Most popular tweets in the search API

Taylor Singletary

Mar 19, 2010, 10:37:18 AM3/19/10
to twitter-development-talk, twitter-api-announce
Hi Developers!

The Search team is working on a beta project that returns the most popular tweets for a query, rather than only the most recent tweets. This is a beta project, but an important first step to surface the most popular tweets for users searching Twitter.

You can expect many improvements as we tune and tweak our algorithms, but we want to give everyone a heads up so we can go over the implications for those consuming the search API.

--- New attribute in the payload ---

First of all there will be a new attribute in search result payloads. Since some tweets are popular for a given query while others are simply the most recent results that match the query, we are adding a "metadata" section to specify the type of result that a given result represents.

So for a popular tweet the "result_type" in the "metadata" section will have the value "popular".

Example of a result with a popular tweet:

{
    "results":
    [
        {
            "created_at":"Mon,15 Feb 2010 19:55:18 +0000",
            "from_user":"Elizabeth",
            "to_user_id":null,
            "text":"It's the Griswold family trip to Joshua Tree Park! @rsarver @Devon @Jess @noradio @kevinweil",
            "id":9153622261,
            "from_user_id":106309,
            "geo":null,
            "iso_language_code":"en",
            "source":"<a href="http://www.atebits.com/" rel="nofollow">Tweetie</a>",
            "metadata":
            {
                "result_type": "popular"
            }
        }

      /* etc ... */
}

Results that are not popular and represent simply recent query matches will have the "result_type" in the "metadata" section with a value of "recent".

Example of a recent result:

{
    "results":
    [
        {
            "created_at":"Mon, 15 Feb 2010 23:42:45 +0000",
            "from_user":"timhaines",
            "to_user_id":97776,
            "text":"@noradio Nice spot.",
            "id":9160218997,
            "from_user_id":159881,
            "to_user":"noradio",
            "geo":null,
            "iso_language_code":"it",
            "source":"<a href="http://www.atebits.com/" rel="nofollow">Tweetie</a>",
            "metadata":
            {
                "result_type": "recent"
            }
        },

      /* etc ... */
}

--- Results with popular tweets aren't ordered chronologically ---

Until the popular tweet feature all search results have been sorted chronologically, most recent results at the top. If a search query has any popular results, those will be returned at the top, even if they are older than the other results.

Example of a non-chronologically ordered set of results including popular results:

{
    "results":
    [
        {
[...]

--- Only getting popular results ---

If you *only* care about popular results for a given query term, you can provide a "result_type" parameter with the value "popular". Then only popular results, if there are any, will be returned. By default, if "result_type" isn't provided, all result types will be returned.

--- Never getting popular results ---

Conversely, if you *do not* want to receive popular results, provide a "result_type" parameter with the value "recent". Then only recent results will be returned.

--- Dealing with popular tweets for refreshing search widgets ---

For those using client side search widgets, by default the first request might include popular results. If you want to display these you can use the result_type attribute to visually differentiate them. If you don't want to display these you can always just pass the "result_type" parameter with a value of "recent" along with your request and they'll never be included.

In the case that you are displaying them, you may not want to not redisplay them every time your widget refreshes. Each result payload will include the since_id that you should use in subsequent requests to get the latest results. If you are using this since_id (which all compliant search widgets should) then the popular results will be excluded in subsequent requests. The specific since_id value to pass up to the query string is included in the payload. Here are examples in various formats:

json:
  "refresh_url":"?since_id=9290798834&q=i"

atom:
  <link type="application/atom+xml" href="http://search.twitter.com/search.atom?q=i&amp;since_id=9290738270" rel="refresh"/>

rss:
  <twitter:refresh_url>http://search.twitter.com/search.rss?q=i&amp;since_id=9290775688</twitter:refresh_url>

--- Thanks ---

We're excited about this project and will send updates as we get closer to the release date. We're looking forward to your feedback and questions! Thank you.

Taylor Singletary (on behalf of the platform & search teams at Twitter)
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/episod

funkatron

Mar 19, 2010, 10:42:52 AM3/19/10
to Twitter Development Talk
So this would change the default behavior of the search API, which is
currently to return "recent" results?

If so, I think that's a bad idea. Better to offer the option than to
change existing behavior when possible.

