rate limit still lowered?

Cameron Kaiser

Jan 15, 2008, 9:06:09 PM1/15/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting rate limit errors with very minimal activity now and have been
all day. Are the limits still lowered? I just want to know since users are
also asking me this question.

I know *why* :) I just want to make sure if this is still the case, and if
so, what the ETA will be roughly.

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com
-- I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse -

admun

Jan 15, 2008, 9:45:54 PM1/15/08
to Twitter Development Talk
hum... I am seeing the same error on my twitter client as well.... is
that a problem or some new limitation imposed? My server only doing 9
pull/hour, each time it does 3 actions (users.xml,
friends_timeline.xml, followers.xml)

On Jan 15, 9:06 pm, Cameron Kaiser <spec...@floodgap.com> wrote:
> I'm getting rate limit errors with very minimal activity now and have been
> all day. Are the limits still lowered? I just want to know since users are
> also asking me this question.
>
> I know *why* :) I just want to make sure if this is still the case, and if
> so, what the ETA will be roughly.
>
> --
> ------------------------------------ personal:http://www.cameronkaiser.com/--
> Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems *www.floodgap.com* ckai...@floodgap.com

Alex Payne

Jan 15, 2008, 10:01:34 PM1/15/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
The rate limits are still lowered, as our database is still inundated.
I'll keep you posted.

--
Alex Payne
http://twitter.com/al3x

mak

Jan 16, 2008, 4:27:31 AM1/16/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Hmm... after so many hours... any estimations when you will be able to
get back to normal mode? API-access seems to be quite unusable at the
moment, users exceed nearly immediately, and guess where they
complain :-)

Also, can you give us any hint about the number of requests allowed
per hour at the moment?

Thanks

On Jan 16, 4:01 am, "Alex Payne" <a...@al3x.net> wrote:
> The rate limits are still lowered, as our database is still inundated.
> I'll keep you posted.

Cameron Kaiser

Jan 16, 2008, 8:40:17 AM1/16/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> Hmm... after so many hours... any estimations when you will be able to
> get back to normal mode? API-access seems to be quite unusable at the
> moment, users exceed nearly immediately, and guess where they
> complain :-)
>
> Also, can you give us any hint about the number of requests allowed
> per hour at the moment?

My testing seems to indicate around 9.

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com

-- FORTUNE: Good day for heavy drinking. Start spiking the office water cooler.

Marco Kaiser

Jan 16, 2008, 8:44:22 AM1/16/08
On Jan 16, 2008 2:40 PM, Cameron Kaiser <spe...@floodgap.com> wrote:

> Hmm... after so many hours... any estimations when you will be able to
> get back to normal mode? API-access seems to be quite unusable at the
> moment, users exceed nearly immediately, and guess where they
> complain :-)
>
> Also, can you give us any hint about the number of requests allowed
> per hour at the moment?

My testing seems to indicate around 9.

Ouch... still don't understand why it is still low, keynote over for hmm... 18 hours or so?

Marco Kaiser

Jan 16, 2008, 9:40:39 AM1/16/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Did test it myself, get locked out after 5 (five) consecutive requests on a clear account, verified on multiple accounts. Scary.

Dossy Shiobara

Jan 16, 2008, 9:49:41 AM1/16/08
On 2008.01.16, Marco Kaiser <kaiser...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did test it myself, get locked out after 5 (five) consecutive requests
> on a clear account, verified on multiple accounts. Scary.

Wow. _5_ requests/hour? Now I know why nobody can use Twitter Karma any
more, either.

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara | do...@panoptic.com | http://dossy.org/
Panoptic Computer Network | http://panoptic.com/

Austin Ziegler

Jan 16, 2008, 10:06:30 AM1/16/08
On Jan 16, 9:49 am, Dossy Shiobara <do...@panoptic.com> wrote:
> On 2008.01.16, Marco Kaiser <kaiser.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Did test it myself, get locked out after 5 (five) consecutive requests
> > on a clear account, verified on multiple accounts. Scary.
> Wow. _5_ requests/hour?  Now I know why nobody can use Twitter Karma any
> more, either.

Maybe the Twitter API should be extended so that it returns to API
clients how many requests are left for a given hour and when the hour
resets.

-austin

Jonathan Snook

Jan 16, 2008, 10:06:44 AM1/16/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Alex,

A suggestion for next time, change the rate limit error message to
include the new limited rate and possibly an explanation why.

Whenever I receive an error from the Twitter API, I display that to
the user as-is.

Thanks,

-Jonathan

Cameron Kaiser

Jan 16, 2008, 10:24:25 AM1/16/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com

I second that suggestion -- I do the same thing.

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com

-- #include <std_disclaimer.h> ------------------------------------------------

Dossy Shiobara

Jan 16, 2008, 10:52:59 AM1/16/08
On 2008.01.16, Austin Ziegler <halos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe the Twitter API should be extended so that it returns to API
> clients how many requests are left for a given hour and when the hour
> resets.

