Lost a font!

D.M. Procida

Dec 14, 2008, 6:07:44 PM12/14/08
I've lost a font! It was one I got free, from, I think, some Mac-related
website.

It was called something like Titles, or Film or Screen or Movie, and it
looked rather like the lettering on Talking Heads's Stop Making Sense
(see:

<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e0/Stop_Making_Sense_-_Talki
ng_Heads.jpg>)

Does ring any bells?

Daniele

Mark

Dec 14, 2008, 6:24:57 PM12/14/08
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:07:44 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote
(in article
<1iryo05.71ctbeoh909fN%real-not-anti...@apple-juice.co.uk>):

Oh yes - it's a great album.

Cheers ... Mark

Peter Constantine

Dec 14, 2008, 7:36:36 PM12/14/08
Daniele wrote:

> I've lost a font! It was one I got free, from, I think, some Mac-related
> website.
>
> It was called something like Titles, or Film or Screen or Movie, and it
> looked rather like the lettering on Talking Heads's Stop Making Sense

Sounds a bit like this one...

http://www.dafont.com/sf-movie-poster.font

Chris Ridd

Dec 15, 2008, 2:08:35 AM12/15/08
On 2008-12-15 00:36:36 +0000, const...@xsublime.demon.co.uk (Peter
Constantine) said:

The lettering on SMS looked more hand-drawn.
--
Chris

D.M. Procida

Dec 15, 2008, 2:25:27 AM12/15/08
Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:

> >> I've lost a font! It was one I got free, from, I think, some Mac-related
> >> website.
> >>
> >> It was called something like Titles, or Film or Screen or Movie, and it
> >> looked rather like the lettering on Talking Heads's Stop Making Sense
> >
> > Sounds a bit like this one...
> >
> > http://www.dafont.com/sf-movie-poster.font
>
> The lettering on SMS looked more hand-drawn.

I found it. It's called Tall Films.

<http://www.dafont.com/tall-films.font>

It's not quite as I remember it though, and sadly not nearly as good as
the Stop Making Sense lettering.

Daniele

sin...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2009, 9:39:01 PM1/17/09
Hello,
I has been found a website at http://refont.com , they have 35,000.00
great fonts for free.
Great site!

justi...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2013, 2:00:40 PM3/12/13
There was one called Paolo.TTF (or maybe Paolo skinny or something?) that was very much like the opening titles font, but I can't currently find it!
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

D.M. Procida

Mar 14, 2013, 7:10:52 PM3/14/13
<justi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:07:44 PM UTC-8, D.M. Procida wrote:
> > I've lost a font! It was one I got free, from, I think, some Mac-related
> > website.
> >
> > It was called something like Titles, or Film or Screen or Movie, and it
> > looked rather like the lettering on Talking Heads's Stop Making Sense
> > (see:
> >
> > <http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e0/Stop_Making_Sense_-_Talki
> > ng_Heads.jpg>)

> There was one called Paolo.TTF (or maybe Paolo skinny or something?) that
> was very much like the opening titles font, but I can't currently find
> it!

The one I was remembering was called Tall Films, but it wasn't really
like the lettering I wanted after all.

Daniele

Elliott Roper

Mar 14, 2013, 11:00:20 PM3/14/13
In article
<1kzqvye.82u32x7r8htsN%real-not-anti...@apple-juice.co.uk>,
The combination of that G and K is fairly rare.

Latin Modern Sans Demi Cond is free (with TeX) and has G and K
matching your sample, but is less condensed.

After looking at larger images of that album art, I reckon that it was
hand lettered. You would be hard pushed to get anything as spindly as
that big "STOP" in a commercial face and it is far more condensed than
the "MAKING". Look at the O in STOP, it has a hand lettered wobble
about 4 o'clock.

A little more Googling reveals that the typography credits for Stop
Making Sense go to Pablo Ferro, who turns out to be the doyen of hand
lettered film title sequences.

Google Images for "Pablo Ferro Font Stop Making Sense" and you will see
some of his work and a few parody fonts too. (Including "Pablo Skinny"
so Justinhook was one letter away.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

Elliott Roper

Mar 17, 2013, 3:05:52 PM3/17/13
In article
<1kzstel.52mznn4z97p2N%real-addr...@flur.bltigibbet.invalid>,
Rowland McDonnell <real-addr...@flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> Elliott Roper <nos...@yrl.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>
> Given that the album was released in 1984, the two normal choices for
> lettering on the cover would have been Letraset or hand lettering.

Ah! Young person's music m'lud! <grin>

> It's almost certainly hand lettered. Utterly conventional for the era,
> that sort of thing.
>
> > You would be hard pushed to get anything as spindly as
> > that big "STOP" in a commercial face and it is far more condensed than
> > the "MAKING".
>
> On the other hand, digital computer distortion could have lead to that.
> Except it was 1984, the release date of the album in question - not many
> graphic artists were using digital computers in those days, and even
> fewer to produce stuff looking like the album cover in question
> (possibly none, for that particular job - I'm not exactly hugely
> informed on the subject).
Good point with the date. That settles it for hand lettered.
It would have possible to do that with computers then but highly
unlikely to be done outside Evans and Sutherland.

Superman (1978) is credited with being the first movie with a computer
generated title sequence.
which Wikipedia article led me to:
http://design.osu.edu/carlson/history/timeline.html
...and I wallowed in nostalgia for quite a while. (I had been doing
computer typesetting and a little graphics at work for 8 years before
Superman was released)
At that time, you could just about guarantee that only a very few would
have given a moment's thought to making their output look hand-drawn, I
certainly didn't, the whole point of computer typography was to produce
beautiful type with investing in tons of expensive machinery and swarms
of tradesmen.

About 1990 comic book artists were starting with faking hand lettering
(e.g Todd Klein, Roxanne Starr)

> > Look at the O in STOP, it has a hand lettered wobble
> > about 4 o'clock.
> >
> > A little more Googling reveals that the typography credits for Stop
> > Making Sense go to Pablo Ferro, who turns out to be the doyen of hand
> > lettered film title sequences.
>
> <http://www.artofthetitle.com/designer/pablo-ferro/>
>
> Ah yes. I thought Stop Making Sense looked rather like the titles for
> Dr Strangelove, which I just happened to have watched (again) only last
> week.

Yeah, I watched it again recently. It has stood up rather well to
changing tastes in movie making hasn't it?
Message has been deleted