Ping Bjay

Jerry

Aug 15, 2008, 2:37:18 PM8/15/08
Where did you go?

bj_...@yahoo.com

Aug 15, 2008, 5:11:50 PM8/15/08
On 15 Aug, 13:37, "Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote:
> Where did you go?

=========can you be more specific.

Jerry

Aug 15, 2008, 6:40:38 PM8/15/08

<bj_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:99f20fc2-fa42-46be...@v57g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

> On 15 Aug, 13:37, "Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote:
>> Where did you go?
>
> =========can you be more specific.

I was hoping you would post some more ways to save money. I sure could use
the tips.

bj_...@yahoo.com

Aug 15, 2008, 6:52:51 PM8/15/08
On 15 Aug, 17:40, "Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote:
> <bj_k...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

=====oh, that. Give me a little time, and I will share more of my
''wheeling and dealing'' ways,means and methods.. I wrote a book
about it, however, I've mis placed it, and it has been some time since
any body has requested that I share,of course other than
''annoymous'', so therefore Jer, I'll have to find the 9&1/2 page
book. <grin>.You will tiger with me, I mean bear with me,
woncha. ? <grin> JayTHeHe=

Mr. JayT

Aug 16, 2008, 7:35:31 AM8/16/08
Okay...........okay..........?? Jerry keep the ''ping
topic''.....going. Thangs are slowing down on here again. Keep those
SA remarks 'a 'coming form Houston. JT.

Jerry

Aug 16, 2008, 4:22:54 PM8/16/08

"Mr. JayT" <JayT...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Okay...........okay..........?? Jerry keep the ''ping
> topic''.....going. Thangs are slowing down on here again. Keep those
> SA remarks 'a 'coming form Houston. JT.

As long as you keep those DA posts of yours flowing, my SA remarks will be
there.

BiffB

Aug 16, 2008, 5:10:53 PM8/16/08
I think you two are just looking for an excuse to ride out to Yankee's.

Jerry

Aug 16, 2008, 6:24:37 PM8/16/08

"BiffB" <us...@invalid.domain> wrote in message

Not me.

SKooter Bum

Aug 16, 2008, 11:30:45 PM8/16/08

Somebody went to Yankee's and didn't invite me?
SKooter

Jerry

Aug 17, 2008, 10:03:01 AM8/17/08

"SKooter Bum" <skooter...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Wernt me. The Valkyrie is scattered in a hundred pieces.

Mr. JayT

Aug 17, 2008, 10:53:21 AM8/17/08

Jerry tells SkooterBum: Wernt me. The Valkyrie is scattered in a
hundred pieces.--

==Lol! why do I think that's funny, I'm trying to figure out why I am
lol'ing. MrJayT-

Mr. JayT

Aug 17, 2008, 11:56:20 AM8/17/08

``Jerry said this first and foremost``: Bjay,As long as you keep those
DA posts of yours flowing, my SA remarks will be there.(Jer)
``````````````````````````````````````````````````
''Then biffb416 adds his 3bits:''I think you two are just looking for an
excuse to ride out to Yankee's.'' bb)
==========

====On this little group, yawl, any and all
posttopics/responses/stupidoneLiners like; SA's,BS's,IA's, DA's and
IED's ``should be appreciated``, surely yawl do? Dang..
(chuckleingAgain)   For instance, who would've thunk It'', that a dang
little 'ol ''Ping'' thread would amount to somethng, thanks to Jer. -See
what I'm saying. (BAGrin) MrJayTkana=

Jerry

Aug 17, 2008, 1:57:31 PM8/17/08

"Mr. JayT" <JayT...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Good response Bjay. Now go check at the base of the Valkyrie intake runners
and see if there is any discoloration. If there is, you need to replace the
o-rings.

Mr. JayT

Aug 18, 2008, 11:05:58 AM8/18/08
~> Jerry advises Bjay:''Good response Bjay. Now go check at the base

of the Valkyrie intake runners and see if there is any discoloration. If
there is, you need to replace the o-rings. (jerry)

~~~~~~~~~Will do, thanks for the tip.

Mr. JayT

Aug 19, 2008, 6:23:24 PM8/19/08
Jerry wrote: Bjay,go check at the base of the Valkyrie intake runners

and see if there is any discoloration. If there is, you need to replace
the o-rings. (jerry)

=====I've never had a motorscooter, that didnt have discoloration in
that area.
And....I've never had a truck, any make, that did not use some bit of
oil. All my odd little life I have heard old boys say, ''yeah, and it
aint never used uh' drop of oil.. ( a drop is an'awfully small amount of
oil).
Every truck I've had, used anywhere from1/4 to a quart of oil every
5,000 miles. hehehehhehe (just an anterdote to this ongoing good
thread. Keep it going! Ol'JayTFuss=

Jerry

Aug 19, 2008, 7:55:24 PM8/19/08

"Mr. JayT" <JayT...@webtv.net> wrote in message

If it is discolored, it is leaking.

