Loose ends for List and Retweet APIs

Marcel Molina

Dec 18, 2009, 2:09:17 PM12/18/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
There are some loose ends that need to be tied up in both the List and Retweet APIs to round out the feature set and fix some bugs. I want to crank these all out. So here is a little list I've been building. Please add what I've left out and you think is missing.

Retweet:
* add retweet_count to every status representation
* support paging through the resource that returns all retweets for a given tweet
* don't require authentication for *most* read only resources

List:
* on a user representation, show list count, list memberships count and list subscriptions count
* don't require authentication on read only resources
* expose a list of ids for a list's members and subscribers (this change will go hand in hand with a new bulk user lookup resource where you provide a list of ids and get back a list of user representations)
* count parameter for status timelines of a list appears to do nothing

Many other things I'm sure...

--
Marcel Molina
Twitter Platform Team

Brendan

Dec 18, 2009, 5:47:12 PM12/18/09
to Twitter Development Talk
It would be good to be able to get retweets in a user's timeline. If
that is not possible for backwards compatibility reasons, is it
possible to have a function such as retweets_by_user which has similar
semantics to retweets_by_me, except we can specify the user whose
retweets are being retrieved (requiring appropriate authentication for
protected users, of course)?

Thanks!

Cameron Kaiser

Dec 18, 2009, 6:08:19 PM12/18/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> It would be good to be able to get retweets in a user's timeline. If
> that is not possible for backwards compatibility reasons, is it
> possible to have a function such as retweets_by_user which has similar
> semantics to retweets_by_me, except we can specify the user whose
> retweets are being retrieved (requiring appropriate authentication for
> protected users, of course)?

Or, simply a parameter to ask for them optionally? I don't mind this
method, but it requires two calls to assemble a user timeline.

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com
-- The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws. -- Tacitus ---------

Marcel Molina

Dec 18, 2009, 6:38:03 PM12/18/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Or conceivably (though arguably janky) there could be an additional parameter you provide for the user timeline that opts you in to having retweets appear. e.g. ?include_retweets=true

dean.j.robinson

Dec 18, 2009, 6:48:02 PM12/18/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Retweets of Me (http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-REST-API-Method%3A-
statuses-retweets_of_me)
* add details about who retweeted your tweets, only needs to be first
retweeter and a count of total number of times retweeted.

Lists:
* add list details node (eg. same as GET list_id method) to other
lists methods such as 'GET list statuses', 'GET list members', 'GET
list subscribers' - would allow me to replicate the individual 'list
pages' like on twitter.com without the need to make additional api
calls (not a huge issue with the forthcoming rate limit increase.)

John O'Brien

Dec 18, 2009, 7:06:01 PM12/18/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Qd

--
Sent from my mobile device

Cameron Kaiser

Dec 18, 2009, 7:27:07 PM12/18/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> Retweets of Me (http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-REST-API-Method%3A-
> statuses-retweets_of_me)
> * add details about who retweeted your tweets, only needs to be first
> retweeter and a count of total number of times retweeted.

+1

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com

-- Time makes more converts than reason. -- Thomas Payne ----------------------

Cameron Kaiser

Dec 18, 2009, 7:27:28 PM12/18/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> Or conceivably (though arguably janky) there could be an additional
> parameter you provide for the user timeline that opts you in to having
> retweets appear. e.g. ?include_retweets=true

Right, exactly. I would adore this.

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com

-- END OF LINE. ---------------------------------------------------------------

Julio Biason

Dec 19, 2009, 4:34:32 AM12/19/09
On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Cameron Kaiser <spe...@floodgap.com> wrote:
>> Or conceivably (though arguably janky) there could be an additional
>> parameter you provide for the user timeline that opts you in to having
>> retweets appear. e.g. ?include_retweets=true
>
> Right, exactly. I would adore this.

What would be the difference between this and home_timeline (
http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-REST-API-Method%3A-statuses-home_timeline
)?

--
Julio Biason <julio....@gmail.com>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/juliobiason

Brendan

Dec 19, 2009, 6:30:19 PM12/19/09
to Twitter Development Talk
While we're on the matter of suggestions, could someone fix the count
parameter to statuses/retweets? Currently it won't return more than
20, regardless of what count is.

