Who is coming to EMF? Let's start a list

Martin Dittus

Jun 20, 2012, 6:32:36 AM6/20/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Jonty, Amran and I realised that it would be good to announce which communities and organisations are planning to come to EMF. It's a very simple way of telling everyone who and what to expect at the camp (and a measure of who else we still need to talk to :).

Unfortunately I've not really been keeping track, so help me make a list :)

The ones I know of:
- several larger UK hackspaces (which?)
- Dorkbot (London/Sheffield/others?)
- MzTEK
- Code Club
- Milliways

Who else?

m.

Kate Bolin

Jun 20, 2012, 6:44:35 AM6/20/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Nottingham Hackspace, definitely.

m.

Kate Bolin
www.katebolin.com

Mike Pountney

Jun 20, 2012, 6:45:31 AM6/20/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com

> Who else?

I'm expecting there will be a contingent from BuildBrighton, not sure of numbers yet.

cynar blackmane

Jun 20, 2012, 7:09:32 AM6/20/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
There's a load of us from Reading Hackspace and Surrey and Hampshire Hackspace planning on coming as well.

Peter Jackson

Jun 20, 2012, 8:35:19 AM6/20/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Edinburgh Hacklab

Ian Morrison

Jun 20, 2012, 9:30:15 AM6/20/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Faculty Unix (Funix)

Ian
--
  __/_/_  w: http://darq.com/
 __/_/_   m: 07971 10 20 88

Russ Garrett

Jun 21, 2012, 5:48:36 AM6/21/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder that if you're coming, we'd really appreciate it if
you pre-ordered a ticket now - it costs £30 (with the remaining money
payable in a month or so), and it'll help us enormously with our
cashflow:

http://www.emfcamp.org/pay

Cheers,

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

SamLR

Jun 21, 2012, 6:02:10 AM6/21/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
bonus points: feeling of quite awesomeness and £5 off the final ticket price!

Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Dominic Morrow

Jun 21, 2012, 6:22:33 AM6/21/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Speaking for Nottingham (and to a degree Bristol) Hackspaces, I'll admit other than a "heads up this *might* be happening" we've not done much promotion of it. It's been mentioned on our mailing list but never really sold at us.

I've not blogged about it on either my own blog or the Hackspace blog because I've no real stuff to hang the post off of. No logo no images etc these feel a bit like excuses though so I'll pull my finger out. I know from experience that folk who'd enjoy this sort of event can be so focused on there one area of geekery they might not be award of EMF. I know no one at Bristol Hackspace (that was there when I mentioned it in May) had heard of it and weren't at all interested and I couldn't really point them at the awesome.

A poster might help? We advertise all Hackspace events with posters. A poster we can print ourselves would be fine. We could make this ourselves too but I personally don't feel involved enough to do that.

I greatly regret not having gotten to the planning meetings (being in London I simply didn't have the time or the funds to go plus buys drinks food etc plus train tickets) and I'm in dispear of this group and am pretty close to changing my settings to digest.

I really do feel the event needs a fresh selling effort. As you know I'm heavily involved in the UK movement but even my perception is that this event will be trollish, boisterous and for the most part tiresome (just my honest opinion).

I know the site choice was a long hard fought thing and good work! But a selling job really does need to be done given that your wedged between a sewage works and major motorway (i.e. I'm not looking forward to that myself).

In a nutshell all I've been sold so far is problems not the awesomeness I know the event will very likely be forgetting my reservations.

I hope I haven't spoken out of turn.

TL/DR

Make the event sound nice and do a poster. To much focus on the negative so far.

Dominic

Sent from my iPhone

SamLR

Jun 21, 2012, 6:29:02 AM6/21/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Dominic thank you for this. This is the sort of stuff we REALLY need to know. If we can't communicate why this will be awesome to other hackspaces we're buggered

Thanks

major effort being deployed as soon as I've had more than 7 hours sleep.

Russ Garrett

Jun 21, 2012, 6:45:19 AM6/21/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
That's fine. We have intentionally not been looking for massive
amounts of publicity at the moment because we still need to get a few
more things finalised. The only reason I'm gently pushing pre-sales is
because we need a little more cash in the bank to cover some initial
bills.

We're going to be starting full ticket sales in a week or so, and then
we'll have much more blurb on the site. Hopefully we'll have the
branding finished by then too.

Russ

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Benjamin Blundell

Jun 21, 2012, 7:47:09 AM6/21/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Dominic. This is something I brought up mildy at a meeting two weeks ago and something that Martin D has mentioned too. How we sell and the idea we present is of critical importance and something we havent overlooked. Jonty, Martin, Russ and co are looking into this carefully before we go all guns blazing. I think we'll crack it though. At the moment, I can see why you'd think things were negative but after visiting the site and talking with people face to face I can honestly say I'm very excited. right now, we are in the stages of mitigation and wondering what *could* happen thats bad but that will no doubt pass.

Yuan

Jun 21, 2012, 10:37:17 AM6/21/12
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Universal Air Ltd, we'll get some tickets soon.