Mr. JayT

Aug 20, 2008, 8:45:15 AM8/20/08
Jer, are we talking about the ''intake chromine ''header pipes area''
directly out of the exhausts? JayT=

Jerry

Aug 20, 2008, 9:45:18 AM8/20/08

> Jer, are we talking about the ''intake chromine ''header pipes area''
> directly out of the exhausts? JayT=

No, the intakes are what gives fuel to the engine. They are between the
carburetors and the heads. Look for discoloration around the bottom of them
on the head. It will look like dried gasoline. Kinda.

Anonymous

Aug 20, 2008, 1:53:37 PM8/20/08

"Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote in message

I've got a lot of exhaust popping(mini-backfire?).

It occurs at low speeds just about anywhere north
of 1.8K rpm. In fact, I can just hold the stationary
bike at 2.0K rpm, and I get the popping.

It doesn't seem to occur on the street where I am
operating in top gear. The rpm's might be the same,
but I don't sense the popping. Maybe, I just can't
hear it because of helmet restriction(s).

Another clue: returning to the stationary bike des-
cription at 2.0K rpm. I can pull on some choke
and the popping will stop. Maybe Honda just
jetted the thing too lean?

I do also have the varnish(aka dried gasoline)
deposits at the base of some manifolds.

I figured this was probably due to a deterioration
of whatever sealant is used between the head and
manifold, probably a recessed o-ring. Like a lot of
other rubber-type parts, I also suspect this could be
directly related to the constant supply of E10.

Comments/Ideas?

Jerry

Aug 20, 2008, 3:46:50 PM8/20/08

"Anonymous" <c...@com.com> wrote in message

The popping is because you are running too lean.

Because you choke it, you are riching it up which is a clue you are running
too lean.

If you still have the stock exhaust, it is most likely that the orings at
the base of the intakes are the only problem.

If it has not always popped, chances are that the pilot jets are ok and
don't need adjusting.

That dried gasoline means the orings have failed and need replaced, which
can make it run lean.

Go to a hydraulic parts house and ask for viton orings size 123. You need 6
and they are about .50 each.

After you replace all of them and not just one or 2, make sure you tighten
the clamps on the carburetors and top of the intake runners. They get loose
and leak air.

After you replace the orings and tighten all the clamps, if the popping
still happens, you most likely have a cracked vacuum hose as well that you
need to fix. If it is still going on after you change the vacuum hoses, you
need to sync and adjust your carburetors.

Having said all of that, it is an air leak that is causing the lean running
and popping unless of course you have the non stock exhaust. They will make
your bike run lean and lose about 6 horsepower to boot if it was not jetted
properly.

Hope this helps.

Mr. JayT

Aug 20, 2008, 5:29:41 PM8/20/08
~~>Jerry's more precise with Bjay:''No, the intakes are what gives fuel

to the engine. They are between the carburetors and the heads. Look for
discoloration around the bottom of them on the head. It will look like
dried gasoline. Kinda. (jer)

===Jer:''clean'' as a whistle. I'm talking about a Dixie Land Band
Whistle. <g> JayT=

Mr. JayT

Aug 20, 2008, 5:38:31 PM8/20/08
~~> Jerry said to 'annoymous: ''The popping is because you are running

too lean.
Because you choke it, you are riching it up which is a clue you are
running too lean.

======= is he talking about backfiring?
Mine does some, but not nearly like the Honda VTwins, with after Market
Pipes.
Talking about choking, I bet I havent choked mine, maybe 'twice during
the winter time''.. I have not ever had such a warm blooded Honda
Motorcycle. My two VTwins,and the V4 Magna, had to really be choked
often. so cold blooded, they were. <g> JayT-=-

Anonymous

Aug 20, 2008, 7:11:02 PM8/20/08

"Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote in message

Stock exhaust, 51.3(in my zipcode) miles.

Sounds easier to just ride it with the choke
on. - "Just kidding" ....

Thanks for the comment(s). My money is on
the manifold o-rings. The bike was tuned at
~47K, and I seem to recall mention of a
split hose. But, it was popping then, and
should have been corrected at that service.

