Help - where is /etc/?

瀏覽次數:0 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Bill Gates's Verucca

未讀,
2002年5月24日 上午9:36:362002/5/24
收件者:
I'm trying to configure a new Cisco VPN client in MacOS X and it tells
me to put a profile in the /etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/Profiles/
directory.
The problem is I can't find the directory (or any /etc/ directory!)
HELP!
TIA

--
Don't email me as the address is not mine - it's Bill's!

Rexx Magnus

未讀,
2002年5月24日 上午9:41:522002/5/24
收件者:
Bill Gates's Verucca woke up on Fri, 24 May 2002 13:36:36 GMT and sat in
uk.comp.sys.mac writing in message news:1fcoz2b.1rdp8yt18k2k76N%b...@msn.com

> I'm trying to configure a new Cisco VPN client in MacOS X and it tells
> me to put a profile in the /etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/Profiles/
> directory.
> The problem is I can't find the directory (or any /etc/ directory!)
> HELP!
> TIA

It's one of the invisible folders in the root of the drive IIRC. Should be
able to see it from the terminal.

--
UO & AC Herbal - http://www.rexx.co.uk/herbal
Http://www.Deane-Saunders.co.uk

To email me change the domain to one of the above.

Bill Gates's Verucca

未讀,
2002年5月24日 上午9:48:332002/5/24
收件者:
Rexx Magnus <rexxm...@myrex.co.uk> wrote:

> Bill Gates's Verucca woke up on Fri, 24 May 2002 13:36:36 GMT and sat in
> uk.comp.sys.mac writing in message news:1fcoz2b.1rdp8yt18k2k76N%b...@msn.com
>
> > I'm trying to configure a new Cisco VPN client in MacOS X and it tells
> > me to put a profile in the /etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/Profiles/
> > directory.
> > The problem is I can't find the directory (or any /etc/ directory!)
> > HELP!
> > TIA
> >

> It's one of the invisible folders in the root of the drive IIRC. Should be
> able to see it from the terminal.

I'm in the terminal as root and I've just done ls and it ain't there.
Any other ideas?

Rexx Magnus

未讀,
2002年5月24日 上午9:51:362002/5/24
收件者:
Bill Gates's Verucca woke up on Fri, 24 May 2002 13:48:33 GMT and sat in
uk.comp.sys.mac writing in message news:1fcozrt.1erft3puogh1cN%b...@msn.com

> I'm in the terminal as root and I've just done ls and it ain't there.
> Any other ideas?
> TIA

Oh, could be in private then maybe. Not too sure about all those
directories. Maybe it was a file called etc that I found in root.

James Savage

未讀,
2002年5月24日 上午11:48:502002/5/24
收件者:
Rexx Magnus <rexxm...@myrex.co.uk> wrote:

> Bill Gates's Verucca woke up on Fri, 24 May 2002 13:48:33 GMT and sat in
> uk.comp.sys.mac writing in message news:1fcozrt.1erft3puogh1cN%b...@msn.com
>
> > I'm in the terminal as root and I've just done ls and it ain't there.
> > Any other ideas?
> > TIA
>
> Oh, could be in private then maybe. Not too sure about all those
> directories. Maybe it was a file called etc that I found in root.

open terminal
su
[password]
cd /etc

there you go!
--
James
http://www.countb.co.uk/

Woody

未讀,
2002年5月24日 下午1:22:072002/5/24
收件者:
On 24/5/02 2:51 pm, in article Xns9218977BDFB...@130.133.1.4,
"Rexx Magnus" <rexxm...@myrex.co.uk> wrote:

>> I'm in the terminal as root and I've just done ls and it ain't there.
>> Any other ideas?
>> TIA
>
> Oh, could be in private then maybe. Not too sure about all those
> directories. Maybe it was a file called etc that I found in root.

It is actually in /private but its aliased to the root.
If you go into the terminal and type cd /etc and it doesn't work then you
have a big problem :)

[rattus:~] alienrat% cd /etc
[rattus:/etc] alienrat%

Woody

Jonas Voss

未讀,
2002年5月24日 下午6:40:022002/5/24
收件者:
In article <1fcoz2b.1rdp8yt18k2k76N%b...@msn.com>, Bill Gates's Verucca
<b...@msn.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to configure a new Cisco VPN client in MacOS X and it tells
> me to put a profile in the /etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/Profiles/
> directory.
> The problem is I can't find the directory (or any /etc/ directory!)
> HELP!

