Draft: Twitter Rules for API Use

已查看 4 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Marcel Molina

未读,
2009年9月10日 19:58:182009/9/10
收件人 twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com、twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
To accompany our updated Terms of Service (http://bit.ly/2ZXsyW) we've
posted a draft of the Twitter API rules at
http://twitter.com/apirules. As the subject states, these rules are a
work in progress and feedback is welcome. Please read the TOS
announcement at http://bit.ly/2ZXsyW for some background. We encourage
you to use the "contact us" link at http://twitter.com/apirules with
any feedback you may have.

--
Marcel Molina
Twitter Platform Team

Dewald Pretorius

未读,
2009年9月10日 20:50:182009/9/10
收件人 Twitter Development Talk
I expected to see more along the lines of rules of which the violation
would cause a blacklisting of the app.

No problems with what is in the draft at present.

Dewald

Dean Collins

未读,
2009年9月10日 20:50:262009/9/10
收件人 twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com、twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com
No offence but can you please post these 'draft' rules along with the
current API rules.

Sorry if I sound 'overtly suspicious' but as you can imagine I'm a
little wary of anything that twitter inc says at the moment and would
like to have all of the rules in a single location as it causes
confusion for developers and twitter alike (oh and twitters lawyers as
well .....).

Regards,
Dean Collins
de...@MyTwitterButler.com

Dewald Pretorius

未读,
2009年9月10日 20:54:372009/9/10
收件人 Twitter Development Talk
Dean,

That's basically what I meant. We know those are not the only rules,
so the other rules should also in the draft, shouldn't they?

Dewald

On Sep 10, 9:50 pm, "Dean Collins" <D...@cognation.net> wrote:
> No offence but can you please post these 'draft' rules along with the
> current API rules.
>
> Sorry if I sound 'overtly suspicious' but as you can imagine I'm a
> little wary of anything that twitter inc says at the moment and would
> like to have all of the rules in a single location as it causes
> confusion for developers and twitter alike (oh and twitters lawyers as
> well .....).
>
> Regards,
> Dean Collins
> d...@MyTwitterButler.com

Jesse Stay

未读,
2009年9月10日 21:10:142009/9/10
收件人 twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
This is great news!  Regarding "sending Tweets on a user's behalf", does that refer to DMs as well, and when seeking permission, must it be on a "tweet-by-tweet" basis, or can a user give you permission beforehand to have complete control over Tweeting on their behalf?  I'd like to see that part clarified more.

Thanks,

Jesse

Dean Collins

未读,
2009年9月10日 21:16:242009/9/10
收件人 twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com

Yep exactly – having ALL of the rules clearly spelled out will save confusion.

It's probably an automatic suspension because the twittersphere went crazy today talking about the Titans V's Steelers game tonight but my @LiveNFLchat twitter account has been suspended this afternoon even though I followed all of the Twitter API rules for 24 hour follow limits.

Like I said it’s probably an automated suspension but it’s hard not to feel that someone singled this account out because of my use of MyTwitterButler for the first time in 2 weeks.

I’m holding off raising hell with the press and going public for 24 hours and hopefully someone at twitter re-activates the account but this yet another example of why twitter needs to implement commercial high volume accounts asap.

Regards,

Dean Collins
Live Chat Concepts Inc
De...@LiveChatConcepts.com
+1-212-203-4357   New York
+61-2-9016-5642   (
Sydney in-dial).
+44-20-3129-6001 (
London in-dial).

image001.jpg

Dewald Pretorius

未读,
2009年9月10日 21:35:172009/9/10
收件人 Twitter Development Talk
Jesse,

I know where you are heading with this. ;-)

If a user explicitly activates a feature in an app that sends DMs on
their behalf, they at that point explicitly grants the app permission
to do so.

Dewald

On Sep 10, 10:10 pm, Jesse Stay <jesses...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is great news!  Regarding "sending Tweets on a user's behalf", does
> that refer to DMs as well, and when seeking permission, must it be on a
> "tweet-by-tweet" basis, or can a user give you permission beforehand to have
> complete control over Tweeting on their behalf?  I'd like to see that part
> clarified more.
> Thanks,
>
> Jesse

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Marcel Molina <mar...@twitter.com> wrote:
>
> > To accompany our updated Terms of Service (http://bit.ly/2ZXsyW) we've
> > posted a draft of the Twitter API rules at
> >http://twitter.com/apirules. As the subject states, these rules are a
> > work in progress and feedback is welcome. Please read the TOS
> > announcement athttp://bit.ly/2ZXsyWfor some background. We encourage

Jesse Stay

未读,
2009年9月10日 21:37:592009/9/10
收件人 twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Dewald, I'm not heading anywhere with it. I just want Twitter to clarify the terms, that's all.  Feel free to leave your input if you have an opinion on what those details should be.