I don't think there's any hose leaks, or maybe
I just am in denial because of the PITA quotient
involved. But, I had hose leakage before, and
I can usually detect that(audibly).

Thanks again.

louie

Aug 20, 2008, 8:59:58 PM8/20/08

"Anonymous" <c...@com.com> wrote in message

I like the dried gasoline idea. Pipelines worry me.

...louie

Anonymous

Aug 21, 2008, 1:13:06 AM8/21/08

"Anonymous" <c...@com.com> wrote in message news:...

> "Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote in message

I've not yet found a hydraulic parts retailer, that
features the Viton product(s).

However, I was wondering, does your notation
of o-ring #123 correspond to this chart @ #123?
http://www.allorings.com/size_cross_reference_framed.htm

or...
http://www.marcorubber.com/sizingchart.htm

I never really knew o-rings could be so complicated.

I'll prefer to find a retailer locally. Where I can make
a comparison between old and new. But, I could
order online if necessary, and I have the specific
size details.

Jerry

Aug 21, 2008, 7:42:27 AM8/21/08

"Anonymous" <c...@com.com> wrote in message

don't know about your chart, but put this in Google (hydraulic supplies
Dallas) and start calling. ask for viton 123 size oring. they will know what
you are talking about. Took me 2 calls to find them in Houston. First call
was to a supply house where they referred me to another that carried viton
products. I am not sure, but I think this is where I thing I got them.
http://www.hydraquip.com/contact_us.html#houston

Mr. JayT

Aug 21, 2008, 10:06:53 AM8/21/08
''Annoymuss'' was talking to Jerry about Valks and 0Ringers'' I figured

-----And old HighJacking Louie said this???
‘‘I like the dried gasoline idea. Pipelines worry me.
..louie’’.

===MrJayT...........laffed.....

Anonymous

Aug 21, 2008, 12:45:59 PM8/21/08

"Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote in message

After I wrote that, I found some sites referencing retailers locally,
here. I emailed:
http://www.elderrubber.com/orings.htm
last night, explaining all the details. I've not yet received a reply.

If I've not heard in a couple of days, I'll call. I also have a few
others identified locally. I also may elect online order, depending
on telephone confidence.

Thanks, for the reply, again.

Jerry

Aug 21, 2008, 2:20:27 PM8/21/08

"Anonymous" <c...@com.com> wrote in message

They are only 50 cents each.

louie

Aug 21, 2008, 7:55:20 PM8/21/08

"Mr. JayT" <JayT...@webtv.net> wrote in message

===MrJayT...........laffed.....

So you don't like the way that freeze dried coffee works? If we can, and
appartently we can, dried gas; I can transport a very large volume without
placards.

On a side note: of the Valk riders who post here, ain't no one going to do
a thing but twist the throttle, but Jerry. He's gonna work on them. He has
no friends or anyone to ride with.

When I had my Valk didn't no grass grow, or gas dry out on it. I kept it
burning. I am a Valk expert btw.

...louie

Jerry

Aug 21, 2008, 10:19:55 PM8/21/08

"louie" <lou...@swbell.net> wrote in message

Speaking of which, Honda ordered the wrong fuel line and now it will be next
week before I can begin to put it together since I can't put the air box or
gas tank and adjust the carburetors before I put the fuel lines on. Also
when I took the timing plate off, the clocking pin in it disintegrated and
had to order another one of those, so the timing belts are not done either.
It is age that is getting the parts, not necessarily miles. I wish I had
some friends.

Pender

Aug 22, 2008, 12:32:13 AM8/22/08

"Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote in message
I am Jerry's friend.

He is shiftless. He is a Mexican loving backstabbing ne'r do well, but I am
his friend. At least he still has a Valk, louie, that is more than you and
I can say.

I might ride with him if he had a motor.

He once accused me being a Canadia spy, so I still owe him an ass whuppin.

Is anybody riding Saturday?

Pender

I am going to call you tomorrow Geraldo.
Yo qiero albondigas.

louie

Aug 22, 2008, 5:23:35 AM8/22/08

"Pender" <whatisthe...@kenneth.net> wrote in message

I'll be riding Wolverines along the 56 1/2" one laner, occassionally driving
steel.

See you there?

Big Ed has pics of a nice motel, and a bus ticket for Jerry

..louie

Jerry

Aug 22, 2008, 7:09:10 AM8/22/08

"louie" <lou...@swbell.net> wrote in message

Just kick me when I am down. Yes, I know I moved the cams when the belts
were off and the timing mark had spun without regard to crank position and I
have no way to determine timing at this time, but I am not worried, Obama
will save me. Who has the return ticket?