* Open a finder window
* Press pretzel+ whatever keyboard combination to get the tilde (~)
character.
* A nice window should pop up asking you what folder you'd like to go to
* Type /etc
* Pass the cheese

(;

--
| Jonas @ 55.7,12.5 | <http://verture.net/> |

Bill Gates's Verucca

未讀,
2002年5月25日 上午11:20:312002/5/25
收件者:
James Savage <ja...@countb.co.uk> wrote:

> Rexx Magnus <rexxm...@myrex.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Bill Gates's Verucca woke up on Fri, 24 May 2002 13:48:33 GMT and sat in
> > uk.comp.sys.mac writing in message news:1fcozrt.1erft3puogh1cN%b...@msn.com
> >
> > > I'm in the terminal as root and I've just done ls and it ain't there.
> > > Any other ideas?
> > > TIA
> >
> > Oh, could be in private then maybe. Not too sure about all those
> > directories. Maybe it was a file called etc that I found in root.
>
> open terminal
> su
> [password]
> cd /etc
>
> there you go!

Thanks - all sorted now!

Bill Gates's Verucca

未讀,
2002年5月25日 下午2:56:272002/5/25
收件者:
Jonas Voss <spam...@verture.net> wrote:

Very cool - I like that one.Tx.

Simon Stuart

未讀,
2002年5月26日 中午12:57:272002/5/26
收件者:
Jonas Voss:

> * Open a finder window
> * Press pretzel+ whatever keyboard combination to get the tilde (~)
> character.
> * A nice window should pop up asking you what folder you'd like to go to
> * Type /etc
> * Pass the cheese

Wow! How does one find out about stuff like this? That's *brilliant*.

Jonas Voss

未讀,
2002年5月26日 下午1:11:162002/5/26
收件者:
In article <B916D287.63CC%simonma...@btinternet.com>, Simon Stuart
<simonma...@btinternet.com> wrote:

From the keyboard shortcuts listed in the Go menu when in Finder, it
says 'Go to Folder...pretzel+~'

And yes, it _is_ brilliant, even shiny maybe (:

Simon Stuart

未讀,
2002年5月26日 下午1:19:332002/5/26
收件者:
Jonas Voss:

> From the keyboard shortcuts listed in the Go menu when in Finder, it
> says 'Go to Folder...pretzel+~'

Ah. So it does. Red face for me, I think.

> And yes, it _is_ brilliant, even shiny maybe (:

Positively iridescent!

Cheers

Jonas Voss

未讀,
2002年5月26日 下午1:29:552002/5/26
收件者:
In article <B916D7B5.63EF%simonma...@btinternet.com>, Simon Stuart
<simonma...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Jonas Voss:
>
>> From the keyboard shortcuts listed in the Go menu when in Finder, it
>> says 'Go to Folder...pretzel+~'
>
>Ah. So it does. Red face for me, I think.

Not necessarily, I only discovered it a week ago while exploring the
menus. Yes, I do have too much spare time.

>> And yes, it _is_ brilliant, even shiny maybe (:
>
>Positively iridescent!

Oh, the rays!

Simon Slavin

未讀,
2002年5月26日 下午6:35:022002/5/26
收件者:
In article <1fcozrt.1erft3puogh1cN%b...@msn.com>,

b...@msn.com (Bill Gates's Verucca) wrote:

> I'm in the terminal as root and I've just done ls and it ain't there.

Eh ? What did you type and what did it reply ?

Simon.
--
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk | [One] thing that worries me about Bush and
No junk email please. | Blair's "war on terrorism" is: how will they
| know when they've won it ? -- Terry Jones
THE FRENCH WAS THERE

Bill Gates's Verucca

未讀,
2002年5月27日 凌晨4:52:152002/5/27
收件者:
<sla...@hearsay.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <1fcozrt.1erft3puogh1cN%b...@msn.com>,
> b...@msn.com (Bill Gates's Verucca) wrote:
>
> > I'm in the terminal as root and I've just done ls and it ain't there.
>
> Eh ? What did you type and what did it reply ?

I typed ls (list) and it didn't show me /etc/ as a subdirectory. Anyway
that problem is solved now!

James Dore

未讀,
2002年5月27日 清晨6:15:152002/5/27
收件者:
Quoth Bill Gates's Verucca (b...@msn.com) in article
<1fcu5wj.ypucutq8aq1uN%b...@msn.com>

> <sla...@hearsay.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <1fcozrt.1erft3puogh1cN%b...@msn.com>,
> > b...@msn.com (Bill Gates's Verucca) wrote:
> >
> > > I'm in the terminal as root and I've just done ls and it ain't there.
> >
> > Eh ? What did you type and what did it reply ?
> >
> I typed ls (list) and it didn't show me /etc/ as a subdirectory. Anyway
> that problem is solved now!

it may be hidden - try ls -a (for all)

chrs,
--
James Dore, CNE: New College IT Officer
01865 279252

Woody

未讀,
2002年5月27日 清晨7:34:582002/5/27
收件者:

"James Dore" <james...@new.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message

> Quoth Bill Gates's Verucca (b...@msn.com) in article
> <1fcu5wj.ypucutq8aq1uN%b...@msn.com>
>
> > <sla...@hearsay.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Eh ? What did you type and what did it reply ?
> > >
> > I typed ls (list) and it didn't show me /etc/ as a subdirectory. Anyway
> > that problem is solved now!
>
> it may be hidden - try ls -a (for all)

or just 'l'

Woody

James Savage

未讀,
2002年5月27日 下午1:08:282002/5/27
收件者:
Bill Gates's Verucca <b...@msn.com> wrote:

What's the VPN client like then?

