High number of 502 errors in REST API

Adam Green

Feb 3, 2011, 11:14:46 PM2/3/11
to Twitter Development Talk
I'm using 1/statuses/user_timeline to verify that I am receiving all
the tweets for a set of users I am following with the streaming API.
Once per day I try to collect all the tweets for these users using
this API call. The total process takes about 100 calls to the API. For
the last week I have been receiving a very high level of 502 error
high traffic related to Egypt, or is something else going on?

Jan Paricka

Feb 3, 2011, 11:34:13 PM2/3/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Adam, I noticed the same - 502 502 502 502 a lot lately!

Jan

Change your membership to this group: http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk

Taylor Singletary

Feb 3, 2011, 11:51:19 PM2/3/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
What kind of count values are you using? When we're at capacity,
higher count values' processing time can exceed our timeout filters. I
would recommend lowering count values as a response to this error and
retrying.

Taylor

--
@episod <http://twitter.com/episod> - Taylor Singletary - Twitter Developer
Advocate

Adam Green

Feb 4, 2011, 7:44:19 AM2/4/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Good suggestion, Taylor. I was using a count of 200 to reduce the
number of calls, and stay under the rate limit. I just tried a count
of 100 and had fewer errors. I need to backfill test from 32 accounts
with a total of 20,000 tweets. I will rewrite this to use a lower
count, perhaps 50, and then spread the testing out over the whole day,
instead of doing it in one run every 24 hours. Thanks.

--
Adam Green
Twitter API Consultant and Trainer