Alert: "Twitpocalypse II" coming Friday, September 11th - make sure you can handle large status IDs!

Alex Payne

Sep 9, 2009, 2:49:23 PM9/9/09
to Twitter Development Talk, twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com
As mentioned previously, the Twitter operations team will artificially
increase the maximum status ID to 4294967296 this coming Friday,
September 11th. This action is part of routine database upgrades and
maintenance.

If your Twitter API application stores status IDs, please be sure that
your datastore is configured to handle integers of that size. Thanks.

--
Alex Payne - Platform Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x

Hwee-Boon Yar

Sep 9, 2009, 3:13:02 PM9/9/09
to Twitter Development Talk
May I know when and where was it mentioned that it will be
artificially increased this coming Friday?

--
Hwee-Boon

Alex Payne

Sep 9, 2009, 4:00:31 PM9/9/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, an error in phrasing. It was previously mentioned that this
change was pending. We had not previously announced a date for the
change.

Normally, we prefer to provide more advance notice where possible, but
I'm letting you all know immediately after our operations team
informed me that it was necessary to make this change on Friday.

Richard

Sep 9, 2009, 5:42:59 PM9/9/09
to Twitter Development Talk
I note that this is when Twestival (http://twestival.com/) is on so a
lot of developers maybe at events while this happens

Nicholas Moline

Sep 9, 2009, 6:29:08 PM9/9/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
And nobody thought about the significance of accelerating anything called a *pocolypse to be on the anniversary of a date that thousands died in a terrorist attack.... Tactful Twitter... Real Tactful

Dossy Shiobara

Sep 9, 2009, 6:44:53 PM9/9/09
On 9/9/09 6:29 PM, Nicholas Moline wrote:
> And nobody thought about the significance of accelerating anything
> called a *pocolypse to be on the anniversary of a date that thousands
> died in a terrorist attack.... Tactful Twitter... Real Tactful

Now, now - this is the Twitpocalypse, not the Twittocaust.

--
Dossy Shiobara | do...@panoptic.com | http://dossy.org/
Panoptic Computer Network | http://panoptic.com/

Joseph Cheek

Sep 9, 2009, 6:45:40 PM9/9/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Twitter is in league with Al Qaida! You heard it first here, folks!

Ok, seriously, this message I wrote wasn't worth the electrons it took
to transmit it... let's see if I can increase the s2n ratio:

4294967296, that an unsigned 32-bit int? ok, fair enough. i know some
of my apps use signed 64bit ints, but i'm not sure about the db... will
need to check... might be signed32...

Joseph Cheek
jos...@cheek.com, www.cheek.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/cheekdotcom

Nicholas Moline wrote:
> And nobody thought about the significance of accelerating anything
> called a *pocolypse to be on the anniversary of a date that thousands
> died in a terrorist attack.... Tactful Twitter... Real Tactful
>
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Alex Payne <al...@twitter.com
> <mailto:al...@twitter.com>> wrote:
>

> Sorry, an error in phrasing. It was previously mentioned that this
> change was pending. We had not previously announced a date for the
> change.
>
> Normally, we prefer to provide more advance notice where possible, but
> I'm letting you all know immediately after our operations team
> informed me that it was necessary to make this change on Friday.
>
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 12:13, Hwee-Boon Yar<hwee...@gmail.com
> <mailto:hwee...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > May I know when and where was it mentioned that it will be
> > artificially increased this coming Friday?
> >
> > --
> > Hwee-Boon
> >
> > On Sep 10, 2:49 am, Alex Payne <a...@twitter.com

JDG

Sep 9, 2009, 11:21:42 PM9/9/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
if you were on signed32 you'd have had a problem a long time ago. not quite sure why people haven't just taken to treating/storing as strings -- sure there's a bit more overhead mem/storage-wise, but you don't have to change your code every few months.
--
Internets. Serious business.

Rob Ashton

Sep 10, 2009, 2:12:53 AM9/10/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I've always just stored as 64bit integers, I'd assumed that 32bit wouldn't be enough.

Now, if it goes above 64bit then I'm screwed, because neither my language or database have built in support for that! :P

Ted Neward

Sep 10, 2009, 2:23:55 AM9/10/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
What is the documented range for status IDs? (How high can they go?)

