenice, Venice's opera house, is destroyed by fire.
1996 - First release of Duke Nukem 3D.
1998 - In Birmingham, Alabama, a bomb explodes at an abortion clinic,
killing one and severely wounding another. Serial bomber Eric
Robert Rudolph is suspected as the culprit.
2001 - Thousands of student protesters in Indonesia storm parliament and
demand that President Abdurrahman Wahid resign due to alleged
involvement in corruption scandals.
2002 - In his State of the Union Address, United States President George
W. Bush describes "regimes that sponsor terror" as an Axis of
Evil.
2004 - A whale explodes in the town of Tainan, Taiwan. A build-up of gas
in the decomposing 56-foot long Sperm whale is suspected of
causing the explosion.

Deaths on this day

1119 - Pope Gelasius II
1342 - Louis I, Duke of Bourbon (born 1279)
1597 - Elias Ammerbach, German organist (born 1530)
1608 - Frederick I, Duke of Württemberg (born 1557)
1647 - Francis Meres, English writer (born 1565)
1676 - Tsar Alexis I of Russia (born 1629)
1678 - Jeronimo Lobo, Portuguese Jesuit missionary (born 1593)
1696 - Ivan V, Russian tsar;reigned from (1582-1589)
1706 - Charles Sackville, 6th Earl of Dorset, English poet and courtier
(born 1638)
1730 - Tsar Peter II of Russia (born 1715)
1737 - George Hamilton, 1st Earl of Orkney, British soldier (born 1666)
1743 - Cardinal André-Hercule de Fleury, Bishop of Fréjus, chief
minister under Louis XV of France (born 1653)
1763 - Louis Racine, French poet (born 1692)
1820 - King George III of the United Kingdom (born 1738)
1829 - Paul François Jean Nicolas Barras, French politician (born 1755)
1870 - Leopold II, Grand Duke of Tuscany (born 1797)
1906 - King Christian IX of Denmark (born 1818)
1928 - Douglas Haig, British soldier (born 1861)
1933 - Sara Teasdale, American poet (born 1884)
1934 - Fritz Haber, German chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (born 1868)
1946 - Harry Hopkins, American politician (born 1890)
1951 - Frank Tarrant, Australian cricketer (born 1880)
1956 - H. L. Mencken, American journalist (born 1880)
1962 - Fritz Kreisler, Austrian violinist (born 1875)
1963 - Robert Frost, American poet (born 1874)
1964 - Alan Ladd, American actor (born 1913)
1969 - Allen Dulles, American Central Intelligence Agency director
(born 1893)
1970 - Basil Liddell Hart, British military historian (born 1895)
1977 - Buster Nupen, South African cricketer (born 1902)
1977 - Freddie Prinze, American actor and comedian (born 1954)
1980 - Jimmy Durante, American actor, singer, and comedian (born 1893)
1986 - Leif Erickson, American actor (born 1911)
1989 - Halina Konopacka Polish athlete (born 1900)
1991 - Yasushi Inoue, Japanese historian (born 1907)
1992 - Willie Dixon, American composer and musician (born 1915)
1998 - Joseph Alioto, Mayor of San Francisco (born 1916)
1999 - Lili St. Cyr, American dancer (born 1918)
2002 - Dick "Night Train" Lane, American football player (born 1928)
2002 - Harold Russell, Canadian-born actor (born 1914)
2003 - Frank Moss, U.S. Senator from Utah (born 1911)
2004 - M. M. Kaye, British writer (born 1908)
2004 - Joe Viterelli, American actor (born 1937)
2005 - Eric Griffiths, Welsh guitarist (The Quarrymen) (born 1940)

The BBC's "On This Day" page:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/29

Hope you've had a great day!

-zoara-

--
Highly susceptible to memetic reprogramming

PeterD

Jan 29, 2006, 1:54:34 PM1/29/06
Happy birthday, Daniele! I apologise for calling you a duh in another
thread. I didn't know it was your birthday.
Tomorrow you can be a duh again.

