OAuth, the time has come.

Matt Sanford

Feb 11, 2009, 5:04:55 PM2/11/09
to Twitter Development Talk, twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone,

Some of you are in the OAuth closed beta and some are not. I know
that's frustrating but we need to start small so we aren't buried in
feature requests and bugs all at once. Our intention is to discuss the
OAuth progress on this main API Google group (http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk
). If the discussion gets in the way of the normal group operation
please speak up and we can always move it off to a new Google group of
its own.

With all of that in mind we just launched the closed beta switch.
If you're one of the 150 or so people included in the closed beta your
settings page (http://twitter.com/account/settings) now contains a
"Connections" tab. In the sidebar is a little information and a link
to register your very own application. When you register a new
application it will begin as suspended. You'll have the technical
details (the key and secret) you need to get started but one of the
Twitter admins will have to approve the application. It is not our
intention to leave this in place forever but during these early
application registrations we need to monitor things. Please use real
descriptions and meaningful names, since that' what we'll have to go
on. Especially meaningful names.

During the closed beta we're looking for feedback. The Google
group is good for discussing general issues and experiences but the
Google code issues are the best place for bugs and enhancements (http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/list
if you don't already know). I added a new milestone of "OAuth", so
please mark any bugs with the correct milestone. When you report
issues try to be specific about the problem, especially in how to
reproduce it. It would also save us some time reviewing if you mark
enhancements with "Type-Enhancement"in the appropriate box.

Thanks;
— Matt Sanford / @mzsanford

Matt Sanford

Feb 11, 2009, 5:16:13 PM2/11/09
to Twitter Development Talk, twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com
And now for what I forgot,

    During this closed beta we recommend very strongly that you not do general software releases using the feature.  If we find any security or performance problems we will need to turn off OAuth and I don't want to break your apps. Your app can sign up users who are not in the closed beta but since this is really a focus on getting feedback please try and limit the audience to people who you feel can provide some feedback.

Thanks;
  — Matt Sanford

On Feb 11, 2009, at 02:04 PM, Matt Sanford wrote:

Hello Everyone,

  Some of you are in the OAuth closed beta and some are not. I know that's frustrating but we need to start small so we aren't buried in feature requests and bugs all at once. Our intention is to discuss the OAuth progress on this main API Google group (http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk). If the discussion gets in the way of the normal group operation please speak up and we can always move it off to a new Google group of its own.

Aaron Brazell

Feb 11, 2009, 5:35:45 PM2/11/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Matt-

Do you have a guess as to how long the closed beta will last? I did
not apply to be a tester, but just in the last 24h, a project has
cropped up that would benefit from OAuth. I'm guessing 2 weeks barring
crazy talk?

Aaron Brazell
web:: www.technosailor.com
phone:: 410-608-6620
skype:: technosailor
twitter:: @technosailor

Matt Sanford

Feb 11, 2009, 6:46:41 PM2/11/09
to Twitter Development Talk
And the first bugs is …

    That some of you are not seeing the new "Connections" tab. It looks like a minor bug in the code that does the beta access check (which was new, never done a closed beta before). We're working on a fix now and will send it out with tomorrows morning deploy. I'll update the list once it's out.

Sorry about that;
  — Matt Sanford

Stuart

Feb 11, 2009, 7:40:38 PM2/11/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
It's working great here. Haven't done any more than a basic auth +
single API call but it very smooth for the end user. Nice work guys.

-Stuart

--
http://twitapps.com/

bear

Feb 11, 2009, 7:48:04 PM2/11/09
to Twitter Development Talk
this is like getting a call from your wife that a big box has been
delivered to your house and you have no idea what it is...

/me clicks refresh again

/me clicks refresh

Jeremy Johnstone

Feb 11, 2009, 7:42:39 PM2/11/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Is there a limit to the number of applications we can register for the
closed beta? I'm looking at potentially having only 2-3, but wanted to
confirm if we are allowed multiple before submitting the first
application.

Thanks!

-Jeremy

On Feb 11, 4:40 pm, Stuart <stut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's working great here. Haven't done any more than a basic auth +
> single API call but it very smooth for the end user. Nice work guys.
>
> -Stuart
>
> --http://twitapps.com/
>
> 2009/2/11 Matt Sanford <m...@twitter.com>:
> > (http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/listif you don't already

Stuart

Feb 11, 2009, 8:28:55 PM2/11/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, spoke too soon. Authorisation fails if I'm not logged into twitter.

Ticket raised: http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=280

-Stuart

2009/2/12 Stuart <stu...@gmail.com>:

--
http://twitapps.com/

Matt Sanford

Feb 12, 2009, 8:17:02 PM2/12/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi all,

    This bug with approved accounts not seeing the "Connections" tab should now be fixed. It may take a little time to roll out across the cluster so please give it an hour or so. I mentioned in the original email and wanted to reiterate for those just now getting access to the "Connections" tab: applications all start out suspended and have to be activated by someone from the Twitter side. That function is currently performed by me so if you register and application in the middle of the night (US pacific time) it won't get reviewed until the next day. Over the weekend it really depends on how much I am working so it will likely be Monday before I get to it.

Thanks;
  — Matt Sanford

Chad Etzel

Feb 13, 2009, 3:32:50 PM2/13/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Quick suggestion: I'm not sure if this is a "bug" per se, but it would
be handy if you got an email or some other notification upon having
your submitted app approved.

-Chad

Matt Sanford

Feb 13, 2009, 3:38:22 PM2/13/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chad,

We're not sure if we're going to keep that review process in
place or not. If we keep it we'll add and email notification. Thanks
for the suggestion.

Cheers;
— Matt

Montoja

Feb 15, 2009, 10:14:39 AM2/15/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi all,

I just did a successful test for Twittermail.com.
Implementin oAuth in our application was very easy, I didn't find any
bugs so-far.

I have a few questions:

- When is oAuth going to be live? At the moment it's still closed
beta, what's the timeline and when can we use it in production?

- I guess the authorize page will be updated when it's live? At the
moment it's just a Allow/Deny button, but people want to know sure
it's really Twitter (For those's who're too lazy to check the url).
I mean adding a header / footer for this page, stuff like that..

No more questions, I didn't any bugs, implementing was very easy, so
good work Twitter people! =)

Lennaert

Burhan TANWEER

Feb 16, 2009, 12:19:15 PM2/16/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
What language did you use for oAuth programming?
--
Sincerely,

Burhan Tanweer
Founder
www.CorrectSearch.com
Phone:  877-807-1818
sup...@correctsearch.com

Duane Storey

Feb 15, 2009, 8:17:57 PM2/15/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Hey Matt,

You looking for any more beta testers? I wouldn't mind testing it out
with some of my WordPress plugins that use the Twitter API. Please
let me know.

Thanks,
Duane

Mark Bao