New HDD - iMac G5 (pre-iSight)

1 view

Orson Cart

Sep 15, 2007, 12:34:19 PM9/15/07
I have a 2004/5 vintage iMac G5, and the HDD has failed - fortunately, I
have a complete backup. Will any old SATA or SATA II disk do as a
replacement? Specifically I'm looking at a Generic 160GB disk from Amazon -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000OUI8PA/ref=pd_luc_mri/026-0718844-1260415?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Will it do the job? If not, has anyone got any specific recommendations?

TIA & cheers,

--
Steve

J.J. O'Shea

Sep 15, 2007, 1:05:25 PM9/15/07
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 12:34:19 -0400, Orson Cart wrote
(in article <fch1ic$m8r$1...@aioe.org>):

> I have a 2004/5 vintage iMac G5, and the HDD has failed - fortunately, I
> have a complete backup. Will any old SATA

That should work.

> or SATA II

That may work, but would be overkill

> disk do as a
> replacement? Specifically I'm looking at a Generic 160GB disk from Amazon -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000OUI8PA/ref=pd_luc_mri/026-
0718844
> -1260415?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
>
> Will it do the job? If not, has anyone got any specific recommendations?

Get a drive larger than 160 GB.

It's a pain to open up iMac G5s and replace the drive, might as well just get
a large drive while you're at it.

This <http://www.kodawarisan.com/imacg5/imacg503.html> is for a 17", not a
20", but might help.

If you have Safari from O'Reilly (note: NOT Safari the Apple web browser...)
this might be of more help:
<http://safari.oreilly.com/0321335465/ch19lev1sec2>

> TIA & cheers,

Wayne Stuart

Sep 15, 2007, 1:13:05 PM9/15/07
J.J. O'Shea <try.n...@but.see.sig> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 12:34:19 -0400, Orson Cart wrote
> (in article <fch1ic$m8r$1...@aioe.org>):
>
> > I have a 2004/5 vintage iMac G5, and the HDD has failed - fortunately, I
> > have a complete backup. Will any old SATA

<snip>

> > Will it do the job? If not, has anyone got any specific recommendations?
>
> Get a drive larger than 160 GB.
>
> It's a pain to open up iMac G5s and replace the drive, might as well just get
> a large drive while you're at it.

No, it's a doddle to open up and replace a HD in a pre-iSight G5 iMac.
It's the *post*-iSight iMacs that introduced the pain-in-the-arse
factor.

--
This message was brought to you by Wayne Stuart - Have a nice day!

Reasons why not to choose Macintosh... debunked:
<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wssenterprises/whynotmacfaq/>

Martin S Taylor

Sep 16, 2007, 6:40:46 AM9/16/07
Orson Cart wrote

> I have a 2004/5 vintage iMac G5

A Mac barely two years old is regarded as 'vintage'. Isn't that saying
something?

MST

David Kennedy

Sep 16, 2007, 7:12:18 AM9/16/07

I have a 2007 vintage bottle of wine. And, the something that it says is
that it was made in 2007...

I think you're giving the word vintage a different meaning than that
meant by the OP.

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com

Wayne Stuart

Sep 16, 2007, 7:18:05 AM9/16/07

I was reading one of the tabloid papers the other day - the Mirror IIRC
- and one of the columnists was talking about how she had a 3 year old
iMac G5 she needed to get rid of. She tried to give it to the local
youth club, and they weren't interested, so she figured if they did't
want it, it was worthless and no-one would want it. So she was planning
on taking it to the tip.

Now if it was a Windows PC, it probably would be virtually worthless,
but that's about 400 quids worth of Mac being dropped into a skip fer
crin' out loud! I would hope someone set her straight before this
happened.

Steve Firth

Sep 16, 2007, 7:34:32 AM9/16/07
Martin S Taylor <hog...@hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:

Yes, it's saying that it takes about 1 year and six months longer for a
Mac to be regarded as 'vintage' than it takes for the average PC.

Orson Cart

Sep 16, 2007, 11:20:03 AM9/16/07
David Kennedy wrote:
> On 16/9/07 11:40, Martin S Taylor wrote:
>> Orson Cart wrote
>>> I have a 2004/5 vintage iMac G5
>>
>> A Mac barely two years old is regarded as 'vintage'. Isn't that saying
>> something?
>
> I have a 2007 vintage bottle of wine. And, the something that it says is
> that it was made in 2007...
>
> I think you're giving the word vintage a different meaning than that
> meant by the OP.

Indeed. I was using 'vintage' as you suggest - to identify when the iMac
was made.

--
Steve