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services
Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writing
http://www.tedneward.com

Rich

Sep 10, 2009, 6:32:27 AM9/10/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Seeing as 32bit signed was 2,147,483,647 and 32bit unsigned is
4,294,967,295

And 64bit signed is 9,223,372,036,854,775,807, I'd say we're safe for
a good little while yet!

On Sep 10, 7:23 am, "Ted Neward" <ted.new...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the documented range for status IDs? (How high can they go?)
>
> Ted Neward
> Java, .NET, XML Services
> Consulting, Teaching, Speaking, Writinghttp://www.tedneward.com

JDG

Sep 10, 2009, 8:48:49 AM9/10/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
and if they are, just store the twos complement of the ID in the DB and do the math when you retrieve if it's negative. :)
--
Internets. Serious business.

Ivan Kirigin

Sep 10, 2009, 12:10:32 PM9/10/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Call me crazy, but I store any data from a 3rd party in strings.
Typically, I used a text blob to store some serialized object (like
json or a python pickle) which maximizes flexibility. For the tweet
id, I think I used 64 chars.

In about 10 years, after I've cleared all the other higher priority
and more impactful optimizations, I might think about dealing with
this again.

Ivan
http://kirigin.com

On Sep 10, 5:48 am, JDG <ghil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> and if they are, just store the twos complement of the ID in the DB and do
> the math when you retrieve if it's negative. :)
>

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 00:12, Rob Ashton <robash...@codeofrob.com> wrote:
> >  I've always just stored as 64bit integers, I'd assumed that 32bit
> > wouldn't be enough.
>
> > Now, if it goes above 64bit then I'm screwed, because neither my language
> > or database have built in support for that! :P

Ryan Sarver

Sep 11, 2009, 12:27:07 PM9/11/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
To give everyone an update --

We have been able to work with our operations team to delay the forced
update until around September 21st or 22nd (over a week away). Since
this twitpocalypse is based on the tweet count, it is impossible to
predict exactly when it will happen and therefore we can only make
projections based on current usage and possible spikes. With that
being said, it *could* happen as early as Sept 16th (Wednesday), so
please start updating your applications now to handle the change. We
will be able to give you better estimates as the event moves closer
and we will be sure to update the list when we know the exact time of
the update.

Let us know if you have any questions and be sure to stock up on water
and non-perishable goods :)

Ryan

Hwee-Boon Yar

Sep 11, 2009, 1:27:04 PM9/11/09
to Twitter Development Talk
One suggestion: similar to API changes, it seems more appropriate that
if you want to force it, to do it earlier in the week, starting
Monday, rather than Friday. That leaves enough resources and hands to
stock up water and non-perishable goods rather than on a Friday.

--
Hwee-Boon

Ryan Sarver

Sep 11, 2009, 3:00:41 PM9/11/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hwee-Boon,

That is definitely part of the plan and hence why we are aiming for
that Monday / Tuesday. We know what a strain it can be to push stuff
out at the end of the week.

Best, Ryan

Martin Dufort

Sep 21, 2009, 8:45:01 AM9/21/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Ryan: Is this still scheduled for today or tomorrow ?

Thanks
Martin Dufort
www.wherecloud.com

On Sep 11, 3:00 pm, Ryan Sarver <rsar...@twitter.com> wrote:
> Hwee-Boon,
>
> That is definitely part of the plan and hence why we are aiming for
> that Monday / Tuesday. We know what a strain it can be to push stuff
> out at the end of the week.
>
> Best, Ryan
>

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Hwee-Boon Yar <hweeb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > One suggestion: similar to API changes, it seems more appropriate that
> > if you want to force it, to do it earlier in the week, starting
> > Monday, rather than Friday. That leaves enough resources and hands to
> > stock up water and non-perishable goods rather than on a Friday.
>
> > --
> > Hwee-Boon
>
> > On Sep 12, 12:27 am, Ryan Sarver <rsar...@twitter.com> wrote:
> >> To give everyone an update --
>
> >> We have been able to work with our operations team to delay the forced
> >> update until around September 21st or 22nd (over a week away). Since
> >> thistwitpocalypseis based on the tweet count, it is impossible to

twittme_mobi

Sep 22, 2009, 5:47:32 AM9/22/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Hopefully with php and no database i should not worry about this...