Bounty for uIEC Geos driver?

redrumloa

Jun 6, 2010, 2:13:57 PM6/6/10
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
On comp.sys.cbm I posted a message regarding the possibility of a
bounty for a Geos driver for the uIEC.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.cbm/browse_thread/thread/cd714fcab073d0a2#

Input would be appreciated.

hevosenliha

Jun 6, 2010, 3:36:48 PM6/6/10
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
I think it's easier to add GEOS compability to uIEC than to add uIEC
compability to GEOS.

I'm right in the middle of disassembling Configure to be able to add
drivers to it. I've written a GEOS driver that lets you use a D64 file
on IDE64 as a floppy, next task is to include this driver in
Configure,
the way GEOS wants to do it.

I think everything would be a lot easier if the driver code was added
uIEC instead, and probably just a DeskAccessory to browse uIEC to
select
what D64 to mount.

I just presume we're talking D64 stuff here, if not, tell me more! ;)

redrumloa

Jun 6, 2010, 4:18:32 PM6/6/10
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
I'm sure you as a programmer would know better than me as to the best
method to get compatibility working. At the very least I would to see
it working at all. If the easiest way is to work on the uIEC firmware,
so be it. Maybe have a first bounty just to get D64 and D81
compatibility as you state? After this is working then maybe
additional functionality could be looked at later. Speaking for
myself, just getting it working at all would be a huge step. Ideally
being able to support more than just a disk image would be fantastic,
but I understand that could be much more difficult.

If this is something yo have worked on, maybe you have a bounty amount
in mind? A stated target bounty may make it easier to achieve than an
open one.

Jim

Jim Brain

Jun 6, 2010, 10:45:37 PM6/6/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
On 6/6/2010 3:18 PM, redrumloa wrote:
> I'm sure you as a programmer would know better than me as to the best
> method to get compatibility working. At the very least I would to see
> it working at all. If the easiest way is to work on the uIEC firmware,
> so be it. Maybe have a first bounty just to get D64 and D81
> compatibility as you state? After this is working then maybe
> additional functionality could be looked at later. Speaking for
> myself, just getting it working at all would be a huge step. Ideally
> being able to support more than just a disk image would be fantastic,
> but I understand that could be much more difficult.
>
> If this is something yo have worked on, maybe you have a bounty amount
> in mind? A stated target bounty may make it easier to achieve than an
> open one.

I don't just want a driver, I want the protocol documented. Ingo has
always stated that if we could just get the protocol documented,
implementing it in sd2iec would be straightforward.

And yes, I'd want to do more than D64 support. At the very least, DNP
support for 16MB images.

Are there others willing to help with a bounty? I'd prefer to match
bounty funds.

Jim7

Dane Ruyle

Jun 6, 2010, 11:42:30 PM6/6/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
I'll donate $ if we can get some 128 functionality...

> Are there others willing to help with a bounty? I'd prefer to match
> bounty funds.
>
> Jim7

redrumloa

Jun 6, 2010, 11:47:38 PM6/6/10
On Jun 6, 10:45 pm, Jim Brain <br...@jbrain.com> wrote:

> I don't just want a driver, I want the protocol documented.  Ingo has
> always stated that if we could just get the protocol documented,
> implementing it in sd2iec would be straightforward.
>
> And yes, I'd want to do more than D64 support.  At the very least, DNP
> support for 16MB images.
>
> Are there others willing to help with a bounty?  I'd prefer to match
> bounty funds.
>
> Jim7

Your input certainly puts weight into the subject :-) On comp.sys.cbm
xlar54 states he has the reversed engineered Geos source code on his
hard drive. I know hat is not quite the same as documented. What about
the Hitchhikers guide to Geos on Dmackey's site? Would that help with
a starting point to someone?

If I understand your suggestion right, the bounty should include:

1) Geos protocol documented
2) D64 support implemented in sd2iec
3) D81 support implemented in sd2iec
4) DNP support for 16MB images implemented in sd2iec
5) Must work in Geos 64, Geos 128, Wheels 64 and Wheels 128

More input appreciated and most importantly:
Would people donate (small or large)?
Would someone be up to the job?

I see the uIEC as almost a perfect device at a very good price. Geos
support would certainly be phenomenal!

redrumloa

Jun 7, 2010, 12:02:12 AM6/7/10
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
> What about the Hitchhikers guide to Geos on Dmackey's site?

DLH, please accept my apologies, As soon as I posted I realized I said
the wrong user name. Obviously I meant DLH's site...

