Rumour mill overload - event on 7th August

Steve Folly

Aug 1, 2007, 1:26:09 AM8/1/07
<http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/07/31/apple_to_host_mac_event_next_
tuesday.html>

Allegedly this is specifically a Mac related announcement - no iPhone or
iPod product announcements.

Hmmm... new iMacs then?

--
Regards,
Steve

"...which means he created the heaven and the earth... in the DARK! How good
is that?"

Jim

Aug 1, 2007, 2:07:36 AM8/1/07
Steve Folly <modera...@spfweb.co.uk> wrote:

> <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/07/31/apple_to_host_mac_event_next_
> tuesday.html>
>
> Allegedly this is specifically a Mac related announcement - no iPhone or
> iPod product announcements.
>
> Hmmm... new iMacs then?

They're long overdue, so hopefully yes.

Jim
--
Find me at : http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk
Please help to bring old whisky literature back into print - visit

Chris Ridd

Aug 1, 2007, 2:17:16 AM8/1/07
On 2007-08-01 07:07:36 +0100, j...@magrathea.plus.com (Jim) said:

> Steve Folly <modera...@spfweb.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/07/31/apple_to_host_mac_event_next_
>> tuesday.html>
>>
>> Allegedly this is specifically a Mac related announcement - no iPhone or
>> iPod product announcements.
>>
>> Hmmm... new iMacs then?
>
> They're long overdue, so hopefully yes.

So what do we actually want from a new iMac? Apart from a
pony/wombat/goat/bionic owl, which will obviously be amongst the new
features?

Cheers,

Chris

Jim

Aug 1, 2007, 3:20:21 AM8/1/07
On 2007-08-01, Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:

>>> Hmmm... new iMacs then?
>>
>> They're long overdue, so hopefully yes.
>
> So what do we actually want from a new iMac? Apart from a
> pony/wombat/goat/bionic owl, which will obviously be amongst the new
> features?

Larger hard drives, more RAM as standard, better graphics. *Especially*
better graphics.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk
"Inspiring bold John Barleycorn! What dangers thou canst make us scorn!

Wayne Stuart

Aug 1, 2007, 5:23:20 AM8/1/07
Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:

Simple user replaceable hard drive (etc), like on the rev 1 & 2 iG5.

And a built in beer chiller.

--
This message was brought to you by Wayne Stuart - Have a nice day!

Reasons why not to choose Macintosh... debunked:
<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wssenterprises/whynotmacfaq/>

Arthur

Aug 1, 2007, 5:30:22 AM8/1/07
Jim wrote:

> Chris Ridd wrote:
>> So what do we actually want from a new iMac? Apart from a
>> pony/wombat/goat/bionic owl, which will obviously be amongst the new
>> features?
>
> Larger hard drives, more RAM as standard, better graphics. *Especially*
> better graphics.

AOL on the better graphics, I'd also like an eSATA port and an extra
SODIMM slot.

Arthur

Chris Ridd

Aug 1, 2007, 6:21:55 AM8/1/07

Yes, much better graphics and eSATA would be a good move. Isn't there
eSATA on the MacPro/MacBookPro?

Cheers,

Chris

J. J. Lodder

Aug 1, 2007, 6:30:12 AM8/1/07
Wayne Stuart <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:

> > > They're long overdue, so hopefully yes.
> >
> > So what do we actually want from a new iMac? Apart from a
> > pony/wombat/goat/bionic owl, which will obviously be amongst the new
> > features?
>
> Simple user replaceable hard drive (etc), like on the rev 1 & 2 iG5.
>
> And a built in beer chiller.

Design is the art of leaving things out,

Jan

James Dore

Aug 1, 2007, 7:49:14 AM8/1/07
Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:

No, unless it's a BTO option. I have both.

Cheers,
--
james dore
IT Officer,

Chris Ridd

Aug 1, 2007, 8:55:07 AM8/1/07
On 2007-08-01 12:49:14 +0100, james...@new.ox.ac.uk (James Dore) said:

> Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:

>>> AOL on the better graphics, I'd also like an eSATA port and an extra
>>> SODIMM slot.
>>
>> Yes, much better graphics and eSATA would be a good move. Isn't there
>> eSATA on the MacPro/MacBookPro?
>
> No, unless it's a BTO option. I have both.

