Ufurmix development plans

Adam

Jan 15, 2011, 6:47:07 AM1/15/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I noticed that Ufurmix development stopped after 9.10 release. I have proposal, let's drop lucid and maverick development and think about natty. We should port most important packages before natty final release and release beta. Then release RC shortly after natty release. After RC we should give people about two weeks for reporting bug. After two weeks final ufurmix release should be ready.

What you think about it?

Сергей

Jan 15, 2011, 8:17:10 AM1/15/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
Lucid/Maverick series is shaping up nicely and is almost finished, and it's kind of weird not to remix the LTS. But I agree that releasing Maverick a month before Natty arrives (like it already happened with Karmic and Lucid) make no sense.

Actually the development is not stopped, I just post announcements rarely and don't set the milestones. We're somewhere past beta with it right now, but it's not written anywhere. My TODO looks like this at the moment:
  1. Make boot screen show messages correctly
  2. Package Surprise Feature #1 as DEB
  3. Update software-pack
  4. Update GDM theme (do we really need this?)
  5. Complete Surprise Feature #2 and integrate it
  6. Update wallpapers package, package wallpapers-extra
  7. Package Humanity-based icon set
Ufurmix has a fundamental problem. The problem is that I can do some scripting, some icons good enough to be accepted to Ubuntu and other useless but fancy things, but I can't inspire other people or organize effective collaboration. After I watched "Making of The Lion King", I understood that if most of the people involved in Karmic development would meet IRL, they'd make Lucid remix in a week. And the way we have now it's not finished in almost a year.

The other problem about Ubuntu Furry Remix that Lucid Remix doesn't comply with the definition of Ubuntu remix. So the "ufurmix" brand will have to go* and the project will be reborn under a different name. I plan to write an open letter to CreatureS community, I hope this time I'll convince them to merge the projects under a new name and drop their NIH philosophy.

Since I can't organize the proper workflow, I'm going to leave any formal positions in the project. None of all the formal project goals, and only one informal made me start the implementation: "just for fun". Thanks to my work on ufurmix, I learned at about 10 languages, markups, dialects and techniques, made lots of new wonderful friends, mastered Inkscape and GIMP, learned icon design... but working on it not fun when you have to do everything alone. If I try to do everything, I do nothing well enough. So I'll leave any formal positions and won't feel obligated to do anything anymore. Inspire me, and I'll contribute as much as I can. And I'll be still open for questions like "how does component X work?" or "where can I get the source file for that pic?". You'll have the whole ufurmix code, lots of blueprints, and your own brains, paws and pals, and the whole Google of manuals. I didn't have the first two things when I started the Remix, and I wasn't 10 people and I didn't have lots of pals either.

By the way, Natty will open lots of opportunities to the project. In Natty there will be GNOME2, GNOME Shell, Unity and Elementary OS "shell". Each has its pros and cons, and you'll have to consider the target audience and pick the best one. So I wouldn't rush to remix it as soon as possible if I were you (maybe that's my biggest mistake - preferring quality over development speed).

Anyway, I'm finishing Lucid now. There's already nothing you can do to help me with it. So you can start working on Natty right now.

*ufurmix.org domain will persist, as will @ufurmix.org emails. The emails will become a hallmark of oldtimers :)

Respectfully,
--
Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff

Adam

Jan 15, 2011, 9:51:39 AM1/15/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
I have no skills, all that I can do it's change some OS settings using Ubuntu Customization Kit. Sergey, you're the only people that really worked on this. I know some people that can help us, but I don't know they want to do it. I wrote some messages on furry-related sites, results: one person asked me where he can download ufurmix image.

Сергей

Jan 15, 2011, 10:49:02 AM1/15/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
Oh, you know UCK? Then you can build a beta image to show off the progress! But let me package the new icon theme first.

