Problems Loading Profile Images

Ron

Jul 20, 2010, 10:59:10 PM7/20/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Anyone noticing problems loading profile images (slow, no image
returned, hanging...)? Seems to show up mostly on Public and Search
endpoints.

luisg

Jul 21, 2010, 8:35:34 AM7/21/10
to Twitter Development Talk
I'm having the same problem too... But just sometimes.
Anyway, looks like Twitter is better now... At least is not so slow as
was a couple of weeks ago.

Taylor Singletary

Jul 21, 2010, 3:08:04 PM7/21/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

We had some issues with profile updates and image uploads last week
and early this week. Some images uploaded in that time period resulted
in incorrect image URLs, and while this should now be fixed for more
recently updated/created images, those with avatars saved while in
this state will likely remain in that state until they re-upload their
image.

What kind of percentages are you seeing in regards to missing/broken images?

Taylor

Ron

Jul 21, 2010, 4:14:26 PM7/21/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Not seen it happen at all anymore since corrections were made.

On Jul 21, 2:08 pm, Taylor Singletary <taylorsinglet...@twitter.com>
wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> We had some issues with profile updates and image uploads last week
> and early this week. Some images uploaded in that time period resulted
> in incorrect image URLs, and while this should now be fixed for more
> recently updated/created images, those with avatars saved while in
> this state will likely remain in that state until they re-upload their
> image.
>
> What kind of percentages are you seeing in regards to missing/broken images?
>
> Taylor

Ron

Jul 21, 2010, 11:12:03 PM7/21/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Same problem seems to be back - slow/no profile image downloads.

Taylor Singletary

Jul 22, 2010, 11:29:47 AM7/22/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
If possible, can you send along member ids or screen names, and if
possible, an HTTP capture of the image download attempt?

Thanks!
Taylor

Ron

Jul 22, 2010, 11:42:34 AM7/22/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Right now it all seems back to working normally again. I'll look at
it again late this afternoon about the same time I saw the issue
yesterday. Perhaps it's time related. If it occurs again, I'll take
some captures and send them along.

On Jul 22, 10:29 am, Taylor Singletary <taylorsinglet...@twitter.com>
wrote:
> If possible, can you send along member ids or screen names, and if
> possible, an HTTP capture of the image download attempt?
>
> Thanks!
> Taylor

Ron

Jul 22, 2010, 7:36:25 PM7/22/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi Taylor,

Tried again this afternoon and operation appears normal, except for an
occasional profile image not loading. I find about 1 out of 200. An
example is "hiro07118".

Ron

Ron

Jul 22, 2010, 9:28:08 PM7/22/10
to Twitter Development Talk
So it looks like the problem is back, and perhaps time sensitive.
Servers affected are a0, a1, and a3.twing.com. Problem is no response
from server. URLs all look ok, but a few perhaps very long (i.e.
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/598514017/l_58bce087ff00416383ca2b5595036c90_normal.jpg).

Bob

Jul 25, 2010, 7:24:54 AM7/25/10
to Twitter Development Talk
We are also seeing that the issue with profile image updates returning
a 200OK but not updating the image has returned.

Please advise if you are aware of the problem / if you are working on
it.

Bob

Founder
Twibbon.com

On Jul 23, 2:28 am, Ron <rbther...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So it looks like the problem is back, and perhaps time sensitive.
> Servers affected are a0, a1, and a3.twing.com.  Problem is no response
> from server. URLs all look ok, but a few perhaps very long (i.e.http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/598514017/l_58bce087ff00416383ca2b...).
>
> On Jul 22,e 6:36 pm, Ron <rbther...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Taylor,
>
> > Tried again this afternoon and operation appears normal, except for an
> > occasionalprofileimage not loading. I find about 1 out of 200. An
> > example is "hiro07118".
>
> > Ron
>
> > On Jul 22, 10:42 am, Ron <rbther...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Right now it all seems back to working normally again.  I'll look at
> > > it again late this afternoon about the same time I saw the issue
> > > yesterday. Perhaps it's time related.  If it occurs again, I'll take
> > > some captures and send them along.

nei...@googlemail.com

Aug 12, 2010, 11:38:15 AM8/12/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Yep I am seeing same problem. API return OK, but no update is made.
Any movement on this, are twitter guys aware of the issue ?

@MyAvatars
Neil Pepper

Thanks

On Jul 25, 12:24 pm, Bob <movingforwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are also seeing that the issue withprofileimage updates returning

Matt Harris

Aug 12, 2010, 3:49:28 PM8/12/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

We're tracking this issue on our bug tracker. In that thread there are a number of examples and solutions that have helped users, as well as an explanation of how the asynchronous processing affects what is happening.

Im summary. the reason the old avatar profile image URL is being returned is because we haven't yet processed the uploaded image. This is because images which are uploaded are processed asynchronous instead of during the POST request. What this means is the profile image URL only gets updated when, and if, the image conversion is successful. For developers this means a few things:

1) A 200 OK from an image upload means we received the file, it doesn't mean the profile image was updated successfully.
2) To know if the image upload was successful developers need to either:
  a) query /1/users/profile_image/:screen_name and cache the URL you are redirected to (more details: http://dev.twitter.com/doc/get/users/profile_image/:screen_name)
  b) wait until the next time you call /1/account/verify_credentials
In both cases if the image URL is different the profile image was successfully updated.
3) If the URL doesn't change the profile image update was unsuccessful.

This isn't ideal we know. What I can tell you is we have engineers working on improving this and providing a more reliable way for you to find out if the image was successfully updated or not.

Hope that explains the situation more clearly for you. As we have news we'll update the developer list as well as the public ticket on our Google Code project:

Matt

--

Matt Harris
Developer Advocate, Twitter