Jerry

Aug 22, 2008, 7:14:02 AM8/22/08

"Pender" <whatisthe...@kenneth.net> wrote in message

You are my bestest friend Pender.

Yes, I am all those things and more.

You are just upset because I outed you. You must move on. Eh?

I can't ride Saturday so I will weld on my gas tanks maybe.

I fixed my phone so I can hear you now when you call.

My albondiagas are big and tasty.

bj_...@yahoo.com

Aug 22, 2008, 10:01:57 AM8/22/08
On 21 Aug, 18:55, "louie" <lou...@swbell.net> wrote:
> "Mr. JayT" <JayTk...@webtv.net> wrote in message

======Now Louwe'gee, that is good...''that's what I'm talking
about''. Good response, right on content.
Oh yeah, you are an expert. You rode yours like ''working on the
RR'',kept the F6-furnace hot, any gas spillage would be nothing but a
slight drift of white, clean smoke.
Yes,we other Valkers, ''r.i.d.e.'' ! <<g>>
dont have no time to be braking em flat down, and wiping on the parts,
and installing 50 cent rings, gotta be aware of the grass, you
mentioned. <g>
Footnote:(I have to be honest here, and admit that after reReading
your previous SA oneliner, I see now that it was pretty much on topic,
sorry about that, I guess I was experiencing a senior sumtimers
moment!
Louie, I'm sure I was the only one, not counting Lonestar'ving; who
didnt get it.
I guess LS is not allowed to come on here anymore!!!!--0-well) have
a good Fri-Day. I'll hit one for you, today. MrJayT=

bj_...@yahoo.com

Aug 22, 2008, 10:04:29 AM8/22/08
On 22 Aug, 06:14, "Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote:
> "Pender" <whatisthefreque...@kenneth.net> wrote in message

> > "Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote in message
>
> >> "louie" <lou...@swbell.net> wrote in message

> My albondiagas are big and tasty.- Hide quoted text -

=my condolences. <g> JT.

Anonymous

Aug 22, 2008, 2:17:57 PM8/22/08

I have found the specific rings at :
http://www.hddistributors.com/

It's only about ~10 miles from me, and the rings
are ~$.56 each. I have to juice the order require-
ment to satisfy their $10 minimum.

If any of the few Valk owners here send me a
SASE, I'll return 6 rings for your bike. Until I
exhaust my inventory.

I'll be getting the rings early next week, after I've
removed a manifold to insure the fit.

Thanks.

"Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote in message

bj_...@yahoo.com

Aug 22, 2008, 5:13:10 PM8/22/08

> >> After I wrote that, I found some sites referencing retailers locally,
> >> here. I emailed:
> >>http://www.elderrubber.com/orings.htm
> >> last night, explaining all the details. I've not yet received a reply.
>
> >> If I've not heard in a couple of days, I'll call. I also have a few
> >> others identified locally. I also may elect online order, depending
> >> on telephone confidence.
>
> >> Thanks, for the reply, again.
>
> > They are only 50 cents each.- Hide quoted text -

==so you had the same discolorational evidence, on yours.(?) I guess
mine just doesnt have enough miles to develop the leaks in question..
JayT-

Anonymous

Aug 22, 2008, 5:58:58 PM8/22/08

<bj_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Mine began showing seepage on selected manifold(s), probably
around 45K. But, I would suspect it advances/declines based on
ones riding habits, where the rings could deteriorate faster.
(high engine heat, corrosive fuel.

I recall a guy up at Keller's, starting up a Valk conversation with
me about a year ago. He was talking about these rings, and had
offered to send some my way. I wasn't having any problems at
that time, and simply passed.

Ed Hart

Aug 23, 2008, 12:16:51 PM8/23/08
FUCKIN' CODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Ed Hart
All My Imaginary Friends Are Gone.

"Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote in message

Mr. JayT

Aug 25, 2008, 2:04:26 PM8/25/08
Jerry responds to Louies stuff: ''It is age that is getting the parts,
not necessarily miles. I wish I had some friends. Jerry)

==is yours older than mine? Mines an 02
I dont consider mine old atall,,huh. 'course riding them, keeps'm
limber.....heheh
MtJayT=

louie

Aug 25, 2008, 6:06:19 PM8/25/08

"Mr. JayT" <JayT...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Keep it clean BJay.