Ta. OK, eSATA connectors can definitely go on the list :-)

Cheers,

Chris

Tom Warner

Aug 1, 2007, 9:44:38 AM8/1/07
Jim <j...@magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> > Hmmm... new iMacs then?
>
> They're long overdue, so hopefully yes.

They should have arrived days ago.

My new iiMac is over a week old and I expected the new boys within
hours;)

Very nice it is btw.

As for this event, I'm hoping for a solid state sub-notebook har, har
--
With or without religion,
you would have good people doing good things

Steve Firth

Aug 1, 2007, 9:30:34 AM8/1/07
James Dore <james...@new.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> > Yes, much better graphics and eSATA would be a good move. Isn't there
> > eSATA on the MacPro/MacBookPro?
>
> No, unless it's a BTO option. I have both.

The only eSATA I'm aware of is an eSATA ExpressCard/34 offering.

Flavio Matani

Aug 1, 2007, 10:44:27 AM8/1/07
Wayne Stuart <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:

> > > They're long overdue, so hopefully yes.
> >
> > So what do we actually want from a new iMac? Apart from a
> > pony/wombat/goat/bionic owl, which will obviously be amongst the new
> > features?
>
> Simple user replaceable hard drive (etc), like on the rev 1 & 2 iG5.
>
> And a built in beer chiller.

More likely a coffee warmer....

(well, in the olden days you used to get a coffee mug holder...)

--
flavio matani guitar tuition
fla...@flaviomatani.co.uk

Tim Gowen

Aug 1, 2007, 1:47:33 PM8/1/07
Tom Warner <t...@dfind.com> wrote:

> Jim <j...@magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hmmm... new iMacs then?
> >
> > They're long overdue, so hopefully yes.
>
> They should have arrived days ago.
>
> My new iiMac is over a week old and I expected the new boys within
> hours;)
>
> Very nice it is btw.

I plan to replace my 17" iLamp at the beginning of next year. Thing is,
I still love it and have no real problems with it apart from the lack of
USB2 for my iPod and... well, that the new ones I've used are faster.

But I always get excited at new Apple computers. Not so much iPods and
Phones...

Tim

--
Tim Gowen

Alan Frame

Aug 1, 2007, 5:12:53 PM8/1/07
Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:

> So what do we actually want from a new iMac? Apart from a
> pony/wombat/goat/bionic owl, which will obviously be amongst the new
> features?

Hardware RAID.

Oh, and a goose.

Onna stick.

rgds, Alan
--
99 Ducati 748BP, 95 Ducati 600SS, 81 Guzzi Monza, 74 MV Agusta 350
"Ride to Work, Work to Ride" SI# 7.067 DoD#1930 PGP Key 0xBDED56C5

PeterD

Aug 1, 2007, 5:45:39 PM8/1/07
Alan Frame <alan....@acm.org> wrote:

> Oh, and a goose.
>
> Onna stick.

Bend over, I'll goose you with a stick.

--
Pd

Steve Kearney

Aug 1, 2007, 6:24:41 PM8/1/07
OK, I'll bend, what's a Skitch invite?

On 1/8/07 22:45, in article
1i26v7r.1dixztvlcij7kN%pd....@dsl.pipex.invalid, "PeterD"

Ian McCall

Aug 1, 2007, 6:32:42 PM8/1/07
On 2007-08-01 22:12:53 +0100, alan....@acm.org (Alan Frame) said:

> Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> So what do we actually want from a new iMac? Apart from a
>> pony/wombat/goat/bionic owl, which will obviously be amongst the new
>> features?
>
> Hardware RAID.
>
> Oh, and a goose.

I once said boo to a goose you know. In York. It didn't seem to care
very much though.

Cheers,
Ian

David

Aug 1, 2007, 6:40:08 PM8/1/07
In article <5hcg0cF...@mid.individual.net> Ian

I was checking out the rumours and most suggest it is going to be the
spec of the new macbook pros with the new design. Nervously i think it
is fair to say there isn't a massive desire to upgrade my new imac. I
have promised my wife no upgrade for 2-3 years :) so I am convincing
myself :)

David

David

Aug 1, 2007, 6:42:58 PM8/1/07
In article <C2D6C66B.2763%steve....@bt.com> Steve

Kearney<steve....@bt.com> wrote:
> OK, I'll bend, what's a Skitch invite?

tis what you have in your mailbox :) I just sent you one. Skitch is
great.

