http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline.json returning a 301 error?

FFMG

Aug 31, 2007, 9:05:10 AM8/31/07
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi,

Maybe I missed an API update somewhere overnight, but I noticed that
http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline.json is no longer working.

It is returning a 301 error, (redirecting to itself :-\).

Am I missing something? Or is something on my side broken?

Thanks

http://www.journalhome.com/
http://twitter.com/JournalHome/

Xenophod

Aug 31, 2007, 11:02:08 AM8/31/07
to Twitter Development Talk
Works for me.....

On Aug 31, 9:05 am, FFMG <spambuc...@myoddweb.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Maybe I missed an API update somewhere overnight, but I noticed thathttp://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline.jsonis no longer working.

FFMG

Aug 31, 2007, 11:28:01 AM8/31/07
to Twitter Development Talk
> Works for me.....

So you can authenticate and get data from that site?

BTW, mu user name and password is right.

FFMG

Justin Williams

Aug 31, 2007, 12:38:04 PM8/31/07
to Twitter Development Talk
PocketTweets is getting 301 redirects as well. I'm using XML instead
of JSON, however. Its throwing the redirect on all of the timelines
I'm using (public, user, friends).

-
Justin Williams
Owner, Second Gear
http://www.secondgearllc.com/

Alex Payne

Aug 31, 2007, 12:52:08 PM8/31/07
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Last night we changed the way requests are routed from our load
balancer to our cluster of web servers. We're still ironing out some
kinks. The 301 is not an application-level change.

--
Alex Payne
http://twitter.com/al3x

Justin Williams

Aug 31, 2007, 5:05:38 PM8/31/07

On Aug 31, 11:52 am, "Alex Payne" <a...@al3x.net> wrote:
> Last night we changed the way requests are routed from our load
> balancer to our cluster of web servers. We're still ironing out some
> kinks. The 301 is not an application-level change.

Thanks for the update. Is there anything I can do on my end to
alleviate the issue? Seems like some API apps (Hahlo and
Twitterrific) are working, whereas others aren't.

- j

ma...@michael-reese.de

Aug 31, 2007, 5:51:52 PM8/31/07
to Twitter Development Talk

Any news on this topic? I'm using the rss version and i still get the
301.

- Mitschi

Alex Payne

Aug 31, 2007, 6:46:17 PM8/31/07
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Not sure yet, we'll let you know.

marc_...@hotmail.com

Aug 31, 2007, 11:04:57 PM8/31/07
to Twitter Development Talk
Any update? I'm using a WordPress blog with a popular Twitter plug-
in.

I can logon to my Twitter account just fine. But I'm trying to see if
the plug-in has an issue or Twitter?

It was working yesterday and today, just quit. I checked again and am
getting the same error. Now I know this group isn't here to support
WordPress or my plug-ins but I am just curious if the issue above is
resolved?

If not, I can keep checking. But if it has, then I need to go back
and find out why the plug-in is not working.

On Aug 31, 3:46 pm, "Alex Payne" <a...@al3x.net> wrote:
> Not sure yet, we'll let you know.

xxdesmus

Sep 1, 2007, 8:55:32 AM9/1/07
to Twitter Development Talk
Same issue here, I'm using a copy of Twitter Tools v1.0, and itjust
stopped updating 2 days ago. If I test the login info is says it
failed.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like major changes to the API are
something that should be announced to developers in some fairly
obvious way. Maybe I'm wrong.

marc_...@hotmail.com

Sep 1, 2007, 12:50:40 PM9/1/07
to Twitter Development Talk
No.. I don't think you are wrong. Mine just quite working. Logon
error.

But going to Twitter itself or using the Facebook app works just fine.

I think Twitter changed something and Alex who wrote my WordPress plug-
in doesn't see the problem yet or enough people haven't said it's
broken for him to fix it.

des...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2007, 2:10:31 PM9/1/07
to Twitter Development Talk
I am pretty sure is well aware of the problem and can't do anything
about it. He posted this a few hours ago:

http://alexking.org/blog/2007/09/01/twitter-tools-broken

While he doesn't look to be pointing fingers he does say that it's
currently out of his hands. My frustration is the fact that if there
is a problem (which we all know there is) and twitter changed
something, then why didn't they (a) tell people - at least the
developers - that they were making changes and to expect some trouble
and (b) come out after the changes were made once they started hearing
that issues were arising and post something acknowledging the problem
instead of making people have to ask them.

It's not life ending, but it does suck.

kda...@firehorseinvestments.com

Sep 1, 2007, 3:07:14 PM9/1/07
to Twitter Development Talk
There was a problem mentioned on the Twitter blog with problems
posting through
Twitter.com itself. It may be related, since it was mentioned that a
301 redirect
is occuring. If you go to any url with www.twitter.com it redirects
to the url without
the www. I looked at the Twitter tools code, and it is not using the
www prefix.

It could be used in the API called on the Twitter side. Those of you
that are using the
XML instead of JSON is www included in your url to the XML file?

Kevin

Blaine Cook

Sep 1, 2007, 3:40:43 PM9/1/07
to Twitter Development Talk
Hey all,

for those still seeing 301 Redirects, please use HTTP/1.1 if possible.
We're working on getting a fix out, but as long as you're making HTTP/
1.1 requests to "twitter.com", you shouldn't see any problems.

We'll keep you posted. I hope to have this resolved within the hour.

Blaine
http://twitter.com/blaine/

On Sep 1, 12:07 pm, kda...@firehorseinvestments.com wrote:
> There was a problem mentioned on the Twitter blog with problems
> posting through
> Twitter.com itself. It may be related, since it was mentioned that a
> 301 redirect

> is occuring. If you go to any url withwww.twitter.comit redirects

marc_...@hotmail.com

Sep 1, 2007, 5:23:23 PM9/1/07
to Twitter Development Talk
Awesome! Blaine and crew must have fixed it because now I can use
Twitter Tools to login.

It appears to be working. Thank you (both Twitter and Alex) for
seeing the issue and resolving it.

On Sep 1, 12:40 pm, Blaine Cook <rom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> for those still seeing 301 Redirects, please use HTTP/1.1 if possible.
> We're working on getting a fix out, but as long as you're making HTTP/
> 1.1 requests to "twitter.com", you shouldn't see any problems.
>
> We'll keep you posted. I hope to have this resolved within the hour.
>

> Blainehttp://twitter.com/blaine/

Jeremy

Sep 1, 2007, 5:25:21 PM9/1/07
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi there,

I've just finished confirming and I believe fixing the issue on the
twitter.side.

Previously, we did not filter incoming requests based on HTTP host:
headers.

Now, that is one of the mechanisms we use to make sure your request
get's to the right place.

Some of the API consumers appear to be sending nothing in the HTTP
host: header, while others were sending perfectly spec legitimate
host:twitter.com:80, which I had not accounted for when I configured
the filter.

Needless to say I'm very sorry for the inconvenience and happy to say
that almost all API requests are now working without redirects.

If you experience any further complications please don't hesitate to
let us know.

Jeremy
twitter operations
http://twitter.com/jeremy/

FFMG

Sep 2, 2007, 3:25:34 AM9/2/07
to Twitter Development Talk

> I've just finished confirming and I believe fixing the issue on the
> twitter.side.

Yep, all working fine here

Thanks

FFMG