OAuth rate limit question

Ben Novakovic

Mar 3, 2010, 1:48:38 AM3/3/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi,

I have been reading about twitter api limits lately as a lot of my
users are exhausting their 150reqs/h on a fairly regular basis. I came
across the following post and noticed that if users login with OAuth,
they are given 350 reqs/hr.

http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/msg/b09f2a3324728d89?pli=1

This was fair enough as you guys are trying to make twitter more
secure (good work!); so we set about implementing OAuth on our client.
We completed the implementation today, but fail to see the 350 reqs/
hr. We are still being limited by the 150 reqs/hr. I was just
wondering whether there was something special we needed to do to get
our req limits up to 350 for those users who login to our client with
OAuth.

Just to give you some background info, the client is a mobile web
based client and all requests to twitter are made on our server on
behalf of our users. If they are logged in with OAuth, the appropriate
OAuth details are also handed through as part of the request.

We know they are using OAuth as our 'updated via xxx' changes with
using OAuth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Ben

Raffi Krikorian

Mar 3, 2010, 2:26:08 AM3/3/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
are you connecting via oauth to api.twitter.com?  if so, then please take a look at the rate limit headers and let me know what you see?
--
Raffi Krikorian
Twitter Platform Team

Ben Novakovic

Mar 3, 2010, 2:40:55 AM3/3/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Awesome! thanks very much!

We were still using twitter.com rather than the new api.twitter.com

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Ben

On Mar 3, 5:26 pm, Raffi Krikorian <ra...@twitter.com> wrote:
> are you connecting via oauth to api.twitter.com?  if so, then please take a
> look at the rate limit headers and let me know what you see?
>

> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Ben Novakovic <bennovako...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > I have been reading about twitter api limits lately as a lot of my
> > users are exhausting their 150reqs/h on a fairly regular basis. I came
> > across the following post and noticed that if users login with OAuth,
> > they are given 350 reqs/hr.
>

> >http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/msg/b09f2a332...

Nik Fletcher

Mar 3, 2010, 5:56:26 AM3/3/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Hey Raffi

So, would Twitter prefer that clients use the headers instead of
relying on the (now misleading) account/rate_limit_status method to
verify the rate limit?

http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-REST-API-Method:-account%C2%A0rate_limit_status

As, even with Oauth-signed requests, this method is still returning
150 per hour.

Thanks!

Nik

On Mar 3, 7:26 am, Raffi Krikorian <ra...@twitter.com> wrote:
> are you connecting via oauth to api.twitter.com?  if so, then please take a
> look at the rate limit headers and let me know what you see?
>

> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Ben Novakovic <bennovako...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > I have been reading about twitter api limits lately as a lot of my
> > users are exhausting their 150reqs/h on a fairly regular basis. I came
> > across the following post and noticed that if users login with OAuth,
> > they are given 350 reqs/hr.
>

> >http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/msg/b09f2a332...

Raffi Krikorian

Mar 3, 2010, 8:57:53 AM3/3/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com, Twitter Development Talk
Well - it seems to me that rate limit status may have an issue with
it. We will have to take a look.

Ryan Alford

Mar 3, 2010, 9:02:04 AM3/3/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Just to add, I also get the 150 rate limit when using the account/rate_limit_status method.  I am using OAuth and api.twitter.com.

Ryan

Nik Fletcher

Mar 4, 2010, 5:42:43 AM3/4/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi Raffi

I've filed the issue on Google Code so that folks can keep in the loop
about this:

http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=1501

Let me know if you need any further information!

Cheers

-N