Laser Pointers and Kids

TX PYRO

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98

I thought I'd share a couple of experiences with you. I writing this
because I want to bring this to the attention to those out there who
might not have given laser pointers much thought.

Today I was in an office supply store. At the counter where I was
checking out , there is also a display case were the pen & pencil sets
are kept. A lady and her son asked to see a key chain laser pointer.
While I was paying and the salesperson was retrieving one from a storage
room, I asked her if she was buying it for her son. She replied,
"Yes." I said," You might want to tell your son to be careful where he
points the laser and be sure he knows it is not smart to point it at
people. Some people may even 'draw down on him'." She asked what I
meant when I said 'draw down on him'. I responded that some people get
scared if they see a laser dot on them. They may, respond with a gun and
take action if they believe that their life is threatened. I finished
by saying, "I just don't want the kid to get hurt if he starts pointing
it at people."

By that time I was through paying and picking up my bag to leave.
The man behind me states, "That's why we shouldn't allow people to carry
guns around!" I responded in a firm, but not loud voice, "No, I think
people should be able to carry a gun if they act responsibly. It's kids
playing with laser pointers that need to be disciplined. I'm just
letting this lady know that a laser is not always considered harmless
when pointed at someone. Especially if it is dark and the person cannot
tell whether it is attached to a gun." Then the lady surprised me by
quickly putting in, "He (me) is right. Boys should not be pointing
lasers at people. That's the problem." The man looked at the lady for a
second, then at me. I said," I carry and I've had over forty hours of
training. I wouldn't shoot if I couldn't identify my target, but I
would take some sort of action." I repeated, "I just don't want the kid
to get hurt." I turned and walked out.

The whole conversation never got loud and did not included personal
verbal attacks. The boy looked only about eight or nine, and at that
age he probably doesn't realize how much trouble he could get in. Both
he and his mother looked like nice upper middle class people. So did
the man. I probably would not have said anything had it not been for a

A few weeks earlier, I was illuminated while driving on city streets
and had gotten more than a little concerned about it when it happened.
To be perfectly honest, my heart skipped a beat, then went promptly to
warp speed. My car didn't accelerate quite as fast, but did a good job
for only being a six cylinder. At the first place I could turn left and
not cause a traffic accident, I did a nice imitation of a Lotus. As it
was put in the movie Pretty Woman, 'cornering like it was on rails.'
I'm almost positive the source was a vehicle in the right lane, behind
me.

BTW, I'm 25, attend a university with plans for a career in the medical
field, and I have an Oklahoma CCW license.

- --

TX PYRO

Change "FLUSH" to "FLASH" in email address.

Fight SPAM and stay away from the canned stuff also.