Jesse

Dewald Pretorius

未读,
2009年9月10日 21:47:062009/9/10
收件人 Twitter Development Talk
Jesse,

I apologize. Then I made incorrect assumptions. I thought you saw it
as the potential Excalibur in the fight against auto-DMs.

In my case, not only does the user activate the feature, he also
provides the exact text that must be sent. Not only is that express
consent, it is express instruction.

Dewald

PJB

未读,
2009年9月10日 23:38:572009/9/10
收件人 Twitter Development Talk

This document needs further detail, specifics, and allowances.

1. "Identify the user that authored or provided the Tweet"

What do you mean by this? Presumably the author of the tweet is the
person for whom the tweet appears on Twitter.com and who therefore
actually made the tweet or authorized it, right? Isn't that
sufficient?

Or do you mean, say, that all those "vampire bite" tweets must
identify that they come from vampiresRus.com (or wherever) IN THE
TWEET ITSELF? Does a source parameter count as identification, or
must the tweet itself contain separate identification along with the
content of the tweet?

2. "Maintain the integrity of Tweets and not edit or revise them."

Wait, we can edit tweets?!

I think you need to be more precise with your language and definitions
here. In my mind, a "tweet" is something that appears on Twitter.com,
and isn't something which may soon appear on Twitter.com. If Barack
Obama says a sentence, it isn't a tweet until it is on Twitter.com.

Furthermore, you should get rid of the part where it says "edit or
revise". It is sufficient to say integrity, particularly as new
transformational tools come on line. For example, if a user queues up
tweets and indicates that he wishes for them to be translated into
Klingon prior to their tweeting, that does constitute "edits and
revisions" to those tweets. But presumably this is acceptable as the
user has approved such transformation.

Similarly, I think you need to account for the fact that many
applications allow the user to approve action-based Tweets where there
is no actual "text" to approve. For example, the Firefox add-ons that
let me tweet a particular URL, or one that lets me tweet stock trades
I am making, etc. In these cases, I have approved the method to
create the tweet (that I press a button and the URL and Title of the
page I am on will be tweeted), but I haven't explicitly approved the
text of that URL/title (nor would I want to go through that hassle).

I would reword the section, then, as something like: "Maintain the
integrity of the user-approved text to be tweeted, or the process by
which the text to be tweeted is created; and do not edit or revise
said text, except where the user has specifically approved such
transformations."

3. "Get each user's consent before sending Tweets or other messages
on their behalf. A user authenticating with your application does not
constitute consent to send a message."

Okay, so what DOES constitute consent? A checkbox that defaults to
'on' with the Tweet? Or a checkbox that defaults to 'off' and which
the user can turn on? What about if the user agrees to a long small-
type contract wherein it stipulates that the app can tweet on their
behalf (yet which the user most likely hasn't fully read)? I think
instead of defining what DOESN"T constitute consent, you should give
examples of what does constitute consent.

On Sep 10, 4:58 pm, Marcel Molina <mar...@twitter.com> wrote:
> To accompany our updated Terms of Service (http://bit.ly/2ZXsyW) we've
> posted a draft of the Twitter API rules athttp://twitter.com/apirules. As the subject states, these rules are a
> work in progress and feedback is welcome. Please read the TOS
> announcement athttp://bit.ly/2ZXsyWfor some background. We encourage

Dewald Pretorius

未读,
2009年9月11日 08:43:162009/9/11
收件人 Twitter Development Talk
I guess the lawyers wrote this draft as an extension of the modified
Twitter TOS.

Alex, you will need to jump on this draft from a dizzy height and get
all your Platform rules in there.

Once the API Rules are published as "The Rules" you will have no
grounds to blacklist an application for other than what is written in
"The Rules". Unless the rules also state that, "we can blacklist an
app for any other reason as we deem fit," which will fly like a lead
balloon.

If the rules are not clear and comprehensive, they will become a ball
and chain around the ankles of the Platform team.

Dewald

Dean Collins

未读,
2009年9月11日 10:21:152009/9/11
收件人 twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com

Yep, this  "we can blacklist an app for any other reason as we deem fit," stuff is fine but don’t expect other 3rd party developers to play along.

I’ve been trying to get an “exact number of people you can delete from a following” in 24 hours without risking your twitter account from the tech support team following the suspension of my @LiveNFLchat account, no one seems to know/be prepared to state a number.

We’re happy to play by the rules, just spell out what those rules clearly are.

Regards,

Dean Collins
Live Chat Concepts Inc
De...@LiveChatConcepts.com