Search with geocode does not respect search radius?

Johannes la Poutre

Sep 24, 2010, 9:57:54 AM9/24/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Hello,

Since a few days it seems that search restricted by geolocation and
search radius is not working correctly anymore.

If I submit this request:

http://search.twitter.com/search.json?geocode=52.360773%2C4.871720%2C1km&rpp=100

I expect all resuls to originate from a geocode within 1km radius
around the central coordinate.

As of a few days ago I get many results from much farther away, up to
several tens of kilometers.

Is this a known issue?
Any time to a fix?
Or has there been an API change?
Note: I revisited the API documentation ad could not find any recent
changes.

Best,

Joe.

Taylor Singletary

Sep 24, 2010, 10:33:26 AM9/24/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
We have a bug right now effecting exactly these kinds of searches. I'm not sure how quickly it will be fixed, but I'm hoping it will be early next week. I don't think there are any functional workarounds besides merging multiple searches.

Sorry about the mess!

Taylor

Change your membership to this group: http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk

Johannes la Poutre

Sep 24, 2010, 11:24:04 AM9/24/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Ouch, that is pretty nasty... I'll see what can be done as merging
multiple searches will degrade response times rather badly.

Thanks for the reply!

On Sep 24, 4:33 pm, Taylor Singletary <taylorsinglet...@twitter.com>
wrote:
> We have a bug right now effecting exactly these kinds of searches. I'm not
> sure how quickly it will be fixed, but I'm hoping it will be early next
> week. I don't think there are any functional workarounds besides merging
> multiple searches.
>
> Sorry about the mess!
>
> Taylor
>
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Johannes la Poutre <jsixp...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > Since a few days it seems that search restricted by geolocation and
> > search radius is not working correctly anymore.
>
> > If I submit this request:
>
> >http://search.twitter.com/search.json?geocode=52.360773%2C4.871720%2C...

Johannes la Poutre

Oct 1, 2010, 4:58:58 AM10/1/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi Taylor,

Any updates on this?
Currently the geocode search is still broken...

wrote:
> We have a bug right now effecting exactly these kinds of searches. I'm not
> sure how quickly it will be fixed, but I'm hoping it will be early next
> week. I don't think there are any functional workarounds besides merging
> multiple searches.
>
> Sorry about the mess!
>
> Taylor
>
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Johannes la Poutre <jsixp...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > Since a few days it seems that search restricted by geolocation and
> > search radius is not working correctly anymore.
>
> > If I submit this request:
>
> >http://search.twitter.com/search.json?geocode=52.360773%2C4.871720%2C...

Matt Harris

Oct 1, 2010, 6:45:45 PM10/1/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
This is being investigated at the moment so were still waiting for a
fix. When one is deployed we'll let you know.
Best,

@themattharris
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/themattharris

_ado

Oct 4, 2010, 11:36:53 PM10/4/10
to Twitter Development Talk
For what it's worth, I'm seeing the same issue. Radius parameter is
completely ignored. Data returned for, for example, a 1 mile radius
will return results spanning 60 miles.

Matt Harris

Oct 5, 2010, 12:42:18 PM10/5/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
This is a know issue which the team is working on at the moment. I'll
post an update when a fix is deployed.

---

@themattharris
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/themattharris

divricean

Oct 9, 2010, 5:43:19 PM10/9/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi Matt,

Just thought I add more heat. My app is dead because of this bug.
Looking forward to a fix.

On Oct 5, 7:42 pm, Matt Harris <thematthar...@twitter.com> wrote:
> This is a know issue which the team is working on at the moment. I'll
> post an update when a fix is deployed.
>
> ---
> @themattharris
> Developer Advocate, Twitterhttp://twitter.com/themattharris

Nick

Oct 11, 2010, 12:29:39 AM10/11/10
to Twitter Development Talk
We are having issues with this as well and it has completely broken
our system.

We have sent many support tickets but have received no response to
them.

It looks to be breaking plain searches to not just those requested via
the API.

Some examples of broken searches are:

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=bigpond+near%3Aaustralia

http://search.twitter.com/search.json?q=bigpond&geocode=-27.766513,134.121094,2500km

These were working before this issue.

Best Regards
Nick Fritzkowski

On Oct 6, 2:42 am, Matt Harris <thematthar...@twitter.com> wrote:
> This is a know issue which the team is working on at the moment. I'll
> post an update when a fix is deployed.
>
> ---
> @themattharris
> Developer Advocate, Twitterhttp://twitter.com/themattharris

themattharris

Oct 11, 2010, 3:38:32 PM10/11/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Thanks for filing the ticket on this, we'll post there when a fix is
deployed. Progress wise I checked in with the team today and they
continue to work on a fix.

To keep things connected there is another thread that was discussing
the issue with geocoded search here:
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/c8826d16b613cf23/79e3d726021652e9#79e3d726021652e9

More information will be filed on the ticket here:
http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=1930

Thanks for bearing with us whilst we work out what went wrong with the
location index and how to resolve it.

Best,
@themattharris

On Oct 10, 9:29 pm, Nick <nick.fritzkow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are having issues with this as well and it has completely broken
> our system.
>
> We have sent many support tickets but have received no response to
> them.
>
> It looks to be breaking plain searches to not just those requested via
> the API.
>
> Some examples of broken searches are:
>
> http://search.twitter.com/search?q=bigpond+near%3Aaustralia
>
> http://search.twitter.com/search.json?q=bigpond&geocode=-27.766513,13...

Johannes la Poutre

Oct 16, 2010, 5:51:58 AM10/16/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Update: the ticket is closed and @TweepsAround seems to be working
fine again.

Details: http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=1930

Quote:

Comment 3 by project member tokofu, Today (13 hours ago)

We've deployed some changes which should have fixed this issue so i'm
closing the ticket.

Many thanks!

On Oct 11, 9:38 pm, themattharris <thematthar...@twitter.com> wrote:
> Thanks for filing the ticket on this, we'll post there when a fix is
> deployed. Progress wise I checked in with the team today and they
> continue to work on a fix.
>
> To keep things connected there is another thread that was discussing
> the issue with geocoded search here:
>    http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread...

Daniel

Oct 17, 2010, 5:41:17 PM10/17/10
to Twitter Development Talk
the issue is still happening... You could check it at http://metaki.com

Some times the search api query with geo params returns tweets with
the lat lon of the BIO and not the lat lon of the tweet!!!

You may check this problem for example in Santiago de Chile, or in
Buenos Aires.

Matt Harris

Oct 18, 2010, 3:14:38 PM10/18/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
This is by design for the Search API. When a Tweet doesn't include any Geo information the Search API will instead use the location in the users profile.

The Streaming API looks only for Geo information on a Tweet and ignores the user location. If the users location is not important to you this may be a better solution.