I just got back from my oldest son's high school graduation and I an
sore and tired from those uncomfortable bleacher seats!

hevosenliha

Jun 7, 2010, 2:59:37 AM6/7/10

The source I'm working with is here http://ytm.bossstation.dnsalias.org/html/geos.html

> I know hat is not quite the same as documented.

"just hook up a logic analyzer"
If anyone is interested in some kind of timing chart I probably could
provide that.

I don't have such a thing, yet...

> If I understand your suggestion right, the bounty should include:
>
> 1) Geos protocol documented

We know where to start there. ;)

> 2) D64 support implemented in sd2iec

Isn't sd2iec capable of mounting a D64 to emulate a 1541 already?

> 4) DNP support for 16MB images implemented in sd2iec

This involves GEOS hacking, but I'll provide IDE64 drivers to mount
16MB images when I'm done with my current project.

> 5) Must work in Geos 64, Geos 128, Wheels 64 and Wheels 128

SCPU? Where do we find these?

The way I'm working is to use the kernal drivers for IDE64, the
"magic" being file positioning and "block" read.
(set pos, read 256 bytes, set new pos and so on)

If we stick to using kernal calls (may it be jiffy dos or whatever) it
could be a quite easy to manage this in just a hacked Configure, but
fixing sd2iec firmware would imho be better, then it would work from
"any geos".

> Would people donate (small or large)?
> Would someone be up to the job?

I'd rather code, and I'm halfway there.

"Documentation" of my IDE64 GEOS project: http://mumu21.se/?page=413

Al Anger

Jun 7, 2010, 6:14:00 PM6/7/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com

> Are there others willing to help with a bounty? I'd prefer to match
> bounty funds.
>
> Jim7

I would be glad to help.

al

Six of DLoC

Jun 8, 2010, 4:56:53 PM6/8/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
redrumloa wrote :

> If I understand your suggestion right, the bounty should include:
>
> 1) Geos protocol documented
> 2) D64 support implemented in sd2iec
> 3) D81 support implemented in sd2iec
> 4) DNP support for 16MB images implemented in sd2iec
> 5) Must work in Geos 64, Geos 128, Wheels 64 and Wheels 128
>
> More input appreciated and most importantly:
> Would people donate (small or large)?
> Would someone be up to the job?

So how much is this bounty, and what are the formal specs?

Jim Brain

Jun 8, 2010, 8:23:36 PM6/8/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
How would entice you? :-) $500, $1000, more?

--
Jim Brain, Brain Innovations (X)
br...@jbrain.com

Six of DLoC

Jun 9, 2010, 9:48:16 AM6/9/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
Jim Brain wrote :

> How would entice you? :-) $500, $1000, more?

Pretty much anything that's an actual return on coding would sell me on it.
You know my current project status. Another 2 or 3 weeks and I could start hacking
on this. There are more seasoned GEOS hackers out there who could knock this out of
the park while I was still tooling up, though. (Glenn is the first person who comes to mind)
If there's still a bounty and no-one's claimed it when I finish our current project, count me in.

Zane H. Healy

Jun 9, 2010, 11:19:39 AM6/9/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
A few thoughts on this, so far all I'm seeing are some disjointed
posts on the subject. The interested parties need to first decide
what the bounty is going to be for. Then they need to decide how it
will be managed (and the money for the bounty banked). Then the
bounty can be assigned. I've seen that the AROS community does
bounties, perhaps there is some expertise there that can give advice.

Honestly I'm not interested, as I've while I have multiple copies of
the Geos distribution floppies, I've never used it. I'm simply
offering some ideas, based on what I've seen from observing the
progress in the AROS world (something else I haven't used, but have
kept an eye on for over a decade).

Zane

| hea...@aracnet.com | OpenVMS Enthusiast |
| | Classic Computer Collector |
| http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |

redrumloa

Jun 9, 2010, 5:23:03 PM6/9/10
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
I've reached out to the person who mainly ran the AROS bounties and
got some good suggestions. I tried reaching out to Jim (Brain) for
some advise on the specific scope, but have not gotten a response as
of yet. Jim is probably busy, so I will ask here. What should the
"formal specifications" be? At the moment I have this.

Add Geos support to the SD2IEC firmware so Geos will operate using
D64, D81 and DNP images from a uIEC. Compatibility is required with
Geos 64, Geos 128, Wheels 64 and Wheels 128. When the bounty is
assigned, the programmer will have 90(???) days to complete. If not
completed within the time frame, it will be open for re-assignment.
Bounty may be collected when operation is to a reasonable Beta level,
to be determined by Jim Brain(?).

