403 on statuses longer than 140 characters

Dewald Pretorius

Mar 18, 2010, 2:57:41 PM3/18/10
to Twitter Development Talk
In the announcement, Mark said, "...in the case that a long status can
be reduced to under 140 characters by shortening URLs. In this case
we return a 403 but successfully create the status."

Any chance that you can instead return a 200?

Returning a 403 while you actually created the status will cause
confusion.

Mark McBride

Mar 18, 2010, 3:30:48 PM3/18/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I should clarify.  Returning a 403 is what we do right now.  Later today (hopefully) we will correct the behavior to return a 200 in this case.  So short story: we'll be doing what you want us to do.

Andy Freeman

Mar 19, 2010, 1:03:31 AM3/19/10
to Twitter Development Talk
What in the return JSON tells us that you've shortened?

For example, are you setting/returning "truncate"? Are you returning
the shortened tweet in "status"?

On Mar 18, 12:30 pm, Mark McBride <mmcbr...@twitter.com> wrote:
> I should clarify.  Returning a 403 is what we do right now.  Later today
> (hopefully) we will correct the behavior to return a 200 in this case.  So
> short story: we'll be doing what you want us to do.
>
>   ---Mark
>
> http://twitter.com/mccv
>
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Dewald Pretorius

> <dewaldpub...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > In the announcement, Mark said, "...in the case that a long status can
> > be reduced to under 140 characters by shortening URLs.  In this case
> > we return a 403 but successfully create the status."
>
> > Any chance that you can instead return a 200?
>
> > Returning a 403 while you actually created the status will cause

> > confusion.- Hide quoted text -

Abraham Williams

Mar 19, 2010, 11:52:46 AM3/19/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
The URLs might be shortened not the text of the status itself.

Abraham

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to twitter-development-talk+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

--
Abraham Williams | Community Advocate | http://abrah.am
TwitterOAuth | http://github.com/abraham/twitteroauth

Mark McBride

Mar 19, 2010, 12:52:16 PM3/19/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Abraham is correct.  We only truncate text in the case of SMS tweets.  We won't chop text off of tweets when posted via the API, however we will shorten URLs if it will get the tweet to fit into 140 characters.

Andy Freeman

Mar 20, 2010, 2:08:58 AM3/20/10
to Twitter Development Talk
I don't suppose that the API documentation will be updated and made
complete....

> > ME" as the subject.- Hide quoted text -

Mark McBride

Mar 22, 2010, 1:27:40 PM3/22/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Complete is probably overly optimistic.  However for the case of when we return 403s on status updates and how you can tell why we did so the documentation is now more up to date.  Enjoy!