Advice wanted about new iMacs, please

Dave

Aug 13, 2007, 11:33:45 AM8/13/07
Hmmph.
I've not been reading all your postings about the new iMacs, merely
flicking at them.
A friend (more complicated really, but ..) has just phoned me to say
that he is off to the shop to buy one this evening and asked what I knew
about them

Apple seem to be putting a lot more memory into their basic models than
they used to.
Do they need more for life to be comfortable?
Should I suggest he goes for a 2.4GHz?

I imagine that his use is likely to be undemanding, though I don't
really know - I can ask while we go to the store (another layer of
complication ..). Web browsing for sure and he'll probably be doing some
WP stuff. I don't suppose that he will be wanting to do much GarageBand
and video editing.

thanks for any advice

Oh - if anyone is at all interested in the complications - before
ringing me he rang Val (my partner - his wife and co-parent) who, since
she is a student, will be buying it. I certainly will not let Val go to
an Apple Store without me going as well.

cheers,
--
Dave
Da...@zizek.demon.co.uk

Peter Casserole

Aug 13, 2007, 1:35:25 PM8/13/07
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:33:45 +0100, Dave wrote:

> Hmmph.

> I imagine that his use is likely to be undemanding, though I don't
> really know - I can ask while we go to the store (another layer of
> complication ..). Web browsing for sure and he'll probably be doing some
> WP stuff. I don't suppose that he will be wanting to do much GarageBand
> and video editing.

Does he like porn? (Is the pope Catholic?) He'll want a DVD writer to burn
his collection of smut for future enjoyment.

> thanks for any advice
>
> Oh - if anyone is at all interested in the complications - before
> ringing me he rang Val (my partner - his wife and co-parent) who, since
> she is a student, will be buying it. I certainly will not let Val go to
> an Apple Store without me going as well.

By Jove, you're not joking about complications. Val is your partner and his
wife? How do you share? So many days there, so many days here? You're
certainly a liberal bunch to be so open about it.

> cheers,

Cheers and I hope you can keep it up.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Aug 13, 2007, 1:51:27 PM8/13/07
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:33:45 +0100, Dave <Da...@zizek.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>Apple seem to be putting a lot more memory into their basic models than
>they used to.
>Do they need more for life to be comfortable?

More is always better. Currently 2gig is the comfortable price point -
but it's cheaper to get a 1gig iMac and then pay £50 for Kingston or
Crucial 2x1gig to replace the 2x512 it comes with than pay Apple an
additional £90 to put 2gig in to start.

>Should I suggest he goes for a 2.4GHz?

CPU speeds are overrated, any of them will do demanding work and the
top end is only a third faster than the slowest.

However, the cheapest 20" has half the video memory of the others, and
it's not upgradable. Since there's reputedly going to be games for the
Mac in the nearish future, this might be important. Also note that
upgrading the builtin hard drive is a bitch.

If he's after the 24" there's certainly no point paying the premium
for the top one.

>thanks for any advice

NP.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Shellfish are the prime cause of the decline of morals and the
adoption of an extravagant life style" -- Pliny the Elder

D.M. Procida

Aug 13, 2007, 2:33:09 PM8/13/07
Dave <Da...@zizek.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Apple seem to be putting a lot more memory into their basic models than
> they used to.
> Do they need more for life to be comfortable?
> Should I suggest he goes for a 2.4GHz?

I'd say to play very safe with storage in particular - the hard disk
drive will be very hard to upgrade, so make sure you get one that will
accommodate any future needs.

Daniele

Daniel Cohen

Aug 13, 2007, 2:58:52 PM8/13/07
Dave <Da...@zizek.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> since she is a student, will be buying it.

Just a reminder that she should get the *higher education* discount, not
the *education* discount.

I had thought that had to be ordered direct from Apple (internet or
phone) but the local AppleStore said not.
--
http://www.decohen.com
Send e-mail to the Reply-To address;

Dave

Aug 13, 2007, 2:58:08 PM8/13/07
In article
<511859aeba635501...@anon.mixmaster.mixmin.net>,
Peter Casserole <nob...@mixmin.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:33:45 +0100, Dave wrote:
>
> > Hmmph.
> > I imagine that his use is likely to be undemanding, though I don't
> > really know - I can ask while we go to the store (another layer of
> > complication ..). Web browsing for sure and he'll probably be doing some
> > WP stuff. I don't suppose that he will be wanting to do much GarageBand
> > and video editing.
>
> Does he like porn? (Is the pope Catholic?) He'll want a DVD writer to burn
> his collection of smut for future enjoyment.

