Wireless router for 3G usb modem ?

Al

Feb 4, 2008, 12:32:17 PM2/4/08

I would like to share a usb 3G Mobile Data modem via a wireless home
network. Has anyone any ideas for the hardware as most wireless
routers only allow braodband connection via ADSL ?

I know it could be done with a PC running as a router but I would like
something a bit simpler and less bulky.

Alan

Alex Fraser

Feb 4, 2008, 3:29:07 PM2/4/08
"Al" <sams...@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message

Unless there is some generic hardware interface for the device (like USB
Mass Storage Controllers), a PC is probably your only option.

I have seen a router to which you could attach a USB ADSL modem, but if I
remember correctly it only supported certain modems - it probably ran
embedded Linux with suitable drivers.

The bottom line is that there is no reason why such a device couldn't be
made, it's just a question of whether anyone would make it. Unfortunately,
my guess is that the answer to that question is "No".

Alex

Dave Wade

Feb 4, 2008, 3:47:21 PM2/4/08

"Al" <sams...@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would like to share a usb 3G Mobile Data modem via a wireless home
> network. Has anyone any ideas for the hardware as most wireless
> routers only allow braodband connection via ADSL ?

It seems , from setting them up that 3G modems don't use a standard
inerface. They need to specify so many parameters....
... so you may need a PC to connect them...

> I know it could be done with a PC running as a router but I would like
> something a bit simpler and less bulky.

Use a small footprint PC this sort of thing:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310019133074

(no connection with seller, ymmv, other options available)

> Alan

Conor

Feb 4, 2008, 4:53:42 PM2/4/08
In article <eJ6dnZ9UGed...@eclipse.net.uk>, Dave Wade says...

> "Al" <sams...@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to share a usb 3G Mobile Data modem via a wireless home
> > network. Has anyone any ideas for the hardware as most wireless
> > routers only allow braodband connection via ADSL ?
> >

> It seems , from setting them up that 3G modems don't use a standard
> inerface. They need to specify so many parameters....
> ... so you may need a PC to connect them...

They do use a standard interface. I've been using the Vodafone Linux
client on a "3" dongle. The only thing that changes is the user/pass
and APN.

--
Conor

As a Brit I'd like to thank the Americans for their help in the war
against terror because if they'd not funded the IRA for 30 years, we
wouldn't know how to deal with terrorists.

Linker3000

Feb 4, 2008, 6:28:25 PM2/4/08

Have a look at the Draytek 2800G:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2800.html

"3G USB Modem Support - HSDPA

As mentioned above, you can use the Vigor 2800's USB port as a WAN
interface to a USB 3G (cellular) modem, supporting the latest 'HSDPA'
networks. HSDPA provides connection at up to 3.4Mb/s - much faster than
previous cellular GSM/GPRS systems. This enables you to provide
broadband access anywhere in the UK (subject to network coverage)
without needing fixed lines. This can be in a temporary office, a coach,
hotel or anywhere you like and your users can then browse web sites or
check there email with ease. The USB modem and SIM is not supplied with
the router; you obtain that separately from your cellphone company. The
following USB modems/phones are currently supported:

* Huawei E220 (T-Mobile, Vodafone, 3 etc.)
* Telstra HSDPA USB Modem
* 4G System XSPlug P3
* Zapp Telemodem Z020
* Option GlobeSurfer iCON 7.2
* Option Globesurfer iCON
* 4G System XSPlug P3
* ZTE AC8700 3G
* Benq EF91
* Nokia N70
* Nokia 6233
* Nokia N95
* LG U8380
* Telstra Next G 3G USB
* ZTE AC8700
* ZTE MF622

"

Al

Feb 5, 2008, 8:44:59 AM2/5/08
Thanks for all the replies, the Draytek 2800G seems to be just the
thing - a bit pricey tho.

Alan

Alex Fraser

Feb 5, 2008, 1:41:18 PM2/5/08
"Linker3000" <linke...@goo-nohyphens-glemail.com> wrote in message

> Al wrote:
>> I would like to share a usb 3G Mobile Data modem via a wireless home
>> network. Has anyone any ideas for the hardware as most wireless
>> routers only allow braodband connection via ADSL ?
[snip]

> Have a look at the Draytek 2800G:
>
> http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2800.html
>
> "3G USB Modem Support - HSDPA

I'm very surprised, but it's nice to be proven wrong sometimes :).

Alex

Linker3000

Feb 5, 2008, 5:30:45 PM2/5/08

Glad to be of service. Unfortunately, Draytek are expensive but the kit
is generally very good. You can sometimes grab a surpise bargain on ebay
- I managed to get a 2800G for £86 but they tend to go for more than that.

Linker3000

Feb 5, 2008, 5:31:46 PM2/5/08

It would be nice if there was some cheaper kit that did the same thing
but the Draytek's are the only ones I know (and have used) at the moment.

matthe...@hotmail.com

Feb 16, 2008, 9:57:28 AM2/16/08
Just got the Draytek 2800VG @ £150 with VAT
It worked superbly with my T-Mobile USB 3G Modem.
This product is exceptional! See broadbandshop i think i purchased
mine from...

Thanks