What a Day

Dickson Smith

Nov 30, 2021, 9:49:24 PM11/30/21
to UBIRD
I must say I had quite the day for unusual bird sightings in my yard today. I posted this morning the sighting of a female Anna's Hummingbird coming into the feeder I have kept out for just such a possible occasion. I had just happened to walk up to the window in my family room that I have the feeder out in front of and saw a hummingbird fly up to it. I got my phone out of my pocket and was trying to get the camera running when it disappeared. Hoping for a chance that it might return I sat down in my recliner with my phone camera at the ready. It reappeared within about 10 seconds, took a couple drinks and left. I was able to get 2 photos. Last I saw of it, it was headed over the garage chasing a sparrow.
Later that afternoon, while putting up our outside Christmas decoration in the front yard, I needed something out of the garage and upon coming around the corner of the house I spotted a Sharp-shinned hawk sitting on one of my sprinkler lines by my garden area. I froze and watched it as it was intently searching with its eyes the bushes out in front of it. I slowly backed up and when I was out of view ran around to the front of the house and went in to get my camera.  I went back outside via the backdoor thinking it would probably be gone and was surprised to see it perched in the same spot. Well to make a long story short I was able to get within 20 feet of it by slowly approaching it after it had flown up on my fence. I ended up taking 230 photos of it as it continued to hunt the bushes in my backyard, where it successfully caught a house sparrow it chased out of a bush right at ground level. Though I wasn't able to photograph the chase I did get the capture. That was one very determined and or very hungry hawk, not fleeing when I first appeared in the yard. Wow, what an amazing day, I hadn't planned for!

--
Dickson Smith

_I8A8305a.jpg
_I8A8332a.jpg
_I8A8176a.jpg
_I8A8315a.jpg
_I8A8322a.jpg
_I8A8370-1a.jpg
20211130_094711.jpg

Matthew Wallace

Dec 7, 2021, 4:23:07 PM12/7/21
to dickson...@gmail.com, UBIRD

Is anyone else getting this email many many times after it was initially sent back on Nov. 30th? Or is it just me? This and several other emails keep coming in to my inbox. I don't know if it's got to do with a list-serve setting  or what...

Matthew.

Visit us at http://www.utahbirders.com
Places to Bird in Utah: http://utahbirdingspots.blogspot.com/
Read Our Blog: http://utahbirders.blogspot.com
See Our Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/groups/utahbirders/pool/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "UBIRD - Utah Birds and Birders" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ubird/CAJA7PNGnBUkyR85_K%3DkWUyR6St7VXbemUEow85vAHH9-bixa%2BA%40mail.gmail.com.

Mia

Dec 7, 2021, 4:25:44 PM12/7/21
to ub...@googlegroups.com

Matthew, I am only getting one copy of these emails except for the seven you have sent with the exact same message in the past few minutes

Mia

Matthew Wallace

Dec 7, 2021, 4:29:13 PM12/7/21
to m...@onthewingphotography.com, ub...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for letting me know Mia. It's the damnedest thing. All those 7 emails keep streaming into my inbox, from as far back as Nov. 5th. Sorry for deluging you and the rest but I'm trying to figure out what in the world is going on...

Matthew.