David

Steve Kearney

Aug 1, 2007, 6:47:42 PM8/1/07

Aha, so spam then!!

I think I used my work email with Entourage, no doubt it's chewed it up cos
it's not gone 'blleerrbliii-ong..' like Entourage does....

Checking now, can't wait to Skitch! I looked it up on wiki and it was some
Jazz drummer or sth...

Ben Shimmin

Aug 1, 2007, 6:48:32 PM8/1/07
David <davidj...@hotmail.com>:

Could you invite me too please? I don't really understand what it does,
but I feel left out. Does it have anything to do with geese?

b.

--
<b...@bas.me.uk> <URL:http://bas.me.uk/>
`The argument from design sometimes takes a rather curious form; for instance,

Steve Kearney

Aug 1, 2007, 6:49:37 PM8/1/07

On 1/8/07 23:48, in article slrn.2007-08...@candide.bas.me.uk, "Ben
Shimmin" <b...@llamaselector.com> wrote:

> David <davidj...@hotmail.com>:
>> In article <C2D6C66B.2763%steve....@bt.com> Steve
>> Kearney<steve....@bt.com> wrote:
>>> OK, I'll bend, what's a Skitch invite?
>>
>> tis what you have in your mailbox :) I just sent you one. Skitch is
>> great.
>
> Could you invite me too please? I don't really understand what it does,
> but I feel left out. Does it have anything to do with geese?
>
> b.

Let's face it - nobody actually really wants one or knows what it does, it;s
pure paranoia....

David

Aug 1, 2007, 7:02:18 PM8/1/07
In article <slrn.2007-08...@candide.bas.me.uk> Ben

Shimmin<b...@llamaselector.com> wrote:
> David <davidj...@hotmail.com>:
>> In article <C2D6C66B.2763%steve....@bt.com> Steve
>> Kearney<steve....@bt.com> wrote:
>>> OK, I'll bend, what's a Skitch invite?

>> tis what you have in your mailbox :) I just sent you one. Skitch
>> is great.

> Could you invite me too please? I don't really understand what it

> does,but I feel left out. Does it have anything to do with geese?

> b.

No probs Ben, sent now,

David

Ben Shimmin

Aug 1, 2007, 7:08:53 PM8/1/07
David <davidj...@hotmail.com>:

> In article <slrn.2007-08...@candide.bas.me.uk> Ben
> Shimmin<b...@llamaselector.com> wrote:

[...]

>> Could you invite me too please? I don't really understand what it

>> does, but I feel left out. Does it have anything to do with geese?

> No probs Ben, sent now,

Thanks David. This has been the easiest cabal to get into ever!

b.

Stick and stones may break my bones,
ma posso mangiare il vetro e non mi fa male.

Steve Kearney

Aug 1, 2007, 7:36:34 PM8/1/07

On 2/8/07 00:08, in article slrn.2007-08...@candide.bas.me.uk, "Ben
Shimmin" <b...@llamaselector.com> wrote:

> David <davidj...@hotmail.com>:
>> In article <slrn.2007-08...@candide.bas.me.uk> Ben
>> Shimmin<b...@llamaselector.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Could you invite me too please? I don't really understand what it
>>> does, but I feel left out. Does it have anything to do with geese?
>>
>> No probs Ben, sent now,
>
> Thanks David. This has been the easiest cabal to get into ever!
>
> b.

Yeah, where's the Oink invites then?

Alan Frame

Aug 1, 2007, 8:22:30 PM8/1/07
Steve Kearney <steve....@bt.com> wrote:

> <b...@llamaselector.com> wrote:
> > David <davidj...@hotmail.com>:

> >><b...@llamaselector.com> wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >>
> >> No probs Ben, sent now,
> >
> > Thanks David. This has been the easiest cabal to get into ever!

> Yeah, where's the Oink invites then?

Oink?

That's *soo* "1990 trying to be Web 2.0".

Moo! is where it's at now.

'fraid my NDA won't let me give out invites...

