Using USB between laptop and desktop

Marie O'Neill

Oct 31, 2001, 9:29:02 AM10/31/01
Can someone advise where to look for instructions on setting up a USB simple
connection between my laptop and desktop please? I have just left the
desktop in to get the USB (and win 98 to match the laptop) installed, and
decided to look up how to connect the two, once I get it home. I just want
to do file transfers for backup, as I hardly use the desktop nowadays. I
expected to find clear instructions in the microsoft help (via explorer),
but that was a bit optimistic!
tia
Marie

H Dziardziel

Oct 31, 2001, 9:52:10 AM10/31/01

Hi, a usb-usb "bridge" cable is needed. It contains electronics and
comes with a driver and file manager program. Prolific's is one
manufacturer that comes to mind. This costs about US$20-30 and only
provides simple file transfers. True networking is possible with a
similiar cable/electronics device that is a bit more expensive. See;
http://www.prolific.com.tw/faq.htm#PL_2301_10
for some more information.

Marie O'Neill

Oct 31, 2001, 12:13:05 PM10/31/01

H Dziardziel <h...@operamail.com> wrote in message

> Hi, a usb-usb "bridge" cable is needed. It contains electronics and
> comes with a driver and file manager program. Prolific's is one
> manufacturer that comes to mind. This costs about US$20-30 and only
> provides simple file transfers. True networking is possible with a
> similiar cable/electronics device that is a bit more expensive. See;
> http://www.prolific.com.tw/faq.htm#PL_2301_10
> for some more information.

That hits the nail on the head thanks.
Marie

Barry Gibbons

Oct 31, 2001, 5:16:14 PM10/31/01

Hi Marie
O yes This is the best thing I have bought for a long time. My Laptop
has no CD Rom so I just plug in to my desktop and away we go it is
just what the Doc orded. USB LinQ Cable + Network
http://www.iec-usa.com/adp3181.html

All the best Barry

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:29:02 -0000, "Marie O'Neill"

Marie O'Neill

Oct 31, 2001, 6:36:46 PM10/31/01

Barry Gibbons <ba...@gibbonsb.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> Hi Marie
> O yes This is the best thing I have bought for a long time. My Laptop
> has no CD Rom so I just plug in to my desktop and away we go it is
> just what the Doc orded. USB LinQ Cable + Network
> http://www.iec-usa.com/adp3181.html
>
> All the best Barry

Thanks Barry, I printed that, and will investigate it. It sounds good.
Marie

spinzero

Oct 31, 2001, 11:14:27 PM10/31/01
Hi
You have to isolate them. I was wondering about this then I came across
laplink which came with several cable's including a USB cable, but it was
expensive..
I recently saw a cable at redstore.com for £8 I think it was a data
cable!!!!!!!
alterantivly get a parallel cable easy to set up as direct cable connection.
or if your
notebook has NIC get a crossover cable and a network card..these are cheap.
I found networking with proper cable so much better than parallel and
cheaper
than buying a parallel cable.......
From redstore you can buy network adaptor for pc and cable for £5,
if you buy the lappy adaptor from ebay the total could be a tenner.....

Just found the usb cable, I might buy one it's £9.79 inc vat and it supports
tcp/ip and netbui
http://www.redstore.com/techinfo/oemacc049.php23

--
richard

H Dziardziel <h...@operamail.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:29:02 -0000, "Marie O'Neill"

> >Can someone advise where to look for instructions on setting up a USB
simple
> >connection between my laptop and desktop please? I have just left the
> >desktop in to get the USB (and win 98 to match the laptop) installed, and

> Hi, a usb-usb "bridge" cable is needed. It contains electronics and

Marie O'Neill

Nov 12, 2001, 9:15:58 AM11/12/01

Marie O'Neill <mea...@eircom.net> wrote in message
Thanks to everyone that advised me. I too have installed PC LINQ which works
fine. The instal was a bit 'underdocumented' as it came with no manual, and
the instal files were zipped, so not recognised by the pc. Once I unzipped
them, the instal went perfectly. I also thought there was a problem when I
installed on one machine first, and could not see the other machine. Of
course, you have to have it running on both, or each one only recognises
itself.
Thanks again.
Marie

Alex Busman

Nov 13, 2001, 11:18:49 AM11/13/01
Hi Marie,
There are companies like TigerDirect.com, etc that sell a product that takes
2 USB cables and allows you to plug 2 computers into each other thru USB.

I found one here.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?sku=X13
-0056%20P I think this is what you are looking for.

--
Alex Busman
M-Tech Laptops, Inc.