You know, in the beginning I didn't have any skills, too. I used Google to get all the needed info. You have not only Google, you have me also. I said I can answer any technical questions. If you prefer instant messaging, poke me and I'll show up in some chat. My shna...@gmail.com email is also a Jabber account, so if you write there I'll receive the message to email if I'm offline (and I tend to be offline for ages these days). We don't have an IRC channel, but @lex has created a Jabber conference ufu...@conference.jabber.ru, it should be OK for a chat room.

Regarding the messages, try attaching some screenshots, a link to the ISO or at least to the PPA. Nobody is gonna jump in before you show them something half-way useful. And remember you already have some people interested in development here, on this mailing list.

What exactly do you want of ufurmix Natty? Figure out what features you want of it. Don't think about the whole system - just several things which can be improved. Post some ideas maybe, it's too bad that we never had a real brainstorm here. Come on!

Adam

Jan 16, 2011, 9:42:37 AM1/16/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
You said that name can't be ufurmix anymore. We must think about new one, I have some ideas like FurOS, Antrhos or maybe Furry Linux. We should choose name that sounds nice.

Now about Natty.
We have four months before Natty release, it's lots of time.

First. There should be two ways of installation, bootable CD/DVD/USB images and PPA for Ubuntu users.
Second. We should have a website and domain (I can ask ubuntu.pl and linux.pl admins), I have no skills but we can use some CMS or blog engine, like wordpress.
Third. Our modified Ubuntu release should have this features:
- Furry plymouth theme (we already have it)
- Furry wallpaper (we can make contest on deviantart and other sites)
- Maybe furry gtk theme based on Ambiance
- Furry icon (we already have it)
- Furry Firefox start page (we already have it)
- Furry Firefox personas theme
- Drawing software: GIMP, Inkscape, Blender and something else
- Wacom Tablet USB driver (we just need to add PPA with wacom-dkms package or upload this package to our PPA)

Xorrito

Jan 16, 2011, 10:00:40 AM1/16/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

I can deal with the web page but it will be simple html, as that is the only web language I know.

Xorrito

On Jan 16, 2011 7:42 AM, "Adam" <ad...@ufurmix.org> wrote:

You said that name can't be ufurmix anymore. We must think about new one, I have some ideas like FurOS, Antrhos or maybe Furry Linux. We should choose name that sounds nice.

Now about Natty.
We have four months before Natty release, it's lots of time.

First. There should be two ways of installation, bootable CD/DVD/USB images and PPA for Ubuntu users.
Second. We should have a website and domain (I can ask ubuntu.pl and linux.pl admins), I have no skills but we can use some CMS or blog engine, like wordpress.
Third. Our modified Ubuntu release should have this features:
- Furry plymouth theme (we already have it)
- Furry wallpaper (we can make contest on deviantart and other sites)
- Maybe furry gtk theme based on Ambiance
- Furry icon (we already have it)
- Furry Firefox start page (we already have it)
- Furry Firefox personas theme
- Drawing software: GIMP, Inkscape, Blender and something else
- Wacom Tablet USB driver (we just need to add PPA with wacom-dkms package or upload this package to our PPA)

2011/1/15 Сергей <shna...@gmail.com>

> Oh, you know UCK? Then you can build a beta image to sho...

Steffen Apstein - Müller

Jan 16, 2011, 10:06:42 AM1/16/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
I still continue to deliver the needed Webspace for hosting 4 Files simultaniously, seeding the rest of them via torrent regulary.

I Provide space for 2 versions each i586 and amd64.

If you wanne ask something about webpages feel free to gimme a mail ;-)

KT

Сергей

Jan 16, 2011, 10:39:03 AM1/16/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
16 января 2011 г. 17:42 пользователь Adam <ad...@ufurmix.org> написал:

You said that name can't be ufurmix anymore. We must think about new one, I have some ideas like FurOS, Antrhos or maybe Furry Linux. We should choose name that sounds nice.
CreatureS mentioned "OpenFur" name several times, they even own openfur.org domain. I don't mind it.

