shame

nath

Jun 15, 2008, 12:04:02 PM6/15/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Well, twitters always down or unusable due to the speed; the api's
keep breaking and are down just as often; the groups now packed full
of spam which is littering my inbox.

It's a real shame to see such a great app crumble and die like this :(

Cameron Kaiser

Jun 15, 2008, 12:26:45 PM6/15/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com

Plurk's over there. Bye.

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com
-- I must confess, I was born at a very early age. -- Groucho Marx ------------

Andy Bilodeau

Jun 15, 2008, 1:07:04 PM6/15/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hee hee.

Nice one!

--
Andy Bilodeau (andycaster)
http://andycast.net

Alex Payne

Jun 15, 2008, 5:29:35 PM6/15/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
We own Twitter's speed a stability; my our metrics, it's been pretty
solid over the last few days.

We do not, however, own spam prevention for this group. That's up to
Google, and if it's a hard problem for them, I'd imagine it'd be a
hard problem for anyone.

I go through and clear out spammy posts, but time they reach my inbox,
they've reached everyone else's as well. There's just not much I can
do about it. Please make use of Google's "report as spam" features.

--
Alex Payne
http://twitter.com/al3x

rlansky

Jun 16, 2008, 12:09:31 AM6/16/08
to Twitter Development Talk

Sorry, but I have to agree with the original author, it is a shame
that the service and the API are so unreliable. The potential for the
services that could be built on an API like the one offered by twitter
are endless. They really are.

Statements like this:

> my our metrics, it's been pretty solid over the last few days.

don't do much to boost my confidence. When you make an API available,
you are essentially saying to the world, "here's our service, come and
build something great on top of it." You can't build anything of any
real value or widespread use on something that "has been *pretty
solid* over the last couple days (emphasis mine) ." You just can't.
You need something that is rock solid all the time.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or bash twitter at all. Like I
said, I think it is a shame because the potential is so great. The
idea is great, the acceptance is great, the use is great, the
possibilities are awesome. But they just can't be fulfilled given the
reliability of the service as it is today; try to build something on
top of the API that will see wide-spread use and you'll find that when
you push the gas, the wheels fall off the car... at least that's been
my experience. It's been *extremely* frustrating and disappointing.

Peace.

Abraham Williams

Jun 16, 2008, 12:24:44 AM6/16/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Twitter could pull a Gmail and be in beta for a few more years.
--
| Abraham Williams | Web Developer | Lothlórien Coop | Madison WI
| http://abrah.am | http://web608.org | http://barcampmadison2.org
| This email is: [] blogable [x] ask first [] private

Julio Biason

Jun 16, 2008, 12:31:15 AM6/16/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Except that Twitter doesn't have Google to fund it while in beta ;)

I just think this whole discussion is pointless. I mean, as any other
Twitter developer around, I always get annoyed when twitter simply
doesn't work or return a badly formed JSON response (which give me no
clues on how to report properly to the users what's going on besides a
"Twitter is going bananas!"). But, on the other hand, it's a free
service, the API is open to developers and there is a good discussion
about it. And, if this is so bad, there always is Plurk, Jaiku (as
long a you get an invite) and Pownce (which is more feature complete,
although they seem to disclose their API just recently.)

Yes, Twitter may have a good potential, but they are the ones shooting
themselves in the foot. And I guess they are pretty aware of that (as
many of us are when we do some screw up on our client codes.)

Just my $0.02 in this "bike shed" discussion.

--
Julio Biason <julio....@gmail.com>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/juliobiason

Brett Morgan

Jun 16, 2008, 12:37:45 AM6/16/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

Let's be serious here for a minute. No server side programmer likes it
when his (or her) baby goes off line. We all fight tooth and nail to
keep these things alive. Berating alex for downtime really isn't doing
anything positive here, I'll bet he'll be beating up plenty on himself
already.

Give the team a break, please.

brett

--

Brett Morgan http://brett.morgan.googlepages.com/

Andrew Badera

Jun 16, 2008, 6:34:28 AM6/16/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. Yes, downtime sucks. Yes, instability sucks. But it's a free service, and clearly struggling with some issues. Compounding the stress and irritation of the dev team isn't going to help anyone. The uptime trend appears to, finally, be heading in a positive direction, have some patience.

Dossy Shiobara

Jun 16, 2008, 12:20:08 PM6/16/08
On 2008.06.15, Alex Payne <al...@twitter.com> wrote:

> We own Twitter's speed a stability; my our metrics, it's been pretty
> solid over the last few days.
>
> We do not, however, own spam prevention for this group. That's up to
> Google, and if it's a hard problem for them, I'd imagine it'd be a
> hard problem for anyone.
>
> I go through and clear out spammy posts, but time they reach my inbox,
> they've reached everyone else's as well. There's just not much I can
> do about it. Please make use of Google's "report as spam" features.

Set the group to "moderated for new members" - folks who join the group,
if their first few messages seem on-the-level, you turn the "moderated"
bit off. But, this stops hit-and-run spammers dead.

--
Dossy Shiobara | do...@panoptic.com | http://dossy.org/
Panoptic Computer Network | http://panoptic.com/