Service Update for August 17, 2009

Alex Payne

Aug 17, 2009, 3:10:31 PM8/17/09
to Twitter Development Talk, twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com
All,

Thanks for bearing with us as we continue to fend off a Distributed
Denial of Service (DDoS) attack. In order to help us better assist
you, please supply the following information when reporting API
connectivity and performance issues to a...@twitter.com:

1. The IP of the machine making requests to the Twitter API. If you're
behind NAT, please be sure to send us your *external* IP.

2. The IP address of the machine you're contacting in the Twitter
cluster. You can find this on UNIX machines via the "host" or
"nslookup" commands, and on Windows machines via the nbslookup"
command.

3. The Twitter API URL (method) you're requesting and any other
details about the request (GET vs. POST, parameters, headers, etc.).

4. Your host operating system, browser (including version), relevant
cookies, and any other pertinent information about your environment.

5. What kind of network connection you have and from which provider,
and what kind of network connectivity devices you're using.

Without this information, we cannot adequately troubleshoot your issue
while responding to the ongoing attack. Thanks for your consideration.

--
Alex Payne - Platform Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x

Dewald Pretorius

Aug 17, 2009, 3:39:47 PM8/17/09
to Twitter Development Talk
If anyone knows how to get the information for 2) when you are making
several calls per second, and the information for 5) when you are
leasing a server from a hosting provider, who leases the server from a
place like The Planet, please let us know.

I am convinced that I'm not the only one who has NFI.

Dewald

Paul McDonald

Aug 17, 2009, 4:35:25 PM8/17/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Alex - Is there ANY way you guys could post information to your status
page that a DDOS or issue is going on? Something we can point our
customers to so they don't think it is our service/product? Right now
many of my users think the problem is our product, when in fact, it is
simply the IPs they are coming from being blocked. This would really
help out with customer perception of what is going on.

-paul

Alex Payne

Aug 17, 2009, 5:55:21 PM8/17/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com