First. There should be two ways of installation, bootable CD/DVD/USB images and PPA for Ubuntu users.
I'd like to see the Natty have a basic CD live image and a DVD image with more localizations, text installation and system rescue. Nobody except Ubuntu itself did it yet, but the DVD image is basically a live image and alternate image combined in one; live image is customizable with UCK, and here's a manual for alternate images: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallCDCustomization
Blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ufurmix/+spec/2-in-1-dvd

Second. We should have a website and domain (I can ask ubuntu.pl and linux.pl admins), I have no skills but we can use some CMS or blog engine, like wordpress.
ToonLynx provided hosting during Karmic series, I think I can ask him to do it again. Domain is also not a problem, it's a matter of $5 a year. Regarding the engine, I think in our case the best choice will be MoinMoin. Blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ufurmix/+spec/website
There's some stuff regarding website design in the bazaar branch, but it's old, suitabe for Karmic only.

- Furry wallpaper (we can make contest on deviantart and other sites)
The more wallpapers, the better. I never managed to organize a contest. I mean, I did hold some, but nobody participated.

- Maybe furry gtk theme based on Ambiance
Agreed, but what exactly do you want it to be? Blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ufurmix/+spec/furry-gtk-look, it's all yours

- Furry Firefox personas theme
Agreed. Theyain Riyu complained that there are none and made one with some CreatureS-related branding: http://theyain.deviantart.com/#/d2tcp2w

- Drawing software: GIMP, Inkscape, Blender and something else
Probably something for music and video, too... I still haven't revised the software pack :/

- Wacom Tablet USB driver (we just need to add PPA with wacom-dkms package or upload this package to our PPA)

Adam

Jan 16, 2011, 11:24:52 AM1/16/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
2011/1/16 Сергей <shna...@gmail.com>

CreatureS mentioned "OpenFur" name several times, they even own openfur.org domain. I don't mind it.
I think Furry Linux is good name, I even made a logo concept, I'll upload it when I made digital version.
I'd like to see the Natty have a basic CD live image and a DVD image with more localizations, text installation and system rescue. Nobody except Ubuntu itself did it yet, but the DVD image is basically a live image and alternate image combined in one; live image is customizable with UCK, and here's a manual for alternate images: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallCDCustomization
Blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ufurmix/+spec/2-in-1-dvd
There's Polish Ubuntu remix that have two images:
CD - 700 MB
DVD/USB - 1 GB
DVD/USB image has CD content and some additional software.
ToonLynx provided hosting during Karmic series, I think I can ask him to do it again. Domain is also not a problem, it's a matter of $5 a year. Regarding the engine, I think in our case the best choice will be MoinMoin. Blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ufurmix/+spec/website
There's some stuff regarding website design in the bazaar branch, but it's old, suitabe for Karmic only.
I checked furrylinux.com and furrylinux.org are free.
Agreed, but what exactly do you want it to be? Blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ufurmix/+spec/furry-gtk-look, it's all yours
Honestly, I don't know, maybe some paws on gnome-panel. We should think bit more on this.
- Furry Firefox personas theme
Agreed. Theyain Riyu complained that there are none and made one with some CreatureS-related branding: http://theyain.deviantart.com/#/d2tcp2w
Hmmm... I can ask some artists, but they may want money.
My Wacom Bamboo One woks excellent right out of the box. Which models does the PPA cover? I was thinking about Wizardpen, which is needed for Genius tablets and probably something else.
I have Wacom Bamboo P&T A6 and It needs package called wacom-dkms to work. You can found wacom-dkms in ppa:doctormo/wacom-plus PPA.

Сергей

Jan 16, 2011, 12:04:00 PM1/16/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
I checked furrylinux.com and furrylinux.org are free.
I don't want to use such a generic name because it may cause confusion if CreatureS team refuses to merge projects, or a different distro with different DE or philosophy arises.

Honestly, I don't know, maybe some paws on gnome-panel. We should think bit more on this.
I hope in Natty we'll get rid of gnome-panel. It's bloated and buggy. Unity has a similar-looking panel, but Unity theming support is not yet clear (there must be some, but to what degree?), and I think the panel will become too cluttered if we add pawprints there.