If someone would like to make suggestions on what to add to this or
change it, please do. I can set up a new PayPal account to collect
donations. To track donations I will probably set up a new site,
rather than use an existing site.

Thoughts? If there is relative success with this bounty, future
bounties could be made. For people such as myself who have poor
programming skills, it is a way to put our money where our mouth is
when we want to see a certain piece of software.

On Jun 9, 11:19 am, "Zane H. Healy" <heal...@aracnet.com> wrote:
> A few thoughts on this, so far all I'm seeing are some disjointed
> posts on the subject.  The interested parties need to first decide
> what the bounty is going to be for.  Then they need to decide how it
> will be managed (and the money for the bounty banked).  Then the
> bounty can be assigned.  I've seen that the AROS community does
> bounties, perhaps there is some expertise there that can give advice.
>
> Honestly I'm not interested, as I've while I have multiple copies of
> the Geos distribution floppies, I've never used it.  I'm simply
> offering some ideas, based on what I've seen from observing the
> progress in the AROS world (something else I haven't used, but have
> kept an eye on for over a decade).
>
> Zane
>
> --
> | Zane H. Healy                    | UNIX Systems Administrator |
> | heal...@aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |

Zane H. Healy

Jun 9, 2010, 5:46:20 PM6/9/10
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
While as I stated earlier this morning I'm not interested in Geos
compatibility, I can see where there could very likely be other Bounties
in the future that I might be interested in donating to. I think setting up
a good framework for this for the C-64 would be a good idea.

Which reminds me, is Wasteland supported yet?

Zane

Dane Ruyle

Jun 9, 2010, 9:40:30 PM6/9/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good.

For future projects, I myself would love to start a bounty for an IP stack on the 128 and put it in the option ROM slot.  And some sample apps.

Right on Red.

> Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:23:03 -0700
> Subject: Re: Bounty for uIEC Geos driver?
> From: amig...@bellsouth.net
> To: uIEC-...@googlegroups.com

> I've reached out to the person who mainly ran the AROS bounties and
> got some good suggestions. I tried reaching out to Jim (Brain) for
> some advise on the specific scope, but have not gotten a response as
> of yet. Jim is probably busy, so I will ask here. What should the
> "formal specifications" be? At the moment I have this.
>
> Add Geos support to the SD2IEC firmware so Geos will operate using
> D64, D81 and DNP images from a uIEC. Compatibility is required with
> Geos 64, Geos 128, Wheels 64 and Wheels 128. When the bounty is
> assigned, the programmer will have 90(???) days to complete. If not
> completed within the time frame, it will be open for re-assignment.
> Bounty may be collected when operation is to a reasonable Beta level,
> to be determined by Jim Brain(?).
>
> If someone would like to make suggestions on what to add to this or
> change it, please do. I can set up a new PayPal account to collect
> donations. To track donations I will probably set up a new site,
> rather than use an existing site.
>
> Thoughts? If there is relative success with this bounty, future
> bounties could be made. For people such as myself who have poor
> programming skills, it is a way to put our money where our mouth is
> when we want to see a certain piece of software.

Jim Brain

Jun 9, 2010, 10:01:21 PM6/9/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
On 6/9/2010 4:46 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
While as I stated earlier this morning I'm not interested in Geos
compatibility, I can see where there could very likely be other Bounties
in the future that I might be interested in donating to.  I think setting up
a good framework for this for the C-64 would be a good idea.
Instead of creating something entirely new, I'd recommend using BountySource: https://www.bountysource.com/  It's already set up for this type of thing.  RentaCoder might also work, though someone would need to check the difference.  I don't care as long as we don't re-invent the wheel.

I can set the formal specifications.  Essentially, the goal is two-fold:

  • Document the GEOS DiskTurbo Protocol and it's various implementations (1541, 1571, 1581,FD,HD,RAMLink) and various versions (if different versions exist for Wheels64/128 and GEOS 64/128)
  • Implement at least the 1541 and HD variations in the sd2iec firmware.
For the first $250.00 in donations, RETRO Innovations will match the donation amount.  RETRO Innovations may match funds beyond that amount.  If the developer does not have uIEC/SD, RETRO Innovations will loan a unit for up to 90 days for testing/use.

I thought about splitting them up, but it just doesn't make sense.  The bounty only makes sense for a successful implementation, but the documentation is very important as well.

