Getting more than 20 updates

Lode

May 4, 2007, 3:08:01 AM5/4/07
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi all,

Is there a way to get more than the last 20 updates? I'm working on
integrating twitter with my blog, and I'd like to import all my
updates, even the old ones. I've got a nice twitter plugin for
wordpress, but alas the api or the feeds only give 20 updates. Do I
have to resort to writing a regular expression and parsing the html
pages, or is there a secret parameter to get the last X updates?

Thx,
Lode

Alex Payne

May 4, 2007, 3:17:36 PM5/4/07
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Lode,

This has been a frequent question of late, and we'll be clarifying it
early next week. I'd like to give developers as much flexibility
with our data as possible while still maintaining performance. I'm
sure we can figure out a good middle ground.

Thanks!

--
Alex Payne
http://twitter.com/al3x

Lode

May 4, 2007, 5:45:04 PM5/4/07
to Twitter Development Talk
Thanks Alex!

I sure do understand possible performance issues. I'd be perfectly
fine with ie. a limit on the amount of times the complete backlog
could be downloaded in a certain timeframe, or even a subset of the
past tweets for those with huge backlogs. I do think this possibility
could foster some new exciting mashed up applications built around the
Twitter platform.

Looking forward to the news from you guys. Have a very nice weekend!

(http://twitter.com/)Lode

On May 4, 9:17 pm, Alex Payne <a...@al3x.net> wrote:
> Lode,
>
> This has been a frequent question of late, and we'll be clarifying it
> early next week. I'd like to give developers as much flexibility
> with our data as possible while still maintaining performance. I'm
> sure we can figure out a good middle ground.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --

> Alex Paynehttp://twitter.com/al3x

Lode

May 23, 2007, 3:32:13 AM5/23/07
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi Alex,
any news on this? "Early next week" has passed some time ago now..

Cheers,
Lode

--
twitter.com/lode
www.lodev.name

On May 4, 9:17 pm, Alex Payne <a...@al3x.net> wrote:

> Lode,
>
> This has been a frequent question of late, and we'll be clarifying it
> early next week. I'd like to give developers as much flexibility
> with our data as possible while still maintaining performance. I'm
> sure we can figure out a good middle ground.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --

> Alex Paynehttp://twitter.com/al3x

Mark James Adams

May 23, 2007, 10:02:03 AM5/23/07
On 5/23/07, Lode <lodeve...@gmail.com> wrote:

> any news on this? "Early next week" has passed some time ago now..

I am curious about this as well. I created a quick script exactly for
the purposing of backing up all of my tweets [1]. I would rather focus
on ways of repurposing the data for long term storage rather than the
mechanics of parsing, fetching, and error checking. An official
interface for downloading our entire account archive (and those of our
friends) would be peachy.

[1]: http://raysend.com/mark/2007/05/21/making-twitter-safe-for-historians/

Mark
http://twitter.com/mja

Alex Payne

May 23, 2007, 1:59:19 PM5/23/07
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Here's the deal: we've already got this code working, but we're
hesitant to open it up to everyone until we're satisfied that the
database won't choke under the load. So, the functionality is there,
we're just a bit more testing away from making it widely available.
Thanks for your patience!

spice3d

May 23, 2007, 2:01:40 PM5/23/07
to Twitter Development Talk
Ah, can't wait!

On May 23, 10:59 am, "Alex Payne" <a...@al3x.net> wrote:
> Here's the deal: we've already got this code working, but we're
> hesitant to open it up to everyone until we're satisfied that the
> database won't choke under the load. So, the functionality is there,
> we're just a bit more testing away from making it widely available.
> Thanks for your patience!
>

> On 5/23/07, Mark James Adams <mark.james.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

Message has been deleted

Mark James Adams

May 24, 2007, 10:37:32 PM5/24/07
On 5/24/07, Alex Payne <al...@al3x.net> wrote:

> database won't choke under the load. So, the functionality is there,
> we're just a bit more testing away from making it widely available.
> Thanks for your patience!

No, thank *you* for helping me to remain a lazy programmer.

--
Mark
http://twitter.com/mja

Britt Selvitelle

May 24, 2007, 10:44:48 PM5/24/07
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Yes I'd just like to reaffirm what Alex has said ... the code is there and tested. Some of it needs to be dusted off a bit of course :) We've had a crazy, crazy week but this is a top priority. So look for more news soon, and feel free to ping us about it at any time!
--
Britt Selvitelle
Do you follow me? http://twitter.com/bs

Lode

Jun 24, 2007, 4:54:22 AM6/24/07

On 25 mei, 04:44, "Britt Selvitelle" <anotherbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes I'd just like to reaffirm what Alex has said ... the code is there and
> tested. Some of it needs to be dusted off a bit of course :) We've had a
> crazy, crazy week but this is a top priority. So look for more news soon,
> and feel free to ping us about it at any time!

*ping*

Any news on this?

Britt Selvitelle

Jun 27, 2007, 3:14:12 PM6/27/07
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
This has been rolled out. You should always get the latest 20 updates, regardless of the age.

bear

Jun 27, 2007, 6:19:27 PM6/27/07
to Twitter Development Talk
I'm confused.

The question I thought this thread was asking was when will the API
allow for *more* than the most recent 20 updates to be pulled?

Right now if my bot polls the public timeline it receives *only* 20
replies no matter what the query parameters are and no matter if there
has been 25 or 30 updates since the last poll. That means if it's a
friendly bot and polls once a minute or every other minute it can
easily miss half of the updates.

Has this been changed? Did I miss an API update?

On Jun 27, 3:14 pm, "Britt Selvitelle" <anotherbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This has been rolled out. You should always get the latest 20 updates,
> regardless of the age.

Roelven

Jul 6, 2007, 12:16:48 PM7/6/07
to Twitter Development Talk
It looks like that the developers decided that this has been postponed
or even cancelled.
I surely hope this is not the case, I would like to archive my twitter
messages as well to review them later on a timeline base.

Can Britt or Alex react on this?

Cheers!

Alex Payne

Jul 6, 2007, 2:44:28 PM7/6/07
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
It's been postponed. This could potentially put a lot of stress on
our database, and we don't want to impact site performance.

adm

Jul 8, 2007, 2:42:34 AM7/8/07
to Twitter Development Talk
> It's been postponed.

That's too bad. I understand your reasoning, but please add me to the
list of people who could really use something like this. I am
developing an app on Ning, and Ning can only run scripts automatically
every 30 minutes. Since I am looking for a keyword in all Twitter
statuses in the public timeline, the 30 minute thing combined with the
only 20 statuses per check certainly turns the thing into a needle in
a haystack, and maybe makes the whole app pointless. Oh well.