Chris Ridd

Aug 2, 2007, 12:22:19 AM8/2/07
On 2007-08-01 22:12:53 +0100, alan....@acm.org (Alan Frame) said:

> Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> So what do we actually want from a new iMac? Apart from a
>> pony/wombat/goat/bionic owl, which will obviously be amongst the new
>> features?
>
> Hardware RAID.

Not with ZFS in the wings, and not for an iMac.

> Oh, and a goose.
>
> Onna stick.

Inna bun too.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Ridd

Aug 2, 2007, 12:23:07 AM8/2/07
On 2007-08-02 00:08:53 +0100, Ben Shimmin <b...@llamaselector.com> said:

> David <davidj...@hotmail.com>:
>> In article <slrn.2007-08...@candide.bas.me.uk> Ben
>> Shimmin<b...@llamaselector.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Could you invite me too please? I don't really understand what it
>>> does, but I feel left out. Does it have anything to do with geese?
>>
>> No probs Ben, sent now,
>
> Thanks David. This has been the easiest cabal to get into ever!

There is no cabal.

Cheers,

Chris

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Aug 2, 2007, 6:45:54 AM8/2/07
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 22:12:53 +0100, alan....@acm.org (Alan Frame)
wrote:

>Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> So what do we actually want from a new iMac? Apart from a
>> pony/wombat/goat/bionic owl, which will obviously be amongst the new
>> features?
>
>Hardware RAID.

I'd settle for two hard drive slots what with Time Machine, let alone
the possibility of ZFS.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
>So, what do *you* do for a living?
I sit in a chair pressing small plastic rectangles with my fingers
while peering at many tiny, colored dots. -- Peter Manders

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Aug 2, 2007, 6:57:32 AM8/2/07
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 05:22:19 +0100, Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com>
wrote:

>On 2007-08-01 22:12:53 +0100, alan....@acm.org (Alan Frame) said:
>
>> Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So what do we actually want from a new iMac? Apart from a
>>> pony/wombat/goat/bionic owl, which will obviously be amongst the new
>>> features?
>>
>> Hardware RAID.
>
>Not with ZFS in the wings, and not for an iMac.

Does the PowerMac actually have hardware RAID, rather than
firmware-hosted?

Cheers - J
--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

James Dore

Aug 2, 2007, 10:53:46 AM8/2/07
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

No, as far as I'm aware, there's never been any hardware raid in a Mac,
at least not without the purchase of an expansion card, which are rare
and expensive.

All the raid provided by OS X is software. not even firmware (software
onna chip)

Tom Warner

Aug 2, 2007, 1:09:46 PM8/2/07
Tim Gowen <t...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I plan to replace my 17" iLamp at the beginning of next year. Thing is,
> I still love it and have no real problems with it apart from the lack of
> USB2 for my iPod and... well, that the new ones I've used are faster.

Yeah there's something about the iLamp.

My daughter steadfastly refuses any suggestion of a new computer because
she wants to keep hers (17").

T i m

Aug 2, 2007, 2:47:11 PM8/2/07
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 15:44:27 +0100, flavio_matani...@mac.com
(Flavio Matani) wrote:

>More likely a coffee warmer....
>
>(well, in the olden days you used to get a coffee mug holder...)

And you still do in these modern days and they also allow you to read
all sizes / shapes of CD ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Alan Frame

Aug 2, 2007, 3:36:23 PM8/2/07
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 22:12:53 +0100, alan....@acm.org (Alan Frame)
> wrote:
>
> >Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:
> >
> >> So what do we actually want from a new iMac? Apart from a
> >> pony/wombat/goat/bionic owl, which will obviously be amongst the new
> >> features?
> >
> >Hardware RAID.
>
> I'd settle for two hard drive slots what with Time Machine, let alone
> the possibility of ZFS.

Fair point - 'tho I quite like the idea of software RAID with an
external drive - so if the iMac dies, you can split the array and use
one of the drives on another machine - anyone know if this works ?
It does with Linux software raid (well, that's with internal IDE drives,
but YSWIM)

That, plus Time Machine to an NFS volume would do me nicely.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Aug 2, 2007, 5:13:45 PM8/2/07
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 15:53:46 +0100, james...@new.ox.ac.uk (James
Dore) wrote:

>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> Does the PowerMac actually have hardware RAID, rather than
>> firmware-hosted?
>

>No, as far as I'm aware, there's never been any hardware raid in a Mac,
>at least not without the purchase of an expansion card, which are rare
>and expensive.