- Furry Firefox personas theme
Agreed. Theyain Riyu complained that there are none and made one with some CreatureS-related branding: http://theyain.deviantart.com/#/d2tcp2w
Hmmm... I can ask some artists, but they may want money.
Money for a Firefox persona? Oh... either it's not much, either the artists are really greedy!

My Wacom Bamboo One woks excellent right out of the box. Which models does the PPA cover? I was thinking about Wizardpen, which is needed for Genius tablets and probably something else.
I have Wacom Bamboo P&T A6 and It needs package called wacom-dkms to work. You can found wacom-dkms in ppa:doctormo/wacom-plus PPA.
OK, let's add it then.

Xorrito

Jan 16, 2011, 12:10:12 PM1/16/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

So wait, is creatures actually still alive?

Xorrito

On Jan 16, 2011 10:04 AM, "Сергей" <shna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I checked furrylinux.com and furrylinux.org are free.

I don't want to use such a generic name because it may cause confusion if CreatureS team refuses to merge projects, or a different distro with different DE or philosophy arises.

> Honestly, I don't know, maybe some paws on gnome-panel. We should think bit more on this.

I hope in Natty we'll get rid of gnome-panel. It's bloated and buggy. Unity has a similar-looking panel, but Unity theming support is not yet clear (there must be some, but to what degree?), and I think the panel will become too cluttered if we add pawprints there.

>>> - Furry Firefox personas theme
>>

>> Agreed. Theyain Riyu complained that there are none a...

Money for a Firefox persona? Oh... either it's not much, either the artists are really greedy!

>> My Wacom Bamboo One woks excellent right out of the box. Which models does the PPA cover? I w...

Xorrito

Jan 16, 2011, 12:09:12 PM1/16/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

So wait, is creatures actually still alive?

Xorrito

On Jan 16, 2011 10:04 AM, "Сергей" <shna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I checked furrylinux.com and furrylinux.org are free.

I don't want to use such a generic name because it may cause confusion if CreatureS team refuses to merge projects, or a different distro with different DE or philosophy arises.

> Honestly, I don't know, maybe some paws on gnome-panel. We should think bit more on this.

I hope in Natty we'll get rid of gnome-panel. It's bloated and buggy. Unity has a similar-looking panel, but Unity theming support is not yet clear (there must be some, but to what degree?), and I think the panel will become too cluttered if we add pawprints there.

>>> - Furry Firefox personas theme
>>

>> Agreed. Theyain Riyu complained that there are none a...

Money for a Firefox persona? Oh... either it's not much, either the artists are really greedy!

>> My Wacom Bamboo One woks excellent right out of the box. Which models does the PPA cover? I w...

Xorrito

Jan 16, 2011, 12:15:58 PM1/16/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

Oh and also don't know if I sent it right but I can take on the website I know html and for temporally I can host it on my server

Xorrito

On Jan 16, 2011 10:11 AM, "Xorrito" <xor...@ufurmix.org> wrote:

So wait, is creatures actually still alive?

Xorrito

> On Jan 16, 2011 10:04 AM, "Сергей" <shna...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I checked furrylinux.com and furrylinux.org are free.
>

> I don't want to use such a generic na...

>>> - Furry Firefox personas theme
>>
>> Agreed. Theyain Riyu complained that there are none a...

> Money for a Firefox persona? Oh... either it's not much, either the artists are really greedy!

>> My Wacom Bamboo One woks excellent right out of the box. Which models does the PPA cover? I w...

Сергей

Jan 16, 2011, 12:33:11 PM1/16/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
2011/1/16 Xorrito <xor...@ufurmix.org>

So wait, is creatures actually still alive?