I'm hoping some decent shareware IPsec clients come out soon, I'm really
struggling with access through virtual pc.

Bill Gates's Verucca

未讀,
2002年5月28日 凌晨4:24:412002/5/28
收件者:
James Savage <ja...@countb.co.uk> wrote:

> Bill Gates's Verucca <b...@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > James Savage <ja...@countb.co.uk> wrote:

> > > open terminal su [password] cd /etc
> > >
> > > there you go!
> > Thanks - all sorted now!
>
> What's the VPN client like then?
>
> I'm hoping some decent shareware IPsec clients come out soon, I'm really
> struggling with access through virtual pc.

The Cisco VPN client appears to work...which is a good start. To install
it you have to log in as root and run the installer from the command
line. That's Ok, but when you want to use it you first have to load it
from the command line using sudo
/System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/CiscoVPN start, then you have to
type in vplnclient connect "name of profile" and then your server asks
for username, password and domain name and you're in. To stop the VP
client running you have to go back into the Terminal and type sudo
/System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/CiscoVPN stop. With the VPN tunnel
built I can get access to the NT servers using Dave, but I can't get
Outlook to run (see spearate thread as I'm trying to completely
uninstall and try again). Te good news is that Jagwire includes an IPSEC
client and it would appear that it may also include the ability to
connect to Exchange servers properly as well...frankly it can't come
soon enough.

James Savage

未讀,
2002年5月28日 下午6:06:022002/5/28
收件者:
Bill Gates's Verucca <b...@msn.com> wrote:

> James Savage <ja...@countb.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > What's the VPN client like then?
> >
> > I'm hoping some decent shareware IPsec clients come out soon, I'm really
> > struggling with access through virtual pc.
> The Cisco VPN client appears to work...which is a good start.

Well yeah :)

> To install
> it you have to log in as root and run the installer from the command
> line. That's Ok, but when you want to use it you first have to load it
> from the command line using sudo
> /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/CiscoVPN start, then you have to
> type in vplnclient connect "name of profile" and then your server asks
> for username, password and domain name and you're in. To stop the VP
> client running you have to go back into the Terminal and type sudo
> /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/CiscoVPN stop.

I'm sure there's a GUI frontend on VersionTracker. I found it when I was
looking for clients.

> With the VPN tunnel
> built I can get access to the NT servers using Dave, but I can't get
> Outlook to run (see spearate thread as I'm trying to completely
> uninstall and try again).

So can you see shared drives and everything?

> Te good news is that Jagwire includes an IPSEC
> client and it would appear that it may also include the ability to
> connect to Exchange servers properly as well...frankly it can't come
> soon enough.

What concerns me is the way it was reported. The wording bothers me:-

<http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/>

"The Finder features spring-loaded folders to aid in navigation - and is
multi-threaded for superior performance... You can browse Windows
servers directly in the Finder and connect to Windows VPN networks...
UNIX-based core updated with GCC 3 compiler, CUPS printing, POSIX
additions and next generation IPv6 and IPSec networking."

"Windows VPN networks" don't use IPsec, they use PPTP by default. But
"IPSec networking" might be it.

Here's hoping for a July release!

Bill Gates's Verucca

未讀,
2002年5月29日 中午12:22:592002/5/29
收件者:
James Savage <ja...@countb.co.uk> wrote:

> Bill Gates's Verucca <b...@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > James Savage <ja...@countb.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > What's the VPN client like then?
> > >
> > > I'm hoping some decent shareware IPsec clients come out soon, I'm really
> > > struggling with access through virtual pc.
> > The Cisco VPN client appears to work...which is a good start.
>
> Well yeah :)
>
> > To install
> > it you have to log in as root and run the installer from the command
> > line. That's Ok, but when you want to use it you first have to load it
> > from the command line using sudo
> > /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/CiscoVPN start, then you have to
> > type in vplnclient connect "name of profile" and then your server asks
> > for username, password and domain name and you're in. To stop the VP
> > client running you have to go back into the Terminal and type sudo
> > /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/CiscoVPN stop.
>
> I'm sure there's a GUI frontend on VersionTracker. I found it when I was
> looking for clients.

I'll have a look.

