Twitter's iOS integration and what this means for developers

Jason Costa

Jun 6, 2011, 8:05:43 PM6/6/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Hey all,

There have been a lot of questions about what the iOS announcement
today means for developers. The integration points noted in Apple’s
keynote create huge opportunities for both Twitter and iOS
developers.

There is single sign-on, which allows you to retrieve a user's
identity, avatar, and other profile data. There's also a frictionless
core signing service, allowing you to make and sign any call to the
Twitter API. There is follow graph synchronization, which enables you
to bootstrap a user's social graph for your app. Furthermore, there is
the tweet sheet feature, giving your app distribution and reach across
Twitter. These key integration points and more will be available to
developers once the SDK goes live.

We’re holding the event this Wednesday night (6:30pm to 8:30pm) to
talk about these key integration points and more, and how you can use
these hooks in greater detail. If you have questions - this is a great
time to get them answered.

The agenda will include:

- Introduction by @rsarver
- iOS integration overview by @raffi
- Technical details of iOS integration by @sandofsky
- ABUIKit presentation from @atebits
- Q&A w/ @rsarver, @raffi, and @sandofsky
- "Tea Time" (social)

Please don’t forget to RSVP for the event: http://bit.ly/jBX5B6

--@jasoncosta

TJ Luoma

Jun 6, 2011, 8:17:55 PM6/6/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Jason Costa <jason...@twitter.com> wrote:
> There have been a lot of questions about what the iOS announcement
> today means for developers. The integration points noted in Apple’s
> keynote create huge opportunities for both Twitter and iOS
> developers.

The first question that everyone should be asking is: Will you hold
off the DM Oauth reauthorization requirement until iOS 5 is released,
so people don't have to go through it again and again and again for
each Twitter app?

And if not, why not? (Other than not giving a whit about 3rd party
Twitter client app developers, but being more interested in helping
developers of other apps integrate Twitter into their apps.)

TjL

BeeRich

Jun 6, 2011, 8:24:31 PM6/6/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Ya. Integrate the supertweet API.

Tom van der Woerdt

Jun 7, 2011, 4:24:32 AM6/7/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

I just took a few minutes to go over the new APIs and while I am, of
course, not going to break my NDA here, I can tell you this:
* Doesn't look like this was meant for the Twitter clients, but rather
the normal clients which provide a "Tweet" function.
* You can sign requests using this framework, but with a fixed set of
consumer credentials so that it will always say "with iOS" when sending
a tweet (source). Like I said, it's almost only for providing a "Tweet"
function.
* I like it!

Tom

On 6/7/11 2:17 AM, TJ Luoma wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Jason Costa<jason...@twitter.com> wrote:
>> There have been a lot of questions about what the iOS announcement

>> today means for developers. The integration points noted in Apple�s

cluo

Jun 7, 2011, 10:14:35 AM6/7/11
to Twitter Development Talk
Actually Twitter integration has already been done in Samsung bada
platform and all the APIs work very well. You just need to
authenticate once using the authenticator API provided by Samsung,
then you able to tweet and other operation like follow and DM etc. I
would assume the iOS 5 APIs will work the same. Anyway, looking
forward to get more infromation about Twitter iOS APIs.