--
Ed Finkler
http://funkatron.com

On Mar 19, 10:37 am, Taylor Singletary <taylorsinglet...@twitter.com>
wrote:

> rel=&quot;nofollow&quot;&gt;Tweetie&lt;/a&gt;",
>             "metadata":
>             {
>                 "result_type": "popular"
>             }
>         }
>
>       /* etc ... */
>
> }
>
> Results that are not popular and represent simply recent query matches will
> have the "result_type" in the "metadata" section with a value of "recent".
>
> Example of a recent result:
>
> {
>     "results":
>     [
>         {
>             "profile_image_url":"http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/641350353/TimCheekFinger_normal.jpg",
>             "created_at":"Mon, 15 Feb 2010 23:42:45 +0000",
>             "from_user":"timhaines",
>             "to_user_id":97776,
>             "text":"@noradio Nice spot.",
>             "id":9160218997,
>             "from_user_id":159881,
>             "to_user":"noradio",
>             "geo":null,
>             "iso_language_code":"it",
>             "source":"&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.atebits.com/"

> rel=&quot;nofollow&quot;&gt;Tweetie&lt;/a&gt;",
>             "metadata":
>             {
>                 "result_type": "recent"
>             }
>         },
>
>       /* etc ... */
>
> }
>
> --- Results with popular tweets aren't ordered chronologically ---
>
> Until the popular tweet feature all search results have been sorted
> popular results, those will be returned at the top, even if they are older
> than the other results.
>
> Example of a non-chronologically ordered set of results including popular
> results:
>
> {
>     "results":
>     [
>         {
>             "profile_image_url":"http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/668144840/Elizabeth_Web_normal.jpg",
>             "created_at":"Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:55:18 +0000",
>             "from_user":"Elizabeth",
>             "to_user_id":null,
>             "text":"It's the Griswold family trip to Joshua Tree Park!
> @rsarver @Devon @Jess @noradio @kevinweil",
>             "id":9153622261,
>             "from_user_id":106309,
>             "geo":null,
>             "iso_language_code":"en",
>             "source":"&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.atebits.com/"

> rel=&quot;nofollow&quot;&gt;Tweetie&lt;/a&gt;",
>             "metadata":
>             {
>                 "result_type": "popular"
>             }
>         },
>         {
>             "profile_image_url":"http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/641350353/TimCheekFinger_normal.jpg",
>             "created_at":"Mon, 15 Feb 2010 23:42:45 +0000",
> [...]

Dossy Shiobara

Mar 19, 2010, 10:43:57 AM3/19/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
On 3/19/10 10:42 AM, funkatron wrote:
> So this would change the default behavior of the search API, which is
> currently to return "recent" results?
>
> If so, I think that's a bad idea. Better to offer the option than to
> change existing behavior when possible.

+1. Don't break backwards compatibility unless there's a really good
reason to do so.

--
Dossy Shiobara | do...@panoptic.com | http://dossy.org/
Panoptic Computer Network | http://panoptic.com/

Cameron Kaiser

Mar 19, 2010, 12:39:01 PM3/19/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> > So this would change the default behavior of the search API, which is
> > currently to return "recent" results?
> >
> > If so, I think that's a bad idea. Better to offer the option than to
> > change existing behavior when possible.
>
> +1. Don't break backwards compatibility unless there's a really good
> reason to do so.

Also +1.

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com
-- If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ----------------------

Nick Arnett

Mar 19, 2010, 12:44:29 PM3/19/10
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 7:37 AM, Taylor Singletary <taylorsi...@twitter.com> wrote:
Hi Developers!

The Search team is working on a beta project that returns the most popular tweets for a query,

What is the definition of "popular?"

Nick

Taylor Singletary

Mar 19, 2010, 1:09:10 PM3/19/10
to twitter-development-talk
Your questions so far have been great and we're listening.

I wanted to let everyone know that when we do roll this out, it will be such that developers will "opt-in" to receiving Top Tweets in their results for the first month or so of the feature rollout. After the trial transition period is complete, we'll enable this feature by default. You will have time to adjust.

Taylor Singletary

Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/episod

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to twitter-development-talk+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

davidzimm

Mar 19, 2010, 1:11:47 PM3/19/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Bad idea.

1) reduces the credibility and thereby the value of the results in
twitter search
2) who determines which is popular- no matter how you try to calculate
this, someone will figure it out and spam the results.
3) people are used to searching twitter for breaking news, rather than
"authoritative" results. You'll have to change user expectations.
4) perhaps this can be an "advanced" setting, rather than a default
practice.

wrote:

> [...]

