Ubiquity often unresponsive

Ben!

Oct 9, 2008, 2:39:59 PM10/9/08
to ubiquity-firefox
Hello,

I tried posting this in a couple of older threads but it went
unnoticed. Oftentimes, with no explanation that I can figure out,
Ubiquity will stop working. Below I've copy/pasted a message I wrote
in another thread:

Firebug gives me this error:

gContextMenu is null

Also:

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIWebNavigation.sessionHistory]" nsresult:
"0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml :: :: line 644" data:
no]
chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml
Line 650

I've cleared my cache to no effect. I've uninstalled once, and it
worked fine for a little while and then it always ends up happening
again.

One thing I've noticed: when it's not working, ctrl+space brings up
the Ubiquity window but doesn't automatically place my cursor in it.
Whenever it's working properly, my cursor is placed in the window.

Does anybody else still have this problem or know of a fix? Also, I
should mention that I haven't subscribed to any new commands.

Gary Hodgson

Oct 10, 2008, 2:11:42 AM10/10/08
to ubiquity...@googlegroups.com
I too have noticed this happen, although my symptoms are slightly different:

Occasionally I get the Firebug message "gContextMenu is null", as mentioned by Ben, and from that point on the Ubiquity command is not responsive. i.e. the ctrl-space combo brings up the command entry box, but it fails to get focus, and even manually giving it focus, it no longer functions (no previews, no actions).  I then have to restart Firefox to get it to work again.

I had thought perhaps this is because some of the commands I have written make synchronous calls, and that opening the command editor whilst Ubiquity is 'busy' may be confusing it - but I cannot consistently recreate the error in this way, so I suspect something else is the root cause.

Regards,
Gary

Blair McBride

Oct 11, 2008, 3:21:28 AM10/11/08
to ubiquity...@googlegroups.com
I can't help but wonder if this is due to some bad interaction with
another extension. Any chance you two could post which extensions you
have installed? You could both have the same extension that's causing
issues.

- Blair

garyhodgson

Oct 11, 2008, 8:08:50 AM10/11/08
to ubiquity-firefox
Hi Blair,

Here's my list of extensions:

Application: Firefox 3.0.3 (2008092417)
Operating System: WINNT (x86-msvc)

- Adblock Plus 0.7.5.5
- British English Dictionary 1.19
- CHM Reader 0.2.3
- Clippings 3.0.1
- CustomizeGoogle 0.75
- Extension List Dumper 1.14.1
- FaviconizeTab 0.9.8.2
- Firebug 1.2.1
- FireFTP 1.0.2
- FoxyTunes 3.0.4.1
- Geode 1.5
- Google Gears 0.4.20.0
- Google Toolbar for Firefox 5.0.20080919Wb1
- gTranslate 0.5.1
- Java Console 6.0.02
- Java Console 6.0.01
- Java Console 6.0.03
- Java Console 6.0.07
- Remember The Milk for Gmail 1.0.3
- TwitterFox 1.7.2
- Ubiquity 0.1.1
- URL Fixer 1.4.3
- Web Developer 1.1.6

And when it happens again I will scour the Error console etc and post
whatever I find.

If you think of any tests, or have requests for more info, just let me
know.

Cheers,
Gary

On Oct 11, 9:21 am, "Blair McBride" <unfocu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't help but wonder if this is due to some bad interaction with
> another extension. Any chance you two could post which extensions you
> have installed? You could both have the same extension that's causing
> issues.
>
> - Blair
>
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 7:11 PM, Gary Hodgson <gary.s.hodg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I too have noticed this happen, although my symptoms are slightly different:
>
> > Occasionally I get the Firebug message "gContextMenu is null", as mentioned
> > by Ben, and from that point on the Ubiquity command is not responsive. i.e.
> > the ctrl-space combo brings up the command entry box, but it fails to get
> > focus, and even manually giving it focus, it no longer functions (no
> > previews, no actions).  I then have to restart Firefox to get it to work
> > again.
>
> > I had thought perhaps this is because some of the commands I have written
> > make synchronous calls, and that opening the command editor whilst Ubiquity
> > is 'busy' may be confusing it - but I cannot consistently recreate the error
> > in this way, so I suspect something else is the root cause.
>
> > Regards,
> > Gary

Blair McBride

Oct 14, 2008, 1:16:56 AM10/14/08
to ubiquity...@googlegroups.com
Until this is fixed, I've added a ticket for this bug:
http://labs.toolness.com/trac/ticket/351

- Blair

andrewd

Oct 23, 2008, 1:30:51 PM10/23/08
to ubiquity-firefox
Ubiquity also becomes unresponsive for me. Sometimes creating a new
window works, sometimes closing Firefox works. Sometimes I just have
to give up and type in google.com.

On Oct 14, 1:16 am, "Blair McBride" <unfocu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Until this is fixed, I've added a ticket for this bug:http://labs.toolness.com/trac/ticket/351
>
> - Blair

Eduardo

Oct 24, 2008, 12:21:21 PM10/24/08
to ubiquity-firefox
Same issue here in Firefox 3.0.3 - Windows Vista.

Fabiano Sant'Ana

Oct 24, 2008, 12:25:05 PM10/24/08
to ubiquity...@googlegroups.com
Same issue here in Firefox 3.0.3 - Windows XP SP3

Athene

Nov 8, 2008, 1:51:37 AM11/8/08
to ubiquity-firefox
I have the same problem. I'm on a Mac with Firefox 3. Generally I get
a weird Growl notice at the same time (I don't remember exactly what
though)

-athene

On Oct 24, 10:25 am, "Fabiano Sant'Ana" <fabianosant...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Same issue here in Firefox 3.0.3 - Windows XP SP3

msk...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2008, 2:24:43 AM11/8/08
to ubiquity...@googlegroups.com
Athene,

What weird notice? I am using this on Win-XP with snarl and I see no such thing. Perhaps, in your case, it may still be visible in the FF error console (Tools >>> Error Console) ?
--
Mayuresh

Fernando Takai

Nov 8, 2008, 2:19:49 PM11/8/08
to ubiquity...@googlegroups.com
On my OS X 10.5.5 everything is alright (on trunk's head and 0.1.2)
--
Fernando "Takai"
http://flickr.com/photos/supeertakai