..louie

Jerry

Aug 25, 2008, 6:25:14 PM8/25/08

"louie" <lou...@swbell.net> wrote in message

He is just asking for it.

louie

Aug 25, 2008, 6:42:21 PM8/25/08

"Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote in message

It's known his is the oldest, with very low miles. As opportunities dwindle,
it's doubtful it'll ever be what you call high mileage.

...louie

Pender

Aug 25, 2008, 11:37:20 PM8/25/08

"louie" <lou...@swbell.net> wrote in message

lots of times the old parts fail despite the level of their use.

BJay trusts his in a pinch.
Jerry you keep pulling yours apart and playing with em and then showing them
to others who talk about em.

Seems both of you are hoping to get one more ride in before it is too late.

Jerry

Aug 26, 2008, 2:54:32 AM8/26/08

"Pender" <whatisthe...@kenneth.net> wrote in message

I plan on going cross country soon.

Pender

Aug 26, 2008, 5:37:49 AM8/26/08

"Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote in message

Put me in coach.

Pender

Mr. JayT

Aug 26, 2008, 7:42:01 PM8/26/08

It's known his is the oldest, with very low miles. As opportunities
dwindle, it's doubtful it'll ever be what you call high mileage.

..louie

==I thought his was pretty old, and it looks it. I bet it'll need some
''cosmetic goings over'', (hope he labeled all them boxes) when he gets
it back together and lines it up, before Christmas!! chuckling and
chuckling.....JayT=

BiffB

Aug 26, 2008, 9:14:16 PM8/26/08
I have no idea who you people are talking about any more, but if it's
old, and he still can put it in multiple boxes, I say rock on, brother!

Harold Gailey

Aug 26, 2008, 9:51:12 PM8/26/08

"Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote in message >
> I plan on going cross country soon.

That's most fun when you have lots of time and money. I did it twice in the
70's Houston to New England and Canada when I had lots of time but not much
money on a CB450 and a Z1. Now I have neither the time nor the money but I
do have a couple bikes that would be more comfortable, I think.

--
74 CB 450 - STOLEN; 74 Z1 900 - TRADED; 76 FX 1200 - STOLEN; 78 FX(E) 86 CI
DAILY RIDER NICE WEATHER; 02 FXDX 88 CI DAILY RIDER OTHER WEATHER

Jerry

Aug 27, 2008, 9:47:34 AM8/27/08

"Harold Gailey" <hga...@comcast.net> wrote in message

In the 70's, I knew a fellow that rode a rat 750 Honda all over the country.
Camping and taking his time.

Jerry

Aug 27, 2008, 9:48:55 AM8/27/08

"BiffB" <us...@invalid.domain> wrote in message

finally some sanity is brought back to this thread.

Mr. JayT

Aug 27, 2008, 3:37:31 PM8/27/08
>>Harold Gailey)
(Harold Gailey)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Jayt...@webtv.net wrote)
===Hey Harold Gailey, where you been? Uh'Working I suspect, and riding
to work..''rain or shine'', on that old Shovel,eh,eh?
--Harold I wish you'd come on ''here'' ,more often than ''semi annual''
<grin> You're a good'ol' boy!
I rode a CB450 all over arkansas, and we camped out all along the way.
Then I got me 'a '650Yam, and we rode to Tennessee, all up in that area,
no windshields in them days.
Finally graduated to a 75GL1000 plain ass Honda; 'rode it with 2 guys on
Z1-900's.....cross country westard.
I put a plain little ol' windshield on that GL, first dern 'windshield I
'ever had.. Mr.JayT. =

Harold Gailey

Aug 27, 2008, 10:33:35 PM8/27/08

> "Harold Gailey" <hga...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jerry" <je...@mightyvalk.com> wrote in message >
>>> I plan on going cross country soon.
>>
>> That's most fun when you have lots of time and money. I did it twice in
>> the 70's Houston to New England and Canada when I had lots of time but
>> not much money on a CB450 and a Z1. Now I have neither the time nor the
>> money but I do have a couple bikes that would be more comfortable, I
>> think.
>>

> In the 70's, I knew a fellow that rode a rat 750 Honda all over the

> country. Camping and taking his time.

I did the camping deal on the way up and back but stayed with relatives once
I got there. One overnight stop was on a major tollroad rest stop (in Penn
think). The ground was a little wet and I didn't want to try and set up my
tent
in the dark so I threw my sleeping bag on a picnic table. In the morning I
was
awoken by the buzz of a gazillion yellow jackets. There was a trash barrel
real
close to the table and the bees were having a banquet. Scaredthe hell out of
me
but I never got stung.