Didn't think so.

>All the raid provided by OS X is software. not even firmware (software
>onna chip)

There must be something in the boot code that understands RAID, since
you can boot off a raid set.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it
flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Aug 2, 2007, 5:16:40 PM8/2/07
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 20:36:23 +0100, alan....@acm.org (Alan Frame)
wrote:

>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 22:12:53 +0100, alan....@acm.org (Alan Frame)
>> wrote:

>> >Hardware RAID.
>>
>> I'd settle for two hard drive slots what with Time Machine, let alone
>> the possibility of ZFS.
>
>Fair point - 'tho I quite like the idea of software RAID with an
>external drive - so if the iMac dies, you can split the array and use
>one of the drives on another machine - anyone know if this works ?

Bloody ought to, mirroring wouldn't be worth anything otherwise. Even
Windows can manage that.

Cheers - J
--
A Jesus of mass J travelling at a speed of 27 meters/second collides with a
stationary Moses of mass M. Assuming any elastic deformation is lossless and

Alan Frame

Aug 2, 2007, 5:41:44 PM8/2/07
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> alan....@acm.org (Alan Frame) wrote:
[]

> >Fair point - 'tho I quite like the idea of software RAID with an
> >external drive - so if the iMac dies, you can split the array and use
> >one of the drives on another machine - anyone know if this works ?
>
> Bloody ought to, mirroring wouldn't be worth anything otherwise. Even
> Windows can manage that.

Hehehe - is that the voice of experience I hear?

I *have* split linux raid when a mobo died - apart from a couple of
anaconda "Ooh, new NIC, Err, only one CPU?"-style messages, ItWorks(tm)
- donno what windows would do about drivers etc...

(Anyway, who runs windows on bare metal these days - haven't we all
virtualised it?)

Yeah, it belongs in asr, but verily I have on occasions uttered unto the
PHB: "There's fsck(sic) all point in having RAID unless you've got a
spare to hand - trawling eBay for 9Gb Dell SCSI drives doesn't count"

(The answer to what happens when the backplane dies is another box in a
different datacenter with MySQL replication and 15min cron'd rsync, BTW.
IMO a DNS-flip to that beats Dell 4-hour callout by around 8 hours....)

I (r)sync stuff between 4 Macs, and have a spare, pristine 250Gb drive
in my desk drawer ready for when the 2*2*250 raid on my swerver dies....

T i m

Aug 2, 2007, 6:03:05 PM8/2/07
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 22:41:44 +0100, alan....@acm.org (Alan Frame)
wrote:

>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

>> alan....@acm.org (Alan Frame) wrote:
>[]
>> >Fair point - 'tho I quite like the idea of software RAID with an
>> >external drive - so if the iMac dies, you can split the array and use
>> >one of the drives on another machine - anyone know if this works ?
>>
>> Bloody ought to, mirroring wouldn't be worth anything otherwise. Even
>> Windows can manage that.
>
>Hehehe - is that the voice of experience I hear?
>
>I *have* split linux raid when a mobo died - apart from a couple of
>anaconda "Ooh, new NIC, Err, only one CPU?"-style messages, ItWorks(tm)
>- donno what windows would do about drivers etc...
>
>(Anyway, who runs windows on bare metal these days - haven't we all
>virtualised it?)

Not all of us!

Onboard RAID5 (3X250g), eSATA, fast graphics .. what else was on the
new Mac wish list? ;-)

Ian McCall

Aug 2, 2007, 6:43:23 PM8/2/07
On 2007-08-02 23:03:05 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> said:

> ...Onboard RAID5 (3X250g),

That's likely to be software RAID though - particularly so if it's
on-board. Hardware RAID would be nice.

Not that I won't take what's given - I run software RAID on my co-lo
server with great success.

