Group Evaluations

Rishi Chopra

Sep 11, 2002, 2:27:11 PM9/11/02
Can we be given more information on how our group evaluations will be
used, and how these evaluations will affect our grade?

With regards to the absolute rating, the direction page states "Most of
your scores should be between 25 and 75 (and probably between 40 and 75).
We will subtract credit if your scores seem to be excessively unrelated to
reality."

What exactly does this mean? Supposing we give each of our other 4 group
members 25%, and we are perfectly happy with their contribution and
performance - can we give each one an absolute rating of 100?

I'm somewhat concerned about this, since all of my group members were
helpful beyond my initital expectations, and more often than not (in my
experience) these type of evaluations prove to be both a distraction and a
divisive factor in the productivity of a well functioning group.

-Rishi

PS: Can we submit our group eval more than once to revise our submission?

Robert Lin

Sep 12, 2002, 8:32:19 PM9/12/02
to Rishi Chopra
I would have to agree with Rishi, I think this evaluation is very unclear,
please provide more detail about the effects on my group's grades and my
own grades if I give them all very high scores (quite frankly, I think all
of my group members deserve 100).

Robert Lin

Abraham Shaw

Sep 12, 2002, 11:30:37 PM9/12/02
to Robert Lin, Rishi Chopra
hi Robert,

so the TAs and professor feel that doing the group evaluations, while
tedious, is the best way to give credit where credit is due. so
the final homework/project grade may be adjusted according to prof Smith's
formula. if each person gets 25%, then that means everyone did equal
work. please see the Mechanics page for an example of how to rate
partners.
this is supposed to be a deterant, or incentive for ppl to do their
fair share of work for the projects.

-Abe
OH: Tu, Th 2-3:30p in 751 Soda
section: Th 11-12p in 310 Hearst Minning