Success will be defined as:

Booting a GEOS Disk image (any image type)
Running a GEOS application
Writing a GEOS file on a disk image
Reading the file back.
Documentation backing up the implementation, including a description of the protocol.

Nice to haves:
Ability to change mounted images while running GEOS

Jim

Mark Gladson

Jun 9, 2010, 10:19:32 PM6/9/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
You guys may want to start with this guy:

http://ytm.bossstation.dnsalias.org/html/ciaide.html

and check this link on his site as well:

http://ytm.bossstation.dnsalias.org/html/geos.html

not sure if he is still active or if anything there will help, but give it a shot....

Mark Gladson

Jun 9, 2010, 10:36:51 PM6/9/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
http://members.optusnet.com.au/spacetaxi64/PC-HARDWARE/CIA-IDE-HD/CIA-IDE-HD.html

more info, seems these guys or guy, is on the right track...

Jim Brain

Jun 9, 2010, 10:57:14 PM6/9/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
On 6/9/2010 9:19 PM, Mark Gladson wrote:
> You guys may want to start with this guy:
>
> http://ytm.bossstation.dnsalias.org/html/ciaide.html
>
> and check this link on his site as well:
>
> http://ytm.bossstation.dnsalias.org/html/geos.html
>
> not sure if he is still active or if anything there will help, but
> give it a shot....
There's some value to these attempts (this and the IDE64 one discussed
in C.S.C.), but they mainly work by bypassing the diskTurbo code. (they
just insert their own direct calls to the IDE interface from the GEOS code)

Jim

hevosenliha

Jun 10, 2010, 1:11:17 AM6/10/10
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
I can inform you that this wonderful guy has no access to any C=
hardware at all right now.
And as stated in another message, his geos drivers are based on
bypassing the turbodos completely.

Btw, can we come to the conclusion that we want GEOS support in the
sd2iec firmware rather than sd2iec support in GEOS?

Jim Brain

Jun 10, 2010, 1:20:07 AM6/10/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
On 6/10/2010 12:11 AM, hevosenliha wrote:
> Btw, can we come to the conclusion that we want GEOS support in the
> sd2iec firmware rather than sd2iec support in GEOS?

Yes, we can.

Jim

Paul Foerster

Jun 10, 2010, 1:27:38 AM6/10/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

>> Btw, can we come to the conclusion that we want GEOS support in the
>> sd2iec firmware rather than sd2iec support in GEOS?
> Yes, we can.

... I second that and would like to donate some bucks as soon as the
bounty site is up.
--
cul8er

Paul
paul.f...@gmail.com

xlar54

Jun 11, 2010, 7:48:46 AM6/11/10
to µIEC Users Discussion Group

Just to ensure credit goes where it is due - it wasnt i that reverse
engineered the code, i just found it is all. Likely the same person
that you guys have found in the rest of the thread. Im all for this,
and hope to see it happen.

Ingo Korb

Jun 12, 2010, 6:24:28 AM6/12/10
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
redrumloa <amig...@bellsouth.net> writes:

> 4) DNP support for 16MB images implemented in sd2iec

Is there a patch or something that adds support for the CMD devices to
GEOS? Is it available to non-owners?

> 5) Must work in Geos 64, Geos 128, Wheels 64 and Wheels 128

I know that GEOS 64/128 are available as a free download, but are disk
images of Wheels available anywhere on the net (legally or not)? If not,
requiring support for Wheels for the bounty will limit the number of
people who can attempt the job a lot.

Oh, and "must work" should probably be defined in more detail:
- Work just as a second drive added from Configure?
- Boot Geos from a disk image? Restrictions on that image? e.g.:
- backup made with a tool like geoMakeBoot
- patched for sd2iec (patch to be developed)
- specific existing cracked version (there's one on CSDB)
- cbmfiles.com images
- d64 from original disk

One could probably argue that the last point would be a violation of
various anti-circumventions laws like the DMCA around the world. I know
the USA has exemptions specifically for interoperability (might not
apply) and obsolete computer programs (most likely applies), but other
countries might not.

-ik

redrumloa

Jim Brain

Jun 12, 2010, 12:25:34 PM6/12/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
On 6/12/2010 5:24 AM, Ingo Korb wrote:
> redrumloa<amig...@bellsouth.net> writes:
>

>> 4) DNP support for 16MB images implemented in sd2iec
>>
> Is there a patch or something that adds support for the CMD devices to
> GEOS? Is it available to non-owners?
>

>> 5) Must work in Geos 64, Geos 128, Wheels 64 and Wheels 128
>>
> I know that GEOS 64/128 are available as a free download, but are disk
> images of Wheels available anywhere on the net (legally or not)? If not,
> requiring support for Wheels for the bounty will limit the number of
> people who can attempt the job a lot.