>             "created_at":"Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:55:18 +0000",
>             "from_user":"Elizabeth",
>             "to_user_id":null,
>             "text":"It's the Griswold family trip to Joshua Tree Park!
> @rsarver @Devon @Jess @noradio @kevinweil",
>             "id":9153622261,
>             "from_user_id":106309,
>             "geo":null,
>             "iso_language_code":"en",
>             "source":"&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.atebits.com/"

> rel=&quot;nofollow&quot;&gt;Tweetie&lt;/a&gt;",
>             "metadata":
>             {
>                 "result_type": "popular"
>             }
>         },
>         {
>             "profile_image_url":"http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/641350353/TimCheekFinger_normal.jpg",
>             "created_at":"Mon, 15 Feb 2010 23:42:45 +0000",

Taylor Singletary

Mar 19, 2010, 1:39:40 PM3/19/10
to twitter-development-talk
Even further clarifications:

Top Tweets are coming to make search results even more relevant. We'll be tuning our ranking algorithms with gusto. Some people will naturally resist these changes. Approach with a zen mind.

When we launch this new feature for the API, it will be opt-in for a transitory period, but the search.twitter.com site will come with these results already baked in. Before implementing in your own applications, you'll be able to see the top results for your favorite queries your self.

The Search team is always working on ways of making results more relevant. We recognize that not everyone wants search results with algorithmic ranking of tweets, but we like what we've come up with and we think you'll like it too.

Taylor Singletary
> [...]

>             "created_at":"Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:55:18 +0000",
>             "from_user":"Elizabeth",
>             "to_user_id":null,
>             "text":"It's the Griswold family trip to Joshua Tree Park!
> @rsarver @Devon @Jess @noradio @kevinweil",
>             "id":9153622261,
>             "from_user_id":106309,
>             "geo":null,
>             "iso_language_code":"en",
>             "source":"<a href="http://www.atebits.com/"
> rel="nofollow">Tweetie</a>",

>             "metadata":
>             {
>                 "result_type": "popular"
>             }
>         },
>         {
>             "profile_image_url":"http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/641350353/TimCheekFinger_normal.jpg",
>             "created_at":"Mon, 15 Feb 2010 23:42:45 +0000",

Robert Evans

Mar 19, 2010, 1:22:55 PM3/19/10
to Twitter Development Talk
I'm assuming "popular" is based on retweet count?

I'd suggest that if result_type is not given in the request that the
search performs as it has been. If you want just popular, you'd use
popular as you've suggested or recent for non popular. If you wanted a
mix, ordered as you are suggesting, then add the value "all" for the
result_type.

That would be much more of an extension/feature rather than a
refactor.

On Mar 19, 10:09 am, Taylor Singletary <taylorsinglet...@twitter.com>
wrote:

> Your questions so far have been great and we're listening.
>
> I wanted to let everyone know that when we do roll this out, it will be such
> that developers will "opt-in" to receiving Top Tweets in their results for
> the first month or so of the feature rollout. After the trial transition
> period is complete, we'll enable this feature by default. You will have time
> to adjust.
>
> Taylor Singletary

> Developer Advocate, Twitterhttp://twitter.com/episod

Cameron Kaiser

Mar 19, 2010, 1:43:52 PM3/19/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> I wanted to let everyone know that when we do roll this out, it will be such
> that developers will "opt-in" to receiving Top Tweets in their results for
> the first month or so of the feature rollout. After the trial transition
> period is complete, we'll enable this feature by default. You will have time
> to adjust.

So how do you opt-out? Really, this feature doesn't square with TTYtter's
search API support at all.

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com

-- Software sucks because users demand it to. -- Nathan Mhyrvold, Microsoft ---

Richard Nevins

Mar 19, 2010, 1:44:46 PM3/19/10
to Twitter Development Talk
I'm also curious to understand how 'popular' tweets will be
determined.
Once a tweet is considered to be popular for search purposes, might it
be cached for an extended period of time so that it will return for
queries beyond the currently limited period?

--
Richard Nevins
Twitter: @hornOKplease

funkatron

Mar 19, 2010, 3:19:15 PM3/19/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Your definition of "time to adjust" may not be ours. Twitter has, to
be honest, a fairly crappy reputation for changing API behavior. While
some of that was surely driven by performance concerns, I don't see
how this could be. This doesn't help the rep.