> You share your birthday with
> 1945 - Tom Selleck, American actor

Ah! Suddenly the goatee makes sense.

> 2004 - A whale explodes in the town of Tainan, Taiwan. A build-up of gas
> in the decomposing 56-foot long Sperm whale is suspected of
> causing the explosion.

Funny how some things are spookily appropriate, and some not at all.

--
Pd

Ian McCall

Jan 29, 2006, 1:56:33 PM1/29/06
On 2006-01-29 18:43:11 +0000, m...@privacy.net (zoara) said:

> 1996 - First release of Duke Nukem 3D.

!

2396 - First playable beta of Duke Nukem Forever.

Happy birthday.

Cheers,
Ian

Bella Jones

Jan 29, 2006, 2:55:15 PM1/29/06
zoara <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Time to wheel out the cake and candles again, boys and girls... This
> time it's Daniele's birthday.
>
> Happy birthday, Daniele!

Happy birthday, mate, and to Ian and Stuart too.

Exploding whales, blimey...

--
bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk

Chris Ridd

Jan 29, 2006, 3:23:28 PM1/29/06
On 29/1/06 6:43, in article 1h9xvzi.hi2ghd1txqzh9N%m...@privacy.net, "zoara"
<m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Time to wheel out the cake and candles again, boys and girls... This
> time it's Daniele's birthday.
>
> Happy birthday, Daniele!
>
> You share your birthday with
>

> 1952 - Tommy Ramone, Hungarian-born musician and record producer
> (The Ramones)

Coo!

> Hope you've had a great day!

I hope you avoided any exploding Wales too.

Cheers,

Chris

David Kennedy

Jan 29, 2006, 3:31:51 PM1/29/06
On 29/1/06 6:43 pm, zoara wrote:

> Time to wheel out the cake and candles again, boys and girls... This
> time it's Daniele's birthday.
>
> Happy birthday, Daniele!

Ah. That explains it.

I hope you had a good one you obstreperous old bugger.

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com

Sara Kirk

Jan 29, 2006, 4:00:07 PM1/29/06
<m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Happy birthday, Daniele!

Wishing you more candles and cake than you can shake a stick at :-)

--
Sara

Owls are smaller than people think

D.M. Procida

Jan 29, 2006, 4:19:58 PM1/29/06
zoara <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Time to wheel out the cake and candles again, boys and girls... This
> time it's Daniele's birthday.
>
> Happy birthday, Daniele!

Wahey, 17 again! Thank you.

Just feeling human agian after a bath and supper. This weekend I have
driven this:

<http://www.esquivalier.com/wp-content/uploads/bighugetruck.jpg>

well over 400 miles (as well as loaded it up to the brim and unloaded it
again) so it's all been pretty exhausting.

For the first five or so hours of those 400 miles I was marvelling both
at its amazing performance and how the perspective reduces the apaprent
speed of travel. Then I realised that I was reading km/h from the
speedometer, and that I'd been speeding along nearly 200 miles at an
impressive 40 mph or so.

Cheers everyone!

Daniele

PeterD

Jan 29, 2006, 4:29:32 PM1/29/06
D.M. Procida <real-not-anti...@apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:

> This weekend I have driven this: bighugetruck.jpg well over 400 miles

> (as well as loaded it up to the brim and unloaded it again)

What with?
Sounds like the old "helping a rellie/friend move house" routine.

--
Pd

Woody

Jan 29, 2006, 4:46:48 PM1/29/06
D.M. Procida <real-not-anti...@apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:

You moving somewhere?

Happy birthday either way

--
Woody
Alienrat Design Ltd

Peter Ceresole

Jan 29, 2006, 5:07:43 PM1/29/06
zoara <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Happy birthday, Daniele!

904 - Sergius III comes out of retirement to take over the papacy from
the deposed Pope Christopher.