Not really. Well, I think they have some IRC meetings, but it remains vaporware. Here's what they sent to their public mailing list this New Year:

hello Shnatsel,

firstly we want to say, happy new year, and everyone a furry 2011!

it's been a long time since we send out any news letters.

we feel it's importaint to keep users up-to-date on what is going on, sadly, there hasn't been much to let you know.

but why not?

keep on reading, and we'll tell you.

many of our team have gotten some extra things to do over the time, which means that we do not have much free time.

we do what we can but as an opensource project CreatureS is also non-commercial, and we do need to earn something.

this does not mean we're not doing anything.

however, there isn't much to say about what we are doing.

we're mostly working on improving the site as well as coding guidelines, we need these to be more useable before we can actually code on CreatureS.

please contact us if you may have any question, you can reach us at con...@creaturesystem.org

keep in mind, that due to the limited amount of time most of our team members have replies may be slow.

if you have an email that you need an awnser to fast please send it to foxofinfinety (foxofi...@openfur.org), currently he has most time of all of us.

we love to hear from you, but remember, there are things we simply can not, yet, anwser.

Sincerenly,

OpenFur.

The only real results are some logo concepts in Theyain's DA gallery, the persona I posted above, a DA stamp, some screenshots of Ubuntu Hardy and the wallpaper contest. Theyain failed to set the right wallpaper guidelines so despite the $200 1st place prize the winning picture is hardly usable as a wallpaper, and everything else it even worse. First, it's doesn't fit wide screens, second, it's so over-detailed that once you put an icon on your desktop you lose it forever, and third, it's licensed under Creative Commons Noncommercial-No Derivative, which isn't an open source license at all. This one is the only decent entry IMO: http://thecatwalk.deviantart.com/art/Entry-for-Theyains-contest-83150104.

Adam

Jan 16, 2011, 2:55:34 PM1/16/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
I don't want to use such a generic name because it may cause confusion if CreatureS team refuses to merge projects, or a different distro with different DE or philosophy arises.
Ok, it was just my proposal, so you still want to merge with CreatureS?

Сергей

Jan 16, 2011, 4:02:22 PM1/16/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
I want to try. Two different distros, one of which is NIH-infected vaporware, just don't make sense. I always wanted to join efforts with them, but it Theyain refused to do it last time. He said he discussed it with their team, but I didn't participate in that discussion, so the team was probably given Theyain's look at this, not mine :)
CreatureS devs are very ambitious (e.g. they wanted to write their own packaging system, with blackjack and hookers - in a user-oriented OS where number and variety of available packages are critical!), so changing name seems to be a good cause to try again. I'm going to do it with an open letter this time, to express my look at this, not Theyain's.

I doubt the merge will do us any good. I doubt that it will ever happen. But it wouldn't hurt to try.

Speaking of things which you can do right now, I doubt there's any sense in promotion while we don't have stable Lucid release to show off, so it's better not to hold the wallpaper contest yet. I think we are at "figure out what we want" stage in the "figure out what we want > figure out how to do it > do it" chain, so maybe it's better to hold a brainstorm instead. I never managed to do it, but maybe you will succeed.

Respectfully,
--
Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff

Xorrito

Jan 16, 2011, 4:45:30 PM1/16/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

Ok I'm in, what should I do?

Xorrito

2011/1/16 Adam <ad...@ufurmix.org>

>> I don't want to use such a generic name because it may cause confusion if CreatureS team refu...

Сергей

Jan 16, 2011, 5:28:33 PM1/16/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
Replacing "furry remix" search with furry art search on, say, FurAffinity, ArtSpots and FurNation.ru (or whatever you want) on firefox startpage would be nice. You can find its source at https://launchpad.net/~ufurmix-maintainers/+archive/ppa/+files/ufurmix-startpage-artwork_0.7.5%7Epre.tar.gz, all the image sources I have are included.

brad jacks

Jan 17, 2011, 1:03:03 AM1/17/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
something i thought would be cool.... choos a few different animals, make a custom version of the OS that reflects that animal. like for example, fox would be fast light weight and portable. cheetah would focus on speed and productivity or wolf would be a kind of little bit of everything...since we furs tend to base our fursona on what animal qualities our personality has...so why not our OS as well? either that or have different "modes" for the OS... idk just a brain storm.... any feedback or further brainstorming on this idea would be welcome

