t.co Rollout

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Sep 1, 2010, 11:34:18 PM9/1/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I just got an email from Twitter about oAuth and t.co. Given that I
have about five accounts, I assume I will get more copies. ;-) Anyhow,
in the section on t.co, there was this line:

"You will start seeing these links on certain accounts that have opted-in to
the service"

How does an "account" opt-in to t.co? Will there be a setting in the
web app, similar to opting-in to locations? Will there be an API call,
or will Twitter simply wrap all the links posted by an account that
has opted in?

If I post a bit.ly link and Twitter wraps it via t.co, will the
"unwrapped" display unwrap just the t.co piece, or will it go all the
way down to the raw URL?

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net http://twitter.com/znmeb

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." - Paul Erdos

John Meyer

Sep 1, 2010, 11:49:23 PM9/1/10
On 9/1/2010 9:34 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> I just got an email from Twitter about oAuth and t.co. Given that I have
> about five accounts, I assume I will get more copies. ;-) Anyhow, in the
> section on t.co, there was this line:
>
> "You will start seeing these links on certain accounts that have
> opted-in to
> the service"

And in a related question, exactly how is this going to affect character
count? Will it be based on the bit.ly URL, or the t.co URL?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Sep 2, 2010, 12:41:44 AM9/2/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com, John Meyer
My recollection is that the character count question was discussed on
this list, but I don't remember the number.

Quoting John Meyer <john.l...@gmail.com>:

> --
> Change your membership to this group:

Rich

Sep 2, 2010, 3:31:07 AM9/2/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Please Twitter can you give us an update on how character counts will
work

Personally the only way I see it making sense is if it's still 140 for
us and you change it after. Users will not understand when a character
count wildly jumps when typing and will assume the app is broken.

Also you've decided to change the users tweet and so surely the
character count should reflect the users tweet itself?

On Sep 2, 5:41 am, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zn...@borasky-
research.net> wrote:
> My recollection is that the character count question was discussed on
> this list, but I don't remember the number.
> --
> M. Edward (Ed) Boraskyhttp://borasky-research.nethttp://twitter.com/znmeb
>
> "A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." - Paul Erdos

Nik Fletcher

Sep 2, 2010, 9:23:40 AM9/2/10
to Twitter Development Talk
I don't know the answer to the first few items, but I'm guessing that
the URLs will be unwrapped to whatever was originally submitted to
Twitter (i.e. whatever's currently shown when using the REST API
timelines with ?include_entities=true in the parameters)

-N

--
@nikf

On Sep 2, 4:34 am, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zn...@borasky-
research.net> wrote:
> I just got an email from Twitter about oAuth and t.co. Given that I
> have about five accounts, I assume I will get more copies. ;-) Anyhow,
> in the section on t.co, there was this line:
>
> "You will start seeing these links on certain accounts that have opted-in to
> the service"
>
> How does an "account" opt-in to t.co? Will there be a setting in the
> web app, similar to opting-in to locations? Will there be an API call,
> or will Twitter simply wrap all the links posted by an account that
> has opted in?
>
> If I post a bit.ly link and Twitter wraps it via t.co, will the
> "unwrapped" display unwrap just the t.co piece, or will it go all the
> way down to the raw URL?
>
> --
> M. Edward (Ed) Boraskyhttp://borasky-research.nethttp://twitter.com/znmeb

Boaz

Sep 2, 2010, 1:26:31 AM9/2/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Different question on the same email that states that Twitter will
start tracking every t.co click, whether on twitter.com or a Twitter
app. Does anyone know if Twitter will update their API to allow us to
get the Twitter Update ID that referred a particular click?

Thanks,
Boaz

On Sep 1, 8:34 pm, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zn...@borasky-
research.net> wrote:
> I just got an email from Twitter about oAuth andt.co. Given that I
> have about five accounts, I assume I will get more copies. ;-) Anyhow,
> in the section ont.co, there was this line:
>
> "You will start seeing these links on certain accounts that have opted-in to
> the service"
>
> How does an "account" opt-in tot.co? Will there be a setting in the
> web app, similar to opting-in to locations? Will there be an API call,
> or will Twitter simply wrap all the links posted by an account that
> has opted in?
>
> If I post a bit.ly link and Twitter wraps it viat.co, will the
> "unwrapped" display unwrap just thet.copiece, or will it go all the
> way down to the raw URL?
>
> --
> M. Edward (Ed) Boraskyhttp://borasky-research.nethttp://twitter.com/znmeb

Jonathan Strauss

Sep 2, 2010, 11:53:22 AM9/2/10
to Twitter Development Talk
> > If I post a bit.ly link and Twitter wraps it via t.co, will the
> > "unwrapped" display unwrap just the t.co piece, or will it go all the
> > way down to the raw URL?

According to the documentation, the display link on Twitter is meant
to be whatever link is submitted by the user when tweeting. So if it's
a bit.ly link, it should be displayed as bit.ly. However, various
clients can (and already do) choose to take their own approach to
displaying links (e.g. displaying the canonical URL, the page title,
inline content, etc).

To my understanding, the one thing that will be consistent across all
UIs and clients is that the href will always be the t.co link and it
will always wrap whatever link was submitted by the user when
tweeting, regardless of how it is displayed.

> And in a related question, exactly how is this going to affect character
> count?  Will it be based on the bit.ly URL, or the t.co URL?

I believe all t.co links are 20 characters.

-jonathan

Rich

Sep 2, 2010, 12:02:44 PM9/2/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Yeah my point is that clients when posting shouldn't have to be aware
of this wrapping. As far as posting is concerned, what the client says
is 140 characters is 140 characters. If Twitter decides to change the
number of characters after posting, then that's their issue, it
shouldn't be the client's issue.

I really only need to give one reason for this, user's are stupid. If
you have your character counter at 50 chars left and then all of a
sudden it changes but your character display shows something else,
they won't understand and will simply complain the app is broken.

Rich

Sep 2, 2010, 12:04:26 PM9/2/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Are there any plans to include include_entities to the search api as
we can't parse these unless it is included, and also means clients
can't show proper links when using the search api