Rate Limit on Unfollows?

Jesse Stay

Jun 18, 2009, 5:36:36 PM6/18/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Is it true that there is now a rate limit on number of unfollows per day? One of my users said that your support rep is telling them they risk suspension if they go over 500 unfollows a day.  Might be worth an announcement if that is the case so we can share that with our users...

If I can suggest against this, or perhaps another solution (or an exception for certain cases), one of the services I offer is the ability to remove all of your friends at once.  This is something Loic Lemeur and others have done, and I think some times some people just want to start over.  With a 500/day limit it may be near impossible for some people to remove all their friends at once.

A better solution to kill spam, as I mentioned before, is to remove the follow limits and ratios on people that are already following an individual before that individual follows them, and increase the limits (I think 200 per day would be fine) for people trying to follow those that aren't already following them.  I would leave out the unfollow limits due to the reasons specified, and they would be unnecessary with the limit rules I mentioned.

Jesse

Doug Williams

Jun 18, 2009, 5:47:48 PM6/18/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
There is no limit to the number of unfollows. Using software to constantly churn followers in a repeated pattern of following and unfollowing will however risk suspension.

Thanks,
Doug

Jesse Stay

Jun 18, 2009, 5:54:17 PM6/18/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Doug, thanks - that makes total sense, and I agree with you there.

Jesse

IDOLpeeps

Aug 11, 2009, 12:47:34 AM8/11/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Doug,

Can you specify what constitutes a PATTERN of following and
unfollowing (in terms of the number of follows/unfollows per day, the
nature of the accounts unfollowed such as whether they follow back or
not, etc.)? I am aware of accounts that were suspended for
"restarting" by removing all their friends the day after following a
bunch of people, but which behavior was hardly a pattern.

Thanks