Please, do not enable this by default, *ever*. Don't change behavior
unless it is necessary. Add a new API method, or make recent results
the default and keep it that way.

If you're advocating for developers, advocate for making us do less
work to maintain current functionality, please.

--
Ed Finkler
http://funkatron.com

On Mar 19, 1:09 pm, Taylor Singletary <taylorsinglet...@twitter.com>
wrote:

> Your questions so far have been great and we're listening.
>
> I wanted to let everyone know that when we do roll this out, it will be such
> that developers will "opt-in" to receiving Top Tweets in their results for
> the first month or so of the feature rollout. After the trial transition
> period is complete, we'll enable this feature by default. You will have time
> to adjust.
>
> Taylor Singletary

> Developer Advocate, Twitterhttp://twitter.com/episod

Cameron Kaiser

Mar 19, 2010, 3:29:05 PM3/19/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> Your definition of "time to adjust" may not be ours. Twitter has, to
> be honest, a fairly crappy reputation for changing API behavior. While
> some of that was surely driven by performance concerns, I don't see
> how this could be. This doesn't help the rep.
>
> Please, do not enable this by default, *ever*. Don't change behavior
> unless it is necessary. Add a new API method, or make recent results
> the default and keep it that way.
>
> If you're advocating for developers, advocate for making us do less
> work to maintain current functionality, please.

This is spot on. It's not that I think the idea itself is bad -- I'm all
for more relevant search results *when relevance is what's requested*. Right
now, every app that queries the Search API expects time-oriented results
because that's what we got before. Making this the new default is needless
dev chaos, *and* I haven't heard if there is even a way to opt back to the
old behaviour if this becomes the ill-advised default anyway.

I'd love to support this feature, in the appropriate context, when it makes
sense to do so. I don't want to have to code around it as the new,
unsolicited default when it doesn't.

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com

-- FORTUNE: Good day for romance, but try a single person this time. ----------

Dewald Pretorius

Mar 19, 2010, 3:36:20 PM3/19/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Taylor,

In terms of this change, you need to separate Twitter Search from the
Twitter Search API in your minds.

Do with Twitter Search (the web interface) what you like. Make popular
the default if you want.

But, don't decide on behalf of the developers (the consumers of the
Twitter Search API) that popular is the default that we want. In most
cases it probably isn't. In my case it definitely isn't, otherwise I
would have asked for something like that a long time ago.

In other words, don't force something down our throats just because
you think it's a cool idea.

Leave the default as is. Make "popular" an option that we can use if
we want to. That's good developer service, because it doesn't create
additional work for us if we want to remain with the status quo, and
it gives us additional options if we want to use them.

On Mar 19, 2:39 pm, Taylor Singletary <taylorsinglet...@twitter.com>
wrote:

> Even further clarifications:
>
> Top Tweets are coming to make search results even more relevant. We'll be
> tuning our ranking algorithms with gusto. Some people will naturally resist
> these changes. Approach with a zen mind.
>
> When we launch this new feature for the API, it will be opt-in for a
> transitory period, but the search.twitter.com site will come with these
> results already baked in. Before implementing in your own applications,
> you'll be able to see the top results for your favorite queries your self.
>
> The Search team is always working on ways of making results more
> relevant. We recognize that not everyone wants search results with
> algorithmic ranking of tweets, but we like what we've come up with and we
> think you'll like it too.
>
> Taylor Singletary

> Developer Advocate, Twitterhttp://twitter.com/episod

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Mar 19, 2010, 4:32:06 PM3/19/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com, Dewald Pretorius, Twitter Development Talk
As a developer, I've got my foot in (at least) two communities:
Twitter developers and on-line marketing practitioners. Given that, I
think this discussion needs to happen in a larger forum than the
Twitter Developers' Google Group. I've put up a blog post and created
a hashtag (#tweetsearchpop), and I'd like to invite you all to
participate that way - I'm prepared to man the comment monitoring
dashboard ;-)

http://borasky-research.net/2010/03/19/seeker-or-seller-what-do-you-think-about-adding-popularity-to-twitter-search-tweetsearchpop/
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net/m-edward-ed-borasky/

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdos

Quoting Dewald Pretorius <dpr...@gmail.com>:

> twitter-development-talk+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to

Jaanus

Mar 19, 2010, 8:19:27 PM3/19/10
to Twitter Development Talk
+1 to Cameron and funkatron. Making this default, even with a
transition period, would be extremely bad practice. The whole point of
API versioning is such that old stuff does not break. And yes,
changing behavior so that results returned to same query are suddenly
different is definitely "breaking."

