Discussion on api-documentation

nichola...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2008, 4:33:25 PM3/5/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Question: can I assume the ID is always an integer? And is that
unsigned integer 32 or 64 bit? Also, replies() says you can specify
which page you want, but it doesn't give you an upper limit. Is there
an upper limit?

Alex Payne

Mar 5, 2008, 4:39:19 PM3/5/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the ID is always an unsigned 32-bit integer. The upper limit of
the replies method is based on how many replies you've received during
your period of Twitter usage.

--
Alex Payne
http://twitter.com/al3x

bige...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2008, 12:24:50 PM3/26/08
to Twitter Development Talk
The twitter API has tons of features, its pretty impressive, I was not
expecting so many options that could interface so beautifully with
programs.

Andreas S

Mar 30, 2008, 1:34:04 PM3/30/08
to Twitter Development Talk
You folks may want to document this, when you make an status update
request you need to make sure to set the header Content-Type:
application/x-www-form-urlencoded ,or twitter will give you a 200
response and not process your request.

Phillip Hallam-Baker

Apr 3, 2008, 9:31:12 AM4/3/08
to Twitter Development Talk
I am somewhat concerned about the use of HTTP Digest Authentication. I
developed that in 1993 when I was limited by the lack of an
unencumbered method of doing public key cryptography.

The key weakness of digest is that it allows an attack to do a brute
force attack.

Rather than moving to a new system of your own design I would very
strongly recommend that you use an existing standard such as OpenID,
SAML, Cardspace etc.

jeffre...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2008, 8:41:37 AM4/19/08
to Twitter Development Talk
The documentation for the "Show" method does not mention that it
requires authentication, but when I try to call it, it demands a
username/password. Why? Isn't this info available on any users
public web page anyway? Thanks

jeffre...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2008, 10:51:47 AM4/19/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Oops... missed a bit in the documentation.

Raymond Yee

Apr 29, 2008, 12:02:01 PM4/29/08
to Twitter Development Talk
According to http://www.sarver.org/2008/04/23/twitter-adds-profile-geolocation-api/:
"Today Twitter announced a very cool update to their APIs by adding
the ability to update the “location” property of your user profile.
It’s not documented yet (should be shortly) but the API is live and
you can already work with it."

I can confirm that the instructions on the blog post work for me.
Alex, will you update the twitter API documentation to reflect this
update or can anyone here go ahead with updating the document (and
hope to get it right)?

Thanks,
-Raymond Yee

http://blog.mashupguide.net (Author of *Pro Web 2.0 Mashups: Remixing
Data and Web Services*)

Alex Payne

Apr 29, 2008, 2:10:10 PM4/29/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I've got a batch of API improvements that I intend to release and
document today, and this is part of those changes.

--
Alex Payne
http://twitter.com/al3x

Dossy Shiobara

Apr 29, 2008, 2:15:12 PM4/29/08
On 2008.04.29, Alex Payne <al...@twitter.com> wrote:

> I've got a batch of API improvements that I intend to release and
> document today, and this is part of those changes.

Is being able to block users via the API one of those improvements?

:-)

--
Dossy Shiobara | do...@panoptic.com | http://dossy.org/
Panoptic Computer Network | http://panoptic.com/

Alex Payne

Apr 29, 2008, 2:16:27 PM4/29/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Sure is!

--
Alex Payne
http://twitter.com/al3x

Andrew Badera

Apr 29, 2008, 2:17:16 PM4/29/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com

Dossy Shiobara

Apr 29, 2008, 2:33:48 PM4/29/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Excuse me, I think I need some quiet, alone time.

*fapfapfap*

Tony Lawrence

May 9, 2008, 7:55:11 AM5/9/08
to Twitter Development Talk
I can get followers with http://twitter.com/statuses/followers.format

Sure would like to be able to get the same for following..

James

May 23, 2008, 9:28:44 AM5/23/08
to Twitter Development Talk
How do you fetch older statuses?
Any chance of a "page" or "before" parameter on user_timeline?