I am pretty sure the protocol did not change, but it's something to
consider.

> Oh, and "must work" should probably be defined in more detail:
> - Work just as a second drive added from Configure?
> - Boot Geos from a disk image? Restrictions on that image? e.g.:
> - backup made with a tool like geoMakeBoot
> - patched for sd2iec (patch to be developed)
> - specific existing cracked version (there's one on CSDB)
> - cbmfiles.com images
> - d64 from original disk

I think D64 from original disk is best. geoMakeBoot requires original
equipment (though someone could argue that d64 image does as well)

> One could probably argue that the last point would be a violation of
> various anti-circumventions laws like the DMCA around the world. I know
> the USA has exemptions specifically for interoperability (might not
> apply) and obsolete computer programs (most likely applies), but other
> countries might not.

I don't think the DMCA (or the WIPO treaties that it implements)
applies, since there is no DRM involved here. The work would not
circumvent any copyrights, as the user would still be required to obtain
a legal copy of the required SW.

Jim

dmackey828

Jun 12, 2010, 7:02:38 PM6/12/10
to µIEC Users Discussion Group
<Snip>

> I know that GEOS 64/128 are available as a free download, but are disk
> images of Wheels available anywhere on the net (legally or not)? If not,
> requiring support for Wheels for the bounty will limit the number of
> people who can attempt the job a lot.

<snip>

Go to Pokefinder and do a Wheels search..

www.pokefinder.org : http://www.pokefinder.org/

David L. Haynes

Jun 12, 2010, 8:05:38 PM6/12/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
Please take the time to make the terms of the bounty clear and concise.

I will definitely contribute a 'substantial' amount towards the bounty.

David Haynes
d...@bombjack.org

www.bombjack.org/commodore

Jun 13, 2010, 1:19:38 AM6/13/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
Is this "bounty" as it's called going to be able to run GEOS/WHEELS
directly from the uIEC SD card by setting aside a portion of the card
upon boot up for either shadow ram, or some other manipulation as such
to "mimic" a REU/SCPU/Ramlink? Just curious about that aspect of
it.;) Thanks, Charles

On 6/12/10, David L. Haynes <David....@bombjack.org> wrote:
> Please take the time to make the terms of the bounty clear and concise.
>
> I will definitely contribute a 'substantial' amount towards the bounty.
>
> David Haynes
> d...@bombjack.org
>
> www.bombjack.org/commodore

Paul Foerster

Jun 13, 2010, 1:41:59 AM6/13/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Charles,

> Is this "bounty" as it's called going to be able to run GEOS/WHEELS
> directly from the uIEC SD card by setting aside a portion of the card
> upon boot up for either shadow ram, or some other manipulation as such
> to "mimic" a REU/SCPU/Ramlink? Just curious about that aspect of
> it.;) Thanks, Charles

... a bounty is a monetary gift or reward, so per definition it is
never going to be able to run on or with GEOS or Wheels. :-P But the
driver that the author provides for GEOS/Wheels or the uIEC firmware
does, or better, should... And for that s/he receives the bounty.
--
cul8er

Paul
paul.f...@gmail.com

Ingo Korb

Jun 13, 2010, 3:03:40 PM6/13/10
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
dmackey828 <n2...@arrl.net> writes:

> Go to Pokefinder and do a Wheels search..

Thanks... At first glance it seems to be a completely different code
than the one in GEOS. Wheels has a jump table at 0300 on a 1541, GEOS
has something that looks like a permutation table (16 values from $00 to
$0f in non-ascending order).

-ik

Ingo Korb

Jun 20, 2010, 5:11:26 PM6/20/10
to uIEC-...@googlegroups.com
Jim Brain <br...@jbrain.com> writes:

> Instead of creating something entirely new, I'd recommend using
> BountySource: https://www.bountysource.com/ It's already set up for
> this type of thing. RentaCoder might also work, though someone would
> need to check the difference. I don't care as long as we don't
> re-invent the wheel.

It looks like the discussion on this suddenly stopped for some reason?

This video could be interesting to some people here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3aC0wt7qt8

-ik

amigaguy

Jun 20, 2010, 5:15:21 PM6/20/10
to uiec-...@googlegroups.com
No it hasn't stopped, I plan on launching this site tonight.

http://commodorebounty.com/

I am adding a PayPal button at this moment and we should be live soon.