No comment!

> > Oh - if anyone is at all interested in the complications - before
> > ringing me he rang Val (my partner - his wife and co-parent) who, since
> > she is a student, will be buying it. I certainly will not let Val go to
> > an Apple Store without me going as well.
>
> By Jove, you're not joking about complications. Val is your partner and his
> wife? How do you share? So many days there, so many days here? You're
> certainly a liberal bunch to be so open about it.

All is fine! He is a friend. He and Val get on well as co-parents and
have never bothered to organise a formal divorce. Val moved in next door
to me and we knocked a door through. He lives in their old shared house
a couple of hundred yards away.
No problem, apart from the fact that I have to do Windows support for
Val and her childrens' Windows machines.

cheers.

More importantly - thanks to everyone for the iMac buying advice. I'll
pass it all on in half an hour or so.

thanks

Wayne Stuart

Aug 13, 2007, 3:10:31 PM8/13/07
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:33:45 +0100, Dave <Da...@zizek.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >Apple seem to be putting a lot more memory into their basic models than
> >they used to.
> >Do they need more for life to be comfortable?
>
> More is always better. Currently 2gig is the comfortable price point -
> but it's cheaper to get a 1gig iMac and then pay £50 for Kingston or
> Crucial 2x1gig to replace the 2x512 it comes with than pay Apple an
> additional £90 to put 2gig in to start.

The tech specs seem to indicate the current base level iMac comes with a
single 1 gig stick, leaving one slot spare. So just £30.54 for an
additional 1 gig stick from Crucial, stick it in, and Bob's your Uncle!

--
This message was brought to you by Wayne Stuart - Have a nice day!

Reasons why not to choose Macintosh... debunked:
<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wssenterprises/whynotmacfaq/>

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Aug 13, 2007, 4:28:12 PM8/13/07
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:10:31 GMT, m...@privacy.net (Wayne Stuart)
wrote:

>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:33:45 +0100, Dave <Da...@zizek.demon.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Apple seem to be putting a lot more memory into their basic models than
>> >they used to.
>> >Do they need more for life to be comfortable?
>>
>> More is always better. Currently 2gig is the comfortable price point -
>> but it's cheaper to get a 1gig iMac and then pay £50 for Kingston or
>> Crucial 2x1gig to replace the 2x512 it comes with than pay Apple an
>> additional £90 to put 2gig in to start.
>
>The tech specs seem to indicate the current base level iMac comes with a
>single 1 gig stick, leaving one slot spare. So just £30.54 for an
>additional 1 gig stick from Crucial, stick it in, and Bob's your Uncle!

Shocking! Maybe they're short of 512meg sticks since all the MB and
MBPs come with both slots filled as standard.

I've got four here, which I've offered out several times but no-one
wants them.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Anyone who has had a bull by the tail knows five
or six more things than someone who hasn't.

David Kennedy

Aug 13, 2007, 5:20:43 PM8/13/07
On 13/8/07 21:28, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

> I've got four here, which I've offered out several times but no-one
> wants them.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

No 1 son only has 768Mb in his MacBook Pro, so, what are you looking for
for a stick to replace his present odd 256 ?

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Aug 13, 2007, 7:12:22 PM8/13/07
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:20:43 +0100, David Kennedy
<davidk...@nospamtodaythanksverymuchforthekindofferyoubastard.invalid>
wrote:

>On 13/8/07 21:28, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>>
>> I've got four here, which I've offered out several times but no-one
>> wants them.
>

>No 1 son only has 768Mb in his MacBook Pro, so, what are you looking for
>for a stick to replace his present odd 256 ?

Fame and eternal adulation! Alternatively, a method to stop my cats
bringing mice in at around midnight.

My email address is real, drop me a line and I'll pop one in the post.
And now to rescue the mouse...

Cheers - Jaimie
--
'Rings! Rings! Wherever they may be
I am the Lord of the Rings,' said he

Peter Casserole

Aug 14, 2007, 1:22:22 AM8/14/07
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:58:08 +0100, Dave wrote:

> All is fine! He is a friend. He and Val get on well as co-parents and
> have never bothered to organise a formal divorce. Val moved in next door
> to me and we knocked a door through. He lives in their old shared house
> a couple of hundred yards away.
> No problem, apart from the fact that I have to do Windows support for
> Val and her childrens' Windows machines.

