Perry and GOP screw vets...

Spike

Jul 23, 2003, 4:18:46 PM7/23/03
July 22, 2003

GOP BETRAYS VETERANS AND MILITARY FAMILIES

AUSTIN - From Governor Perry withholding job training funds for Texas
veterans to Republicans in Congress slashing veterans' health care
nationwide, the Republican Party has launched an all-out assault on
our nation's veterans and military families, said Texas Democratic
Party Chairwoman Molly Beth Malcolm.

"Republicans love to use our troops as backdrops for campaign
commercials, but the GOP betrays them when it comes to funding
programs for veterans and military families," said Chairwoman Malcolm.
"When our soldiers finally return home, they will come back to a
nation providing them and their families with fewer benefits, less pay
and worse health care."

DENYING JOB TRAINING
* Governor Perry cut $300,000 job training funds from the G.I. Forum
in retaliation for the veterans organization's opposition to
congressional redistricting. Without the money, the National
Veterans Outreach Program, an arm of American GI Forum, may have
to close offices in Austin, Dallas and Fort Worth.

DENYING BENEFITS
* Gov. Perry vetoed legislation that would have enforced state law
that grants veterans employment preferences for jobs with state
entities (HB 76).

DENYING HEALTH CARE
* RAISING PRESCRIPTION DRUG PRICES FOR VETERANS: House Republicans
this week passed a White House proposal to charge veterans
enrollment fees of $250 a year and double the amount they now pay
for prescription drugs.
* UNDERFUNDING VETERANS MEDICAL CARE: According to a letter sent to
the President by the major veterans groups, Bush's 2003 budget
"falls $1.5 billion short" of adequately funding veterans care.

ABANDONING MILITARY FAMILIES
* MASSIVE CUTS TO MILITARY FAMILY HOUSING: Bush's 2004 budget
proposes $1.5 billion in cuts to military family housing.
* MASSIVE CUTS TO SCHOOLS FOR MILITARY KIDS: President Bush's 2004
budget proposes to cut $200 million out of Impact Aid - the
program that funds schools near military bases.
* IGNORING TAX RELIEF FOR SOLDIERS: According to the Washington
Post, Bush's signature on the latest tax cut failed to extend a
child tax credit to nearly 200,000 low-income military personnel.
[Source:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2153-2003Jun16.html
]
* REDUCING PAY TO SOLDIERS IN HARMS WAY: According to the Army
Times, "the administration announced that on Oct. 1 it wants to
roll back recent modest increases in monthly imminent-danger pay
(from $225 to $150) and family-separation allowance (from $250 to
$100) for troops getting shot at in combat zones."

"Suppose you were a heartless bastard, and suppose you were a Republican
... but I repeat myself."
- Mark Twain

--
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and
hence clamorous to be lead to safety) by menacing it with an endless

Don, what do you and Dick think about doing that Mencken thing?
-G.W. Bush

Sam A. Kersh

Jul 23, 2003, 4:32:12 PM7/23/03
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:18:46 GMT, Spike <punk...@austin.rr.com>
wrote:

>July 22, 2003
>
> GOP BETRAYS VETERANS AND MILITARY FAMILIES

> * Governor Perry cut $300,000 job training funds from the G.I. Forum
> in retaliation for opposition to congressional redistricting.

Translation: During a tight budget year, Gov Perry cut $300k from a
program designed to by votes for Democrats.....

Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
L.E.A.A. Life Member
TSRA Life Member
GOA, JPFO, SAF
http://www.flash.net/~csmkersh/
Body count math: three guerrillas plus one probable plus
two pigs equals 37 enemy KIAs.

McGarvey's Laws of Combat Operations

Greylock

Jul 23, 2003, 6:24:42 PM7/23/03
Absolutely correct, Sam.

And just exactly what business does a "Veterans Organization" have in taking
a stance on congressional redistricting?

"Sam A. Kersh" <sam.a...@us.army.mil> wrote in message

Sam A. Kersh

Jul 23, 2003, 6:33:19 PM7/23/03
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:24:42 GMT, "Greylock" <vin...@hal-pc.org>
wrote:

>Absolutely correct, Sam.
>
>And just exactly what business does a "Veterans Organization" have in taking
>a stance on congressional redistricting?

This particular organization is a Democrat and Hispanic stronhold.
many places in South Texas, they are raised to pull only la palanca,
the one lever. Straight party, no matter how crooked some of the Ds
might be. Verdad, Maurice?

JerryMouse

Jul 23, 2003, 7:17:14 PM7/23/03
Sam A. Kersh wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:18:46 GMT, Spike <punk...@austin.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>> July 22, 2003
>>
>> GOP BETRAYS VETERANS AND MILITARY FAMILIES
>
>> * Governor Perry cut $300,000 job training funds from the G.I.
>> Forum in retaliation for opposition to congressional
>> redistricting.
>
> Translation: During a tight budget year, Gov Perry cut $300k from a
> program designed to by votes for Democrats.....

Not only did the Democrat Charwoman (sic) lie about that, she made a few
more asinie remarks:

DENYING JOB TRAINING

* Governor Perry cut $300,000 job training funds from the G.I. Forum

in retaliation for the veterans organization's opposition to
congressional redistricting. Without the money, the National
Veterans Outreach Program, an arm of American GI Forum, may have
to close offices in Austin, Dallas and Fort Worth.

==>People JOIN the military to get job training.

ABANDONING MILITARY FAMILIES
* MASSIVE CUTS TO MILITARY FAMILY HOUSING: Bush's 2004 budget
proposes $1.5 billion in cuts to military family housing.

==> Flagrant lie. Bush has proposed INCREASING the military housing budget
every year.

* MASSIVE CUTS TO SCHOOLS FOR MILITARY KIDS: President Bush's 2004
budget proposes to cut $200 million out of Impact Aid - the
program that funds schools near military bases.

==> About time. Military bases pour millions into a local economy. The bases
also add some kids to the local school system.

* IGNORING TAX RELIEF FOR SOLDIERS: According to the Washington
Post, Bush's signature on the latest tax cut failed to extend a
child tax credit to nearly 200,000 low-income military personnel.

==> If you don't pay taxes, you don't get a tax cut. There are a lot of
people who didn't get a tax cut: millions of felons locked up in prisons,
for example.

Kevin Craig

Jul 24, 2003, 12:41:28 AM7/24/03
In article <MPG.1988aace1...@news-server.austin.rr.com>,
Spike <punk...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> the Republican Party has launched an all-out assault on
> our nation's veterans and military families, said Texas Democratic
> Party Chairwoman Molly Beth Malcolm.

Now there's a credible source.

Never mistake press releases for the free press.

Kevin

Stephan Rothstein

Jul 24, 2003, 5:08:04 AM7/24/03
Sam A. Kersh wrote:

> This particular organization is a Democrat and Hispanic stronhold.
> many places in South Texas, they are raised to pull only la palanca,
> the one lever. Straight party, no matter how crooked some of the Ds
> might be. Verdad, Maurice?

Hey Sam, isn't that "no matter how honest a few of the Dems might be"? I
thought you always went with the minority grouping in statements like that.

Steve Rothstein

Sam A. Kersh

Jul 24, 2003, 10:00:14 AM7/24/03

It would really be funny if you weren't right on the mark. 8-(

I should have left it generic rather than picking on just the Ds. And,
considering my last city council, the honest one would definitely been the
minority number. It appears that the Mayor himself ducked the bribery
charge by giving back $18,000 he had previously accepted.