Changed user-agent string breaks Apple's MobileMe

darrylo

Jan 6, 2009, 11:44:52 AM1/6/09
to ubiquity-firefox
OK, arguably, this is an issue with Apple, but 0.1.4 has broken
Apple's MobileMe website. Because of the change to the user-agent
string, MobileMe does not properly detect the browser, and kicks the
user out to an "unsupported browser" error page.

The workaround is to install the "User Agent Switcher" addon, and
create a user-agent without the Ubiquity entry.

Atul Varma

Jan 6, 2009, 4:01:02 PM1/6/09
to ubiquity...@googlegroups.com
Ack, that's not good... The web server at ubiquity.mozilla.com that
serves the standard command feeds to Ubiquity provides a different set
of feeds based on the ubiquity version present in the User-Agent
string... Hmmm. I'm not sure how to easily get around this other than
telling Apple to not suck.

- Atul

darrylo

Jan 6, 2009, 4:49:12 PM1/6/09
to ubiquity-firefox
Well, I can't speak for others, but I can just temporarily switch user
agents when I access MobileMe (which is not often). I don't mind
doing that. However, I have seen various forum/blog posts where
people are just uninstalling ubiquity (and then complaining about how
that doesn't fully "uninstall" ubiquity, as it doesn't remove
ubiquity's user-agent config setting).

Atul Varma

Jan 6, 2009, 4:54:13 PM1/6/09
to ubiquity...@googlegroups.com
Oh, good point, thanks... It looks like we've got a ticket for it here:

  http://labs.toolness.com/trac/ticket/471

Anyone interested in taking this on for Ubiquity 0.2?

- Atul