I find popular tweets in search results mixed with recents to be a
great idea, but it cannot be the default, since it would break many
apps that have relied on current behavior. And having whatever
transition period is not good enough. You are forcing developers to
change priorities and re-test old stuff, some of which may be
unmaintained legacy.

API versioning and backwards compatibility are standard industry
practices, just please stick to those and don't piss off developers
any further. (I could insert a more elaborate rant here to show what I
really feel, but the above captures the point.)

rgds,
Jaanus

>   Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems *www.floodgap.com* ckai...@floodgap.com

Martin Dudek

Mar 19, 2010, 8:43:08 PM3/19/10
to Twitter Development Talk
+1 for asking for keeping the default as it is right now (should be
clear really strange to even discuss this)

S Wang

Mar 19, 2010, 9:33:30 PM3/19/10
to Twitter Development Talk
As someone who's developing some applications right now specifically
involving the search APIs I now have to worry about whether or not I
should pre-emptively include the result_type parameter so my app
doesn't become non-functioning when the changes are pushed to the
site. Why do the popular tweets have to be the default behavior in the
API?

On Mar 19, 7:42 am, funkatron <funkat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So this would change the default behavior of the search API, which is
> currently to return "recent" results?
>
> If so, I think that's a bad idea. Better to offer the option than to
> change existing behavior when possible.
>
> --

> Ed Finklerhttp://funkatron.com

> Twitter:@funkatron
> AIM: funka7ron
> ICQ: 3922133

> XMPP:funkat...@gmail.com

Nigel Legg

Mar 20, 2010, 5:19:00 AM3/20/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Agreed - default sould be recentness, popularity  - however it is defined - and we could go into a long sidetrack on that which has nothing to do with the api, apart from to just say that different people will have different ideas of how to take the data that comes with a tweet and use ti to calculate the tweet's popularity - should be something that we, the developer community, insert following requests from our users, not something "one size fits all" handed down from twitter.
I think twitter is fantastic, but sometimes they make a bad decision.  This is one of them.

@dbbradle

Mar 30, 2010, 6:46:30 PM3/30/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Can you provide us with a time line for when this is going to be
rolled out?

wrote:

> Your questions so far have been great and we're listening.
>
> I wanted to let everyone know that when we do roll this out, it will be such
> that developers will "opt-in" to receiving Top Tweets in their results for
> the first month or so of the feature rollout. After the trial transition
> period is complete, we'll enable this feature by default. You will have time
> to adjust.
>
> Taylor Singletary

> Developer Advocate, Twitterhttp://twitter.com/episod

Taylor Singletary

Mar 30, 2010, 7:14:04 PM3/30/10
to twitter-development-talk
Hi all,

This will be rolling out either later this week or early next. I'll be providing you with more details as the release approaches.

I wanted to give a head's up that while the "top tweets" feature will be opt-in at rollout, the addition of the new fields to the XML and JSON returns of the search API are going to be rolled out globally for all API-based search results.

If you have a fragile implementation that relies on only specific fields being present in the JSON or XML returns, or a specific ordering of fields, you'll likely want to move on to a more robust implementation. I'll be providing more details on the formats of these fields in a forthcoming post.

In JSON, the new parent field will be called "metadata" and in turn will contain more key value pairs, like the new result_type field already discussed.
   "metadata": { "result_type": "recent" }

In XML, the parent node for these new fields will be located within twitter:metadata :
   <twitter:metadata>
     <twitter:result_type>popular</twitter:result_type>
   </twitter:meta>

We're really excited about this release. More details soon!

Taylor Singletary
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/episod

Abraham Williams

Mar 30, 2010, 7:25:55 PM3/30/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Has there been any consideration to including popular flag in the REST API as well?

Abraham
--
Abraham Williams | Community Advocate | http://abrah.am
Digri | Your network just got hotter | http://digri.net

Cameron Kaiser

Mar 30, 2010, 8:08:47 PM3/30/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> I wanted to give a head's up that while the "top tweets" feature will
> be *opt-in* at rollout,

What was the eventual decision on keeping sorted-by-time the default
for Search API results?

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com

-- Queen, you shall be it if you wish/Look for your king -- Pink Floyd --------