Jeffrey Barke

Jun 21, 2008, 3:21:44 PM6/21/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Note the URL in the #RateLimit named anchor returns a 404:
http://twitter.com/account/rate_limit_status

Kee Hinckley

Jun 21, 2008, 7:15:36 PM6/21/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Append the usual .json or .xml

---
iPhoned

On Jun 21, 2008, at 3:21 PM, Jeffrey Barke <mechan...@gmail.com>

Santiago Perez

Jun 26, 2008, 3:14:14 PM6/26/08
to Twitter Development Talk
I'm interested in accessing all statuses as they are created. I'm
currently trying to do so through the 'show' api by accessing them in
sequential order. In order to keep up with the statuses, I find myself
doing about 20 requests per second to the API, and I'm concerned
whether this could be a problem that could get me banned from
accessing the API.

At the same time, I would like to know if there's a better way to do
this. The best option for me would be something similar to
public_timeline but rather than retrieving the last 20 posts it would
allow me to choose a range of status ids or something, because the
public_timeline is to volatile and I always find myself loosing
statuses.

thanks
Santiago

Stut

Jun 26, 2008, 5:09:51 PM6/26/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Added caching info the the public timeline section.

Click on http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/web/api-documentation
- or copy & paste it into your browser's address bar if that doesn't
work.

Andrew Badera

Jun 26, 2008, 5:14:10 PM6/26/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Probably really not necessary to inform the list of wiki additions.

Mike Schinkel

Aug 5, 2008, 6:57:02 AM8/5/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Arrghh! Yet another stupid editing error. Sorry. 3rd time is a charm.

Mike Schinkel

Aug 5, 2008, 6:54:30 AM8/5/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Doh! Stupid search and replace error made on last change.

Mike Schinkel

Aug 5, 2008, 6:29:19 AM8/5/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Added note to clear up confusion between friendship and follow
including the error message that one gets when attempting to follow
before a friendship is created.
See http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/c897dea91fd6089e
for reference.

Andrew Badera

Aug 5, 2008, 12:04:53 PM8/5/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Please don't spam my inbox with pointless wiki updates, thanks in advance.

Mike Schinkel

Aug 6, 2008, 5:24:31 AM8/6/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Fixed a formatted error with the "Block Methods" where h2 was being
cancelled by other formatting

Andrew Badera

Aug 6, 2008, 10:11:50 AM8/6/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone on this list want to know what wiki updates Mike makes? If so, perhaps you could contact Mike and he could create mikeslist and stop bothering the rest of us with useless, self-congratulatory spam -- I mean FORMATTING!?!? Lame.

It's a simple matter of consideration -- please fluff your ego someplace that's not my inbox.

Ed Finkler

Aug 6, 2008, 10:19:53 AM8/6/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I am pretty sure that when a note is made on wiki changes, it's
automatically mailed to the list. I doubt Mike's intention is to show
off -- he's most likely just trying to be complete in his
documentation on changes.

I agree that it would be nice if there was a way to opt out of
receiving these kinds of changes. I would personally like to get notes
on *all* wiki updates, especially considering the spam vandalism it's
been subject to, but not everyone is going to be interested in that.

--
Ed Finkler
http://funkatron.com

Abraham Williams

Aug 6, 2008, 10:54:01 AM8/6/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
When you save a change on a page it asks you if you want to notify the list.

@Andrew: Mike may not be getting new messages from the list so you should cc him instead of assuming he is ignoring you.
--
| Abraham Williams | Web Developer | Lothlórien Coop | Madison WI
| http://abrah.am | http://web608.org | http://identi.ca/4braham
| This email is: [] blogable [x] ask first [] private

Alex Payne

Aug 7, 2008, 6:09:42 PM8/7/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Documented which HTTP methods are allowed for each API method.

Alex Payne

Aug 7, 2008, 6:20:43 PM8/7/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Documented new email headers.