Cheers,
Ian

T i m

Aug 2, 2007, 7:01:44 PM8/2/07
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 23:43:23 +0100, Ian McCall <i...@eruvia.org> wrote:

>On 2007-08-02 23:03:05 +0100, T i m <ne...@spaced.me.uk> said:
>
>> ...Onboard RAID5 (3X250g),
>
>That's likely to be software RAID though - particularly so if it's
>on-board. Hardware RAID would be nice.

Could be right although it's not the same as when I used to do it
under NT[1] in that I believe the RAID array is configured (though
it's own BIOS) *before* you install yer OS? It's an Intel RAID chipset
of some sort.

>Not that I won't take what's given - I run software RAID on my co-lo
>server with great success.

I have the system and data partitions spread across the array and
another 250G drive in a removable (SATAII) internal tray with Vista on
it ..(not that I run that much ..). That way I can 'see' the Vista
drive from XP etc if I choose.

All the best ..

T i m

[1] I re-discovered an old NT server during a clear out today .. soft
RAID via 5 * 9G Wide SCSI drives ... and a load of old Macs .. what
*do* I do with them?

Alan Frame

Aug 2, 2007, 7:41:11 PM8/2/07
Ian McCall <i...@eruvia.org> wrote:

That's close to my point - I want:

Hardware raid - inna bun - so that I don't care if^Wwhen a disk dies,
(not too fussed about hot-swap)

but I also want:

Software raid - onna stick - so that I don't care if^Wwhen something
*other* than a disk dies - I'm assuming that spare, but not
fully-duplicated - chassis and/or external enclosures and/or other whole
machines are available anyway.

Lemme think - given an iMac with Leotard/Time Machine & and an
NFS-share, how long would it take me to be up and running with the *same
data* on my MacBokoPro?

As they say "MTTR is often more important than MTBF"....

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Aug 3, 2007, 8:12:42 AM8/3/07
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 00:41:11 +0100, alan....@acm.org (Alan Frame)
wrote:

>Lemme think - given an iMac with Leotard/Time Machine & and an

>NFS-share, how long would it take me to be up and running with the *same
>data* on my MacBokoPro?

Fire up the MBP in Target mode, CCC (or whatever) the boot disk over,
job done.

If the iMac has died you'd need some method of mounting the 3.5" SATA
drive from it onto the MBP, eg an external caddy. Then CCC the boot
disk over, job done.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex."
-- Marvin the Martian

Alan Frame

Aug 3, 2007, 1:35:18 PM8/3/07
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 00:41:11 +0100, alan....@acm.org (Alan Frame)
> wrote:
>
> >Lemme think - given an iMac with Leotard/Time Machine & and an
> >NFS-share, how long would it take me to be up and running with the *same
> >data* on my MacBokoPro?
>
> Fire up the MBP in Target mode, CCC (or whatever) the boot disk over,
> job done.

You mean replace the dead iMac disk, then jumpstart it from the MBP and
recover the rest from Time Machine-over-NFS?

> If the iMac has died you'd need some method of mounting the 3.5" SATA
> drive from it onto the MBP, eg an external caddy. Then CCC the boot
> disk over, job done.

Yes - the second example is why I want half the raid on an external FW
drive that can be simply plugged into another machine.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Aug 3, 2007, 4:58:52 PM8/3/07
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:35:18 +0100, alan....@acm.org (Alan Frame)
wrote:

>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 00:41:11 +0100, alan....@acm.org (Alan Frame)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Lemme think - given an iMac with Leotard/Time Machine & and an
>> >NFS-share, how long would it take me to be up and running with the *same
>> >data* on my MacBokoPro?
>>
>> Fire up the MBP in Target mode, CCC (or whatever) the boot disk over,
>> job done.
>
>You mean replace the dead iMac disk, then jumpstart it from the MBP and
>recover the rest from Time Machine-over-NFS?

Not to do what you specced above - no time machione needede. Actully,
it's even simpler than I wrote: if you've got at least one iMac mirror
still working, you just need to connect it to the MBP over USB or
firewire and boot off it. Image to the internal if you like.

>Yes - the second example is why I want half the raid on an external FW
>drive that can be simply plugged into another machine.

Sensible indeed. I'd still like to have two internal drive slots
though.

(Not as much as I'd like a screenless Mac SemiPro, or perhaps a Mac
Maxi, made out of the other parts of an iMac)