~crazdfoxx

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:24:52 +0100
Subject: Re: [ufurmix] Ufurmix development plans
From: ad...@ufurmix.org
To: ufu...@googlegroups.com

Сергей

Jan 17, 2011, 5:26:35 AM1/17/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea! I doubt we'll make different versions of the OS without any real need (read: unless we invent some real-life use cases), but it would be cool to codename different versions like that. Maybe choose a family for each release, and name the versions accordingly. For example, the CD image could be "fox", the DVD image could be "wolf" and if we ever make a light version it could be "fennec". Biological families don't seem good enough, I'm afraid we'll have to invent some other principle... Maybe species and subspecies? This way "wolf" release would have "red wolf" or "grey wolf" CD image, "arctic wolf" DVD and "arabian wolf" for light version.

I think it's a good idea to keep some backward-compatibility with Ubuntu, maybe keep the same adjective and the same first letters... We'd better keep the adjective if we want to be compatible with PPAs etc. There's a plenty of animal suggestions at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames?action=recall&rev=681, I guess one can find more in Wikipedia's categories.

Xorrito

Jan 17, 2011, 10:05:20 AM1/17/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

I still say thay oute original idea sounds good. make different animals and make them a choice in a menu such like the theme menu.

Xorrito

On Jan 17, 2011 3:26 AM, "Сергей" <shna...@gmail.com> wrote:

I like the idea! I doubt we'll make different versions of the OS without any real need (read: unless we invent some real-life use cases), but it would be cool to codename different versions like that. Maybe choose a family for each release, and name the versions accordingly. For example, the CD image could be "fox", the DVD image could be "wolf" and if we ever make a light version it could be "fennec". Biological families don't seem good enough, I'm afraid we'll have to invent some other principle... Maybe species and subspecies? This way "wolf" release would have "red wolf" or "grey wolf" CD image, "arctic wolf" DVD and "arabian wolf" for light version.

I think it's a good idea to keep some backward-compatibility with Ubuntu, maybe keep the same adjective and the same first letters... We'd better keep the adjective if we want to be compatible with PPAs etc. There's a plenty of animal suggestions at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames?action=recall&rev=681, I guess one can find more in Wikipedia's categories.

17 января 2011 г. 9:03 пользователь brad jacks <craz...@hotmail.com> написал:

> something i thought would be cool.... choos a few different animals, make a custom version of t...

Сергей

Jan 17, 2011, 10:12:39 AM1/17/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, we have hude plans here X)

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ufurmix/+spec/extended-theming-manager
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ufurmix/+spec/species-centric-theming
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ufurmix/+spec/desktop-characters

BTW feel free to add blueprints

Xorrito

Jan 17, 2011, 10:57:00 AM1/17/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
I did not know where to put it so ill send it here, for the idea of the errors and such and replacing them with an image of the character with fitting emotions. i am willing to bet we can ask "TaniDaReal" if we can use some of her art work, for instance the "foxy Mood Icons": IMG .

2011/1/17 Сергей <shna...@gmail.com>

--
Xorrito

Сергей

Jan 17, 2011, 11:17:41 AM1/17/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
http://www.tanidareal.com/freebies.htm
Thanks for mentioning, +1 wallpaper for ufurmix

Xorrito

Jan 17, 2011, 11:19:22 AM1/17/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
Oh sweet!! i didn't even see that :P

2011/1/17 Сергей <shna...@gmail.com>

--
Xorrito

Сергей

Jan 18, 2011, 5:44:16 PM1/18/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I've got only two lines left in my Lucid TODO list: wallpapers and software selection.

This is my current software list:
gimp, blender, inkscape, soundconverter (?), compizconfig-settings-manager (?), wine (?), p7zip-full (?), ubuntu-restiricted-extras

I'll probably remove wine because it wastes lots of space, and if we want to fit the ISO into CD size, we'll need to remove something from Ubuntu as well.

There are also one more problem that I forgot to put in the list: default OS settings. I'm working on the default settings package right now, everything is trivial except setting the screensaver as default, looks like we'll have to release the RC without it.

