moving the OAuth switch over date to august 16, 2010

Raffi Krikorian

Jun 17, 2010, 7:46:06 PM6/17/10
to twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com, twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
hi all.

as you've all probably noticed, with the world cup going on, twitter is experiencing record load. because of this, we're moving the oauth switchover date to august 16, 2010.

we want to make sure that you all have calm waters to test your new codebases where you're not dealing with whales, robots, and whatnot. with the world cup ending on july 11th, you will all have over a month's time of calm waters and site stability to finish the switch over.  also, with the vast majority of media providers already switched over to OAuth Echo, you now also have an additional month of time to work out your integrations with them.

just to review what we're going to be doing: starting on august 16 we'll be ramping down the rate limits on basic auth roughly by 10 calls/hour/day ending on august 31st.  on the 31st, you won't be allowed to make any other basic auth calls.  in other words, if you don't do anything, you'll get more and more frequent rate limit errors as you approach august 31st. starting on august 31st, any basic auth request will get a HTTP 403 response back.

as always, please reach out if there are any questions or concerns. for those who have already switched over, thanks!

--
Raffi Krikorian
Twitter Platform Team

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Jun 17, 2010, 10:04:45 PM6/17/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com, Raffi Krikorian, twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com, twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Quoting Raffi Krikorian <ra...@twitter.com>:

> just to review what we're going to be doing: starting on august 16 we'll be
> ramping down the rate limits on basic auth roughly by 10 calls/hour/day
> ending on august 31st. on the 31st, you won't be allowed to make any other
> basic auth calls. in other words, if you don't do anything, you'll get more
> and more frequent rate limit errors as you approach august 31st. starting on
> august 31st, any basic auth request will get a HTTP 403 response back.
>
> as always, please reach out if there are any questions or concerns. for
> those who have already switched over, thanks!

1. I assume the ramp *up* of rate limits for oAuth is still scheduled.
Will that occur after 31 August?

2. When will we be able to test the "open source" workflow? Is that
going to have to wait until after the World Cup?

3. Is "vuvuzela" a Promoted Topic? ;-)

Mr Blog

Jun 18, 2010, 8:25:58 PM6/18/10
to Twitter Development Talk
I have a suggestion that I think will be helpful for developers. When
the FCC shut of analog OTA TV, they scheduled a number of "test"
periods, where OTA TV was shut off briefly so people could see if
their TV was ready for the switch.

I suggest that after the World Cup related trouble subsides, that
@twitterapi schedule a few tests where Basic Auth is turned off for 5
minutes, or 30 minutes or something, so developers can ensure their
apps actually don't have any latent (accidental) Basic Auth dependent
code hiding somewhere. Otherwise, we won't REALLY know for sure we've
plugged all Basic Auth holes until the real cutoff and then it will be
much more painful for our (mutual our) users.