Seems appropriate for some reason.
--
Peter

David Kennedy

Jan 29, 2006, 6:34:37 PM1/29/06
On 29/1/06 9:00 pm, Sara Kirk wrote:

> In article <1h9xvzi.hi2ghd1txqzh9N%m...@privacy.net>, zoara
> <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>

>>Happy birthday, Daniele!
>

> Wishing you more candles and cake than you can shake a stick at :-)

Don't say that. The heat's already going to be pretty fierce.....

David Kennedy

Jan 29, 2006, 6:36:16 PM1/29/06

Very enjoyable nevertheless. I'm sure you had a great time. Did you take
the kids ?

zoara

Jan 29, 2006, 7:22:09 PM1/29/06
PeterD <pd....@dsl.pipex.invalid> wrote:

> > 2004 - A whale explodes in the town of Tainan, Taiwan. A build-up of gas
> > in the decomposing 56-foot long Sperm whale is suspected of
> > causing the explosion.
>
> Funny how some things are spookily appropriate, and some not at all.

Daniele: bad gas in Whales.

Is that what you meant?

-z-

PeterD

Jan 29, 2006, 8:01:38 PM1/29/06
zoara <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> PeterD <pd....@dsl.pipex.invalid> wrote:
>
> > > 2004 - A whale explodes in the town of Tainan, Taiwan. A build-up of gas
> > > in the decomposing 56-foot long Sperm whale is suspected of
> > > causing the explosion.
> >
> > Funny how some things are spookily appropriate, and some not at all.
>
> Daniele: bad gas in Whales.
>
> Is that what you meant?

If that's what you want it to mean.

--
Pd

Jim

Jan 30, 2006, 1:42:12 AM1/30/06
zoara <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Time to wheel out the cake and candles again, boys and girls... This
> time it's Daniele's birthday.
>
> Happy birthday, Daniele!

Indeed, happy birthday laddie.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2

Is anyone interested in helping contribute to a whisky podcast? If so,
please visit http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk/theDram/ thank you.

D.M. Procida

Jan 30, 2006, 2:22:49 AM1/30/06
David Kennedy <davidk...@dmnc.NOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> > For the first five or so hours of those 400 miles I was marvelling both
> > at its amazing performance and how the perspective reduces the apaprent
> > speed of travel. Then I realised that I was reading km/h from the
> > speedometer, and that I'd been speeding along nearly 200 miles at an
> > impressive 40 mph or so.
>
> Very enjoyable nevertheless. I'm sure you had a great time. Did you take
> the kids ?

Actually, enjoyable is not how I would describe it. My father was moving
house. It was quite exhausting, for various different reasons, to the
point where late yesterday afternoon I was if not actually
hallucinating, but definitely nearly seeing things that weren't there.

But it's done now. There's maybe just a transit van load left, for
another time. And the unpacking.

Daniele

Flavio Matani

Jan 30, 2006, 6:48:43 AM1/30/06
zoara <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Time to wheel out the cake and candles again, boys and girls... This
> time it's Daniele's birthday.
>
> Happy birthday, Daniele!

Yay, happy birthday! have a good one!

--
flavio matani
guitar tuition

David Kennedy

Jan 30, 2006, 10:30:52 AM1/30/06
On 30/1/06 7:22 am, D.M. Procida wrote:

> Actually, enjoyable is not how I would describe it. My father was moving
> house. It was quite exhausting, for various different reasons, to the
> point where late yesterday afternoon I was if not actually
> hallucinating, but definitely nearly seeing things that weren't there.

I bet you had fun driving the truck though.

> But it's done now. There's maybe just a transit van load left, for
> another time. And the unpacking.

Unpacking you can safely leave to others....

Moving, especially for relatives, is a painful experience. On our last
move we couldn't find a decent firm who would do the job - everyone said
they couldn't get their vehicles down the lanes etc. - so we ended up
with help from the family. Slight signs of stress were noted....