status/update in_reply_to_user_id not being acknowledged

Matthew

Oct 7, 2010, 4:37:04 PM10/7/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Hello,

Been working on a project that will allow users to reply to tweets. I
am having difficulty in getting the 'in_reply_to_message_id' to be
acknowledged. I have been using the latest version of Abraham's
TwitterOAuth library, also confirmed the problem through apigee.

Example request (over POST):
http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/update.json?in_reply_to_status_id=26673308442&status=looks
like its not working for apigee either

I can confirm the in_reply_to_status_id message is a message I posted
earlier.
http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/show/26673308442.json

I get a response back from twitter with field populated except with
"in_reply_to_status_id" : null.
Is there currently a glitch in the twitterapi, or am I using this
function improperly?

Thanks in advance!

Matthew

Oct 7, 2010, 4:40:58 PM10/7/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Opps I meant to mark the title as 'in_reply_to_status_id'.

On Oct 7, 1:37 pm, Matthew <matt.c.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Been working on a project that will allow users to reply to tweets. I
> am having difficulty in getting the 'in_reply_to_message_id' to be
> acknowledged. I have been using the latest version of Abraham's
> TwitterOAuth library, also confirmed the problem through apigee.
>
> Example request (over POST):http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/update.json?in_reply_to_status_id=2...
> like its not working for apigee either
>
> I can confirm the in_reply_to_status_id message is a message I posted
> earlier.http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/show/26673308442.json

Taylor Singletary

Oct 7, 2010, 4:42:04 PM10/7/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
With as often as this comes up, it's obvious that we aren't communicating this clearly and the historical aspect of this isn't obvious:

An @reply requires that it begins with the @username of the user being replied to. The in_reply_to_status_id field is not enough to associate the tweets as a reply -- the username must also be present.

Also: When using a POST method, don't include your fields/parameters on the query string. Instead, put them in the POST body. You may find someday that passing such parameters on the query string just stops working.

Taylor

Change your membership to this group: http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk

Matthew

Oct 7, 2010, 4:45:26 PM10/7/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Thanks Taylor, I appreciate it. I didnt see mention of that in the
http://developer.twitter.com/doc/post/statuses/update documentation.

-Matt

On Oct 7, 1:42 pm, Taylor Singletary <taylorsinglet...@twitter.com>
wrote:
> With as often as this comes up, it's obvious that we aren't communicating
> this clearly and the historical aspect of this isn't obvious:
>
> An @reply requires that it begins with the @username of the user being
> replied to. The in_reply_to_status_id field is not enough to associate the
> tweets as a reply -- the username must also be present.
>
> Also: When using a POST method, don't include your fields/parameters on the
> query string. Instead, put them in the POST body. You may find someday that
> passing such parameters on the query string just stops working.
>
> Taylor
>

> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Matthew <matt.c.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > Been working on a project that will allow users to reply to tweets. I
> > am having difficulty in getting the 'in_reply_to_message_id' to be
> > acknowledged. I have been using the latest version of Abraham's
> > TwitterOAuth library, also confirmed the problem through apigee.
>
> > Example request (over POST):
>
> >http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/update.json?in_reply_to_status_id=2...

Orian Marx (@orian)

Oct 8, 2010, 11:44:55 AM10/8/10
to Twitter Development Talk
When did this change to actually require starting the @reply with the
@username? HootSuite has long supported sending tweets in reply to
others without leading with the @username. Does this no longer work?

On Oct 7, 3:42 pm, Taylor Singletary <taylorsinglet...@twitter.com>
wrote:
> With as often as this comes up, it's obvious that we aren't communicating
> this clearly and the historical aspect of this isn't obvious:
>
> An @reply requires that it begins with the @username of the user being
> replied to. The in_reply_to_status_id field is not enough to associate the
> tweets as a reply -- the username must also be present.
>
> Also: When using a POST method, don't include your fields/parameters on the
> query string. Instead, put them in the POST body. You may find someday that
> passing such parameters on the query string just stops working.
>
> Taylor
>

> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Matthew <matt.c.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > Been working on a project that will allow users to reply to tweets. I
> > am having difficulty in getting the 'in_reply_to_message_id' to be
> > acknowledged. I have been using the latest version of Abraham's
> > TwitterOAuth library, also confirmed the problem through apigee.
>
> > Example request (over POST):
>
> >http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/update.json?in_reply_to_status_id=2...

Taylor Singletary

Oct 8, 2010, 12:07:04 PM10/8/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I've never known this to work, but I easily could be wrong. API won't do anything to stop you from doing this -- but it won't be considered an @reply. HootSuite very well could do some server-side association of the post since it is cognizant of the intent during creation -- but that seems far-fetched.

Taylor

Orian Marx (@orian)

Oct 13, 2010, 2:40:09 PM10/13/10
to Twitter Development Talk
It seems like a proper @reply does not require a leading @username.
Take this recent reply to me for example: http://twitter.com/#!/mikedizon/statuses/27265789132
(note the reply was created via twitter.com too).

On Oct 8, 12:07 pm, Taylor Singletary <taylorsinglet...@twitter.com>

Matt Harris

Oct 13, 2010, 3:28:04 PM10/13/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Looking into this it shows this is a presentation issue on twitter.com
as these are mentions. To confirm this I checked the in_reply_to
fields in the API response. In these messages the in_reply_to fields
are null. This can also be seen when not in #newtwitter -
http://twitter.com/mikedizon does not report the tweet as a reply to
you.

I've let the webteam know about this heading causing confusion.

---
@themattharris
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/themattharris

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Orian Marx (@orian)

Abraham Williams

Oct 13, 2010, 5:39:05 PM10/13/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
The in_reply_to fields are set: http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/show/27265789132.json

I can confirm that the screen_name can be contained anywhere in the text for replies. It has been this way for as long as i can remember except in the #vintagetwitter web interface.

Here is another example where I replied to myself at the very end of the text.

https://twitter.com/#!/abraham/status/27035921296

Abraham
-------------
Abraham Williams | Hacker Advocate | http://abrah.am
Update: http://blog.abrah.am/2010/10/organizing-my-life.html
@abraham | http://projects.abrah.am | http://blog.abrah.am

@epc

Oct 13, 2010, 6:53:14 PM10/13/10
to Twitter Development Talk

When in_reply_to_status_id was originally added you could "reply" to a
tweet without including the @username in the tweet, and twitter would
accept that (and thread that) as a proper reply. On the one hand this
freed up a few additional characters for the reply, but also lead to
confusion since people were seeing replies which didn't include their
screen_name.

This behavior was later changed to require that the screen_name which
authored the tweet being replied to be mentioned in the reply (this
was around the time that replies became "mentions"). A tweet posted
with in_reply_to_status_id but without the related screen_name would
get posted, but the in_reply_to_status_id field would not get set.
--
-ed costello

Orian Marx (@orian)

Oct 13, 2010, 8:33:59 PM10/13/10
to Twitter Development Talk
The in_reply_to info is definitely set. It's showing up properly in
TweetDeck. However things are right now, I don't think they should be
touched.