Well, whatever works. I guess you have a mixed "marriage," i.e. Mac and
Windows!

Sara Kirk

Aug 15, 2007, 10:59:10 AM8/15/07
In article
<f1p1c3pgn2t2h63eg...@newsposting.sessile.org>,
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> Fame and eternal adulation! Alternatively, a method to stop my cats
> bringing mice in at around midnight.

I know the feeling :(

> My email address is real, drop me a line and I'll pop one in the post.
> And now to rescue the mouse...

Rog is very, very good at that; far better than I ever was. If you need
any tips I"m sure he'd be only too happy to share his secrets.

--
Sara

The teeth are free at last! Fly free, young teethies!

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Aug 15, 2007, 3:37:45 PM8/15/07
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:59:10 +0100, Sara Kirk
<sara...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>In article
><f1p1c3pgn2t2h63eg...@newsposting.sessile.org>,
> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>

>> Fame and eternal adulation! Alternatively, a method to stop my cats
>> bringing mice in at around midnight.
>>
>I know the feeling :(

We have a very useful mouse-tight door at the bottom of the stairs, so
at least we can stop them getting anywhere near the library or
bedroom.

>> My email address is real, drop me a line and I'll pop one in the post.
>> And now to rescue the mouse...
>
>Rog is very, very good at that; far better than I ever was. If you need
>any tips I"m sure he'd be only too happy to share his secrets.

Step 1 - get nekkid.

I know this particular stage is very useful, after a mouse-chasing
expotition a few weeks back paused bemusedly until Significant Other
spotted the moving lump around thigh height inside her skirt.

There was much squeaking and hopping around, I can tell you. And a
certain amount of throwing of mousie out of window.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Jesus died for our sins. Let us not cheapen his
sacrifice by failing to commit any of them."

Phillip Deackes

Aug 16, 2007, 4:53:34 AM8/16/07
On 2007-08-13 16:33:45 +0100, Dave <Da...@zizek.demon.co.uk> said:

> Should I suggest he goes for a 2.4GHz?

I trundled off the the Apple Store in the Bullring, Birmingham on
Tuesday and bought myself a nice new shiny 2.4GHz 20" iMac. It is
fabulous! The keyboard is superb to use - best keyboard I have ever
used.

I would certainly recommend the 2.4GHz - always best to get the highest
speed you can as long as there's not a hugh price differential. Given
that I got £700 for my first generation 20" iMac Intel Dual Core I did
OK. (It did have Applecare and I didn't really benefit with a higher
resale value).

As regards memory, it does indeed come with 1 x 1GB. Be careful if
using Crucial - they appear not to have their recommended memory in
stock, neither here or in the Sates. In one of the forums, someone said
that Crucial were specifying a higher speed memory which is not
necessary and is fater thatn that in the iMac. I placed an order with
them, and on ringing the next day to ask why my order status was still
pending, they said 'Oh, we've not got those parts in stock'. Thanks a
bunch, Crucial.

I went to www.orcalogic.co.uk and ordered the correct stick for just
£32. I have had memory from them before and it is fine - made by
Transcend.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

--
Phillip Deackes

To email me, please remove 'news' and replace with my firstname.

Roger Merriman

Aug 21, 2007, 10:04:59 AM8/21/07
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:59:10 +0100, Sara Kirk
> <sara...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >In article
> ><f1p1c3pgn2t2h63eg...@newsposting.sessile.org>,
> > Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
> >

> >> Fame and eternal adulation! Alternatively, a method to stop my cats
> >> bringing mice in at around midnight.
> >>
> >I know the feeling :(
>
> We have a very useful mouse-tight door at the bottom of the stairs, so
> at least we can stop them getting anywhere near the library or
> bedroom.

that is handy no such thing here, and wood floors so there are crevises
to slide though.

> >> My email address is real, drop me a line and I'll pop one in the post.
> >> And now to rescue the mouse...
> >
> >Rog is very, very good at that; far better than I ever was. If you need
> >any tips I"m sure he'd be only too happy to share his secrets.
>
> Step 1 - get nekkid.
>
> I know this particular stage is very useful, after a mouse-chasing
> expotition a few weeks back paused bemusedly until Significant Other
> spotted the moving lump around thigh height inside her skirt.

heh!

> There was much squeaking and hopping around, I can tell you. And a
> certain amount of throwing of mousie out of window.

luckly the mouse is normally stunned so grap cat, scoup up mousey then
off to toss the mousie.

> Cheers - Jaimie

roger

--