Xorrito, any progress/questions/problems with the startpage? You didn't even ask how that package works and what is what in there! Ufurmix wasn't intended to be an every-fur-for-himself project, you know ;)

Xorrito

Jan 18, 2011, 5:57:19 PM1/18/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

Oh yeah well is not that I forgot to pay my electric bill so got no pc access, but if you could send me what you had I can work of that. Or probably get started on my phone :p

Xorrito

On Jan 18, 2011 3:44 PM, "Сергей" <shna...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ok, I've got only two lines left in my Lucid TODO list: wallpapers and software selection.

This is my current software list:
gimp, blender, inkscape, soundconverter (?), compizconfig-settings-manager (?), wine (?), p7zip-full (?), ubuntu-restiricted-extras

I'll probably remove wine because it wastes lots of space, and if we want to fit the ISO into CD size, we'll need to remove something from Ubuntu as well.

There are also one more problem that I forgot to put in the list: default OS settings. I'm working on the default settings package right now, everything is trivial except setting the screensaver as default, looks like we'll have to release the RC without it.

Xorrito, any progress/questions/problems with the startpage? You didn't even ask how that package works and what is what in there! Ufurmix wasn't intended to be an every-fur-for-himself project, you know ;)

2011/1/17 Сергей <shna...@gmail.com>

> Replacing "furry remix" search with furry art search on, say, FurAffinity, ArtSpots and FurNati...

Сергей

Jan 21, 2011, 3:08:24 PM1/21/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
A few more ideas:
Moon phase screenlet for wolves
Time- and species-aware greetings on boot, like "The hunt awaits" for lions in evening or "It's time to greet the Moon" for wolves at night

17 января 2011 г. 18:05 пользователь Xorrito <xor...@ufurmix.org> написал:

I still say thay oute original idea sounds good. make different animals and make them a choice in a menu such like the theme menu.

Xorrito

Xorrito

Jan 21, 2011, 3:14:33 PM1/21/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com

Me like! Also: "your den awaits" or something like that for a good night l! Not sure but i do like that idea, we should open a shared document or something to write our ideas!

Xorrito

Сергей

Jan 21, 2011, 3:26:07 PM1/21/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
We need a wiki. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ufurmix/+spec/website
But we haven't got one. So we can use Google Sites or Google Docs or simply Etherpad.

Xorrito

Jan 21, 2011, 3:35:07 PM1/21/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
well we can, for now use google docs, oh and can you send me the stuff you did for the web page? or should i just start up clean?

2011/1/21 Сергей <shna...@gmail.com>

--
Xorrito

Сергей

Jan 21, 2011, 4:06:46 PM1/21/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
All ufurmix stuff is available at https://code.launchpad.net/~shnatsel/ufurmix/lucid
I don't think it's the right time to work on a web page; Google Docs is too complex for this task IMO. EtherPad-powered http://typewith.me seems be the right tool.

Xorrito

Jan 21, 2011, 4:26:20 PM1/21/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
ok, sounds good to me, will you set it up and ill jump in when you are ready? (the typewith me thing)

2011/1/21 Сергей <shna...@gmail.com>

--
Xorrito

Сергей

Jan 21, 2011, 4:28:39 PM1/21/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
Why me? DIY!

Xorrito

Jan 21, 2011, 4:30:25 PM1/21/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
lol Oy!!! sowy, um lets see *walks off*

2011/1/21 Сергей <shna...@gmail.com>

--
Xorrito

Xorrito

Jan 21, 2011, 4:33:12 PM1/21/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
oky well here, i think i did it right, hopefully. and it dossen't seem like it will be saved long term.... well ether way here: http://typewith.me/slmzCywlqW

2011/1/21 Xorrito <xor...@ufurmix.org>

--
Xorrito

Сергей

Jan 21, 2011, 4:43:44 PM1/21/11
to ufu...@googlegroups.com
Pads which are not used for 7 days may be deleted, but there's an awesome export feature ;)

Xorrito