Maybe the Twitter API should just be made robust and scalable enough to
not impose such a ridiculously low rate limit. Then, all those other
bits of metadata become irrelevant.

Ed Finkler

Jan 16, 2008, 10:54:49 AM1/16/08
On Jan 16, 2008 10:52 AM, Dossy Shiobara <do...@panoptic.com> wrote:

> On 2008.01.16, Austin Ziegler <halos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Maybe the Twitter API should be extended so that it returns to API
> > clients how many requests are left for a given hour and when the hour
> > resets.
>
> Maybe the Twitter API should just be made robust and scalable enough to
> not impose such a ridiculously low rate limit. Then, all those other
> bits of metadata become irrelevant.

I'm sure they didn't think of that! Thanks!

Ed Finkler
http://funkatron.com
AIM: funka7ron
ICQ: 3922133
Skype: funka7ron

Dossy Shiobara

Jan 16, 2008, 10:58:14 AM1/16/08
On 2008.01.16, Ed Finkler <funk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sure they didn't think of that! Thanks!

Given that development time is a finite resource, I'd rather it be spent
on making things scalable rather than adding metadata dingleberries.

Maybe it's just me, but that's how I'd spend _my_ time.

Ed Finkler

Jan 16, 2008, 11:05:00 AM1/16/08
On Jan 16, 2008 10:58 AM, Dossy Shiobara <do...@panoptic.com> wrote:

> On 2008.01.16, Ed Finkler <funk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm sure they didn't think of that! Thanks!
>
> Given that development time is a finite resource, I'd rather it be spent
> on making things scalable rather than adding metadata dingleberries.
>
> Maybe it's just me, but that's how I'd spend _my_ time.

Awesome. Let me know when your service is up!

Piers Karsenbarg

Jan 16, 2008, 11:05:29 AM1/16/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I think a lot of the problems might have been (as Alex pointed out) simply because they hadn't been able to move to the new datacentre.

Admittedly we'll never know, but that might have solved things.

Remember how it took Skype a while to settle down after all those logins (and that was only logins!). It's just taking Twitter a bit longer to settle.

Marco Kaiser

Jan 16, 2008, 11:06:30 AM1/16/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Well, Jobs' keynotes are extraordinary events, so I wouldn't blame Twitter for having trouble when it takes place, especially as they are still running on their old data center.

But this was nearly a day ago, so why is the service still unusable? And second, their information policy is really bad this time: no status updates / comments for hours, no details on how they restricted API access, no ETA when they'll get back to normal... even the error message is plain wrong, it says 70 req/hour (yeah, right... much more confusion for users).

Sorry, but you should improve on that, Twitter.

Andy Bilodeau

Jan 16, 2008, 11:08:24 AM1/16/08

On Jan 16, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Piers Karsenbarg wrote:

> I think a lot of the problems might have been (as Alex pointed out)
> simply because they hadn't been able to move to the new datacentre.
>
> Admittedly we'll never know, but that might have solved things.
>
> Remember how it took Skype a while to settle down after all those
> logins (and that was only logins!). It's just taking Twitter a bit
> longer to settle.
>
> On Jan 16, 2008 3:58 PM, Dossy Shiobara < do...@panoptic.com> wrote:
>
> On 2008.01.16, Ed Finkler <funk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm sure they didn't think of that! Thanks!
>
> Given that development time is a finite resource, I'd rather it be
> spent
> on making things scalable rather than adding metadata dingleberries.
>
> Maybe it's just me, but that's how I'd spend _my_ time.
>
> -- Dossy

Besides...this is a FREE service...

Get over it!

Cameron Kaiser

Jan 16, 2008, 11:15:34 AM1/16/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> Besides...this is a FREE service...
> Get over it!

Quite so and no doubt. It just would be nice to have an ETA, even if a
very rough one. Also, the '70 requests' message makes it look as if the
client has a bug in it and somehow made 70 requests like kapow.

I don't complain about the downtime -- just some updates would be nice
so we can help our own userbases. (Which in turn helps Twitter support
since we can head them off at the pass.)

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com

-- Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat. --------------------------

Alex Payne

Jan 16, 2008, 2:34:42 PM1/16/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I'm deploying right now, and the API rate limit should soon be back to
normal. My sincere apologies for the delay, but I needed the go-ahead
from our operations team before inundating our servers further. I'm
hoping that we'll have some announcements later this week in regards
to increased capacity, so events like this don't happen again.

Marco Kaiser

Jan 16, 2008, 2:38:59 PM1/16/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Great news. Thanks, Alex, you'll make a lot of people happy :-)

Cameron Kaiser

Jan 16, 2008, 3:53:45 PM1/16/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> I'm deploying right now, and the API rate limit should soon be back to
> normal. My sincere apologies for the delay, but I needed the go-ahead
> from our operations team before inundating our servers further. I'm
> hoping that we'll have some announcements later this week in regards
> to increased capacity, so events like this don't happen again.

Much obliged :) and thanks!

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com

admun

Jan 17, 2008, 10:28:25 AM1/17/08