> > With the VPN tunnel
> > built I can get access to the NT servers using Dave, but I can't get
> > Outlook to run (see spearate thread as I'm trying to completely
> > uninstall and try again).
>
> So can you see shared drives and everything?

Yes I can

> > Te good news is that Jagwire includes an IPSEC
> > client and it would appear that it may also include the ability to
> > connect to Exchange servers properly as well...frankly it can't come
> > soon enough.
>
> What concerns me is the way it was reported. The wording bothers me:-
>
> <http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/>
>
> "The Finder features spring-loaded folders to aid in navigation - and is
> multi-threaded for superior performance... You can browse Windows
> servers directly in the Finder and connect to Windows VPN networks...
> UNIX-based core updated with GCC 3 compiler, CUPS printing, POSIX
> additions and next generation IPv6 and IPSec networking."
>
> "Windows VPN networks" don't use IPsec, they use PPTP by default. But
> "IPSec networking" might be it.
>
> Here's hoping for a July release!

Fingers crossed!

Alan W. Frame

未讀,
2002年5月30日 凌晨4:45:172002/5/30
收件者:
James Savage <ja...@countb.co.uk> wrote:

[Jagwire ... IPSEC client]

> What concerns me is the way it was reported. The wording bothers me:-
>
> <http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/>
>
> "The Finder features spring-loaded folders to aid in navigation - and is
> multi-threaded for superior performance... You can browse Windows
> servers directly in the Finder and connect to Windows VPN networks...
> UNIX-based core updated with GCC 3 compiler, CUPS printing, POSIX
> additions and next generation IPv6 and IPSec networking."
>
> "Windows VPN networks" don't use IPsec, they use PPTP by default.

...which OS X already has...

>But "IPSec networking" might be it.

I home so - I wanna connect to my freeswann boxen.

rgds, Alan
--
99 Ducati 748BP, 95 Ducati 600SS, 81 Guzzi Monza, 74 MV Agusta 350
"Ride to Work, Work to Ride" SI# 7.067 DoD#1930 PGP Key 0xBDED56C5

James Savage

未讀,
2002年5月30日 清晨7:50:442002/5/30
收件者:
Alan W. Frame <alan....@acm.org> wrote:

> > "Windows VPN networks" don't use IPsec, they use PPTP by default.
>
> ...which OS X already has...

I think you're thinking of PPoE, currently there's no built-in VPN.

> >But "IPSec networking" might be it.
>
> I home so - I wanna connect to my freeswann boxen.

There's an NT box in Millbank with my name on it too!

Alan W. Frame

未讀,
2002年5月30日 下午3:18:162002/5/30
收件者:
James Savage <ja...@countb.co.uk> wrote:

> Alan W. Frame <alan....@acm.org> wrote:
>
> > > "Windows VPN networks" don't use IPsec, they use PPTP by default.
> >
> > ...which OS X already has...
>
> I think you're thinking of PPoE, currently there's no built-in VPN.

Oops - that's what I meant - I've not used OS X PPPoE...

> > >But "IPSec networking" might be it.
> >
> > I home so - I wanna connect to my freeswann boxen.
>
> There's an NT box in Millbank with my name on it too!

... but I have got a Linux box to do Freeswann VPN over a PPPoE, using
Roaring Penguin - if RP hadn't worked, then I was all set to test the
PPPoE bit using my iBook.

Ipsec is IMO, one of the few remaining tickboxes[0] left to make an OSX
iBook the ubergeek's[2] System Of Choice - abeit lacking a serial
port...

rgds, Alan
[0] We've got all the OS X stuff, *nix stuff[1], XDarwin, Virtual PC
[1] nmap, snort, etherpeg, etc - I must get round to checking out dhspd
& tftp services.
[2] <snigger> That autosensing ethernet is one of my faves - "Oi, $PFY!
is that ethernet cable a crossover?" "Donno" "That's OK, *I don't care*"
;->

Ingvar Nedrebo

未讀,
2002年5月30日 下午6:02:082002/5/30
收件者:
In article <1fd0h8r.1n5a01hf7nkmaN%alan....@acm.org>, Alan W. Frame
<alan....@acm.org> wrote:

[snip]

> [2] <snigger> That autosensing ethernet is one of my faves - "Oi, $PFY!
> is that ethernet cable a crossover?" "Donno" "That's OK, *I don't care*"

Beg your pardon? I can plug in a crossover or straight cable and my
iBook will do the Right Thing automagically? Bloody marvelous!

I.

--
inn at iriz point net

Alan W. Frame

未讀,
2002年5月31日 下午3:39:282002/5/31
收件者:
Ingvar Nedrebo <i...@some.where> wrote:

'zactly what I mean - pick up a random cable, ask cow-orker what it is
and then plug it in regardless... ;->

Confuses them no end.

rgds, Alan

0 則新訊息