Twitter's mobile oauth page waits 10 seconds before redirecting

Russell Davis

Dec 31, 2010, 1:25:49 AM12/31/10
to Twitter Development Talk
The regular oauth page does a standard 302 redirect which happens
immediately. For some reason, the mobile version instead uses a meta
tag to the redirect, and it specifies a delay of 10 seconds. I can't
be the only one who thinks this is a horrible user experience. Why the
delay? Is there any way to change it?

Thanks,
Russell

davew

Dec 31, 2010, 5:49:42 PM12/31/10
to Twitter Development Talk
I completely agree - it's a horrible user experience. When the rest of
the app is super fast a sudden 10 second delay feels like the app has
crashed.

Bess

Jan 4, 2011, 2:18:00 AM1/4/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Rusell,

Can you share how you confirm the mobile version use meta tag instead
of standard 302?

Is this something you could test on web browser?

On Dec 30 2010, 10:25 pm, Russell Davis <russell.da...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Message has been deleted

Bess

Jan 4, 2011, 2:59:38 PM1/4/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Rusell,

Can you use tricks to alter Android browser meta tag on Android
Emulator? such as reducing the redirect time to see performance
differences?

What is the main reason why Twitter can't use the same standard 302
redirect on the mobile browser?

Matt Harris

Jan 4, 2011, 5:25:36 PM1/4/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
10 seconds does seem like a long time for this to be paused. I'm checking with the team why this value was chosen.

Best
@themattharris
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/themattharris

Change your membership to this group: http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk

Bess

Jan 4, 2011, 6:50:17 PM1/4/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi Matt,

Could you also check why the standard 302 redirect not being used on
mobile browser?

I am guessing the 10 sec is just a rough guideline most web browser
vendors use to redirect if there is an error in displaying content.
Usu the workaround hack mobile developers use is to continue to check
status using a timer until Oauth is completed. This hack is on device
app, not server-side.

On Jan 4, 2:25 pm, Matt Harris <thematthar...@twitter.com> wrote:
> 10 seconds does seem like a long time for this to be paused. I'm checking
> with the team why this value was chosen.
>
> Best
> @themattharris
> Developer Advocate, Twitterhttp://twitter.com/themattharris

Matt Harris

Jan 4, 2011, 6:56:48 PM1/4/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
302 is a redirect of a URL. We're not redirecting the URL https://api.twitter.com/oauth/authorize, we're redirecting from https://api.twitter.com/oauth/authorize to the callback URL.

Using the 302 code would mean we are telling browsers that https://api.twitter.com/oauth/authorize is actually callback URL - which is not correct.

Hope that answers your question,
Matt

Russell Davis

Jan 11, 2011, 8:27:06 PM1/11/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Any update on this? It should be really easy to change that 10 to a 0. Meanwhile, hoards of users are needlessly waiting for 10 seconds every time they log in. :)

Thanks,
Russell