Cameron Kaiser

Dec 20, 2009, 1:21:35 AM12/20/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> >> Or conceivably (though arguably janky) there could be an additional
> >> parameter you provide for the user timeline that opts you in to having
> >> retweets appear. e.g. ?include_retweets=true
> >
> > Right, exactly. I would adore this.
>
> What would be the difference between this and home_timeline (
> http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-REST-API-Method%3A-statuses-home_timeline
> )?

We're talking about user_timeline, not friends_timeline (but I wouldn't
mind this idea being applied to other methods, natch).

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com

-- I had amnesia once -- or twice. --------------------------------------------

Tyson Lowery

Dec 22, 2009, 12:37:46 PM12/22/09
to Twitter Development Talk
> >> Or conceivably (though arguably janky) there could be an additional
> >> parameter you provide for the user timeline that opts you in to having
> >> retweets appear. e.g. ?include_retweets=true

Thank you, this is badly needed!!!

On Dec 19, 10:21 pm, Cameron Kaiser <spec...@floodgap.com> wrote:

> > > Right, exactly. I would adore this.
>
> > What would be the difference between this and home_timeline (

> >http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-REST-API-Method%3A-statuses-home_t...

> > )?
>
> We're talking about user_timeline, not friends_timeline (but I wouldn't
> mind this idea being applied to other methods, natch).
>
> --
> ------------------------------------ personal:http://www.cameronkaiser.com/--

>   Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems *www.floodgap.com* ckai...@floodgap.com

hansamann

Dec 22, 2009, 4:18:54 PM12/22/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi Marcel,

I had once suggested this feature:

* add retweet_count to every status representation

My issue was by placing retweeted statuses once into the home
timeline, my app was no longer able to keep track of retweets over
time. I think even having the retweet_count still does not change
that. Isn't the issue here (at least that's how the home time line
works) that a retweet is just placed once into the timeline. So the
first time a status is retweeted the retweet count would be 1. After
that, and assuming someone is using the user/home timeline the same
status would not be placed twice at the top level... so an app polling
for new tweets adn potentially tracking retweets would never get an
updated retweet count.

Only if you pull the info about that retweet directly you would get
that count. For many of us, this means wasting a request just for
checking the retweet count... we only have 150 per hour.

The only way I hopefully can keep track of retweets, count them, etc.
is by using the streaming API. I am still waiting for an twitter4j
update which hopefully let's me track retweets properly again.

If there is a better way to keep track of retweets of a status over
time, I'd love to hear it.

Cheers
Sven

hansamann

Dec 22, 2009, 4:25:59 PM12/22/09
to Twitter Development Talk
OK, if there is room for change then I'd hope for a parameter like:

?include_duplicate_retweets=true

This would mean that whenever one of my friends retweets a status, I'd
still get a new entry into the home/user time line. It would stop me
from having to listen to the streaming methods to get all retweets
over time. Even better, the retweet_count would provide a lot more
sense to me then. I'd assume the retweet_count reflects all global
retweets of a status. This means my app would both be able to track
how many of my friends retweeted a status compared to all global
retweets (of people I am not or not yet following).

It's christmas, me can haz duplicate_retweets=true?

Thanx
Sven

On Dec 18, 3:38 pm, Marcel Molina <mar...@twitter.com> wrote:
> Or conceivably (though arguably janky) there could be an additional
> parameter you provide for the user timeline that opts you in to having
> retweets appear. e.g. ?include_retweets=true
>

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Cameron Kaiser <spec...@floodgap.com>wrote:
>

> > > It would be good to be able to get retweets in a user's timeline.  If
> > > that is not possible for backwards compatibility reasons, is it
> > > possible to have a function such as retweets_by_user which has similar
> > > semantics to retweets_by_me, except we can specify the user whose
> > > retweets are being retrieved (requiring appropriate authentication for
> > > protected users, of course)?
>
> > Or, simply a parameter to ask for them optionally? I don't mind this
> > method, but it requires two calls to assemble a user timeline.
>
> > --
> > ------------------------------------ personal:
> >http://www.cameronkaiser.com/--
> >  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems *www.floodgap.com*

> > ckai...@floodgap.com

Jeffrey

Jan 17, 2010, 5:22:03 PM1/17/10

On Dec 18 2009, 6:38 pm, Marcel Molina <mar...@twitter.com> wrote:
> Or conceivably (though arguably janky) there could be an additional
> parameter you provide for the user timeline that opts you in to having
> retweets appear. e.g. ?include_retweets=true

Yes... please add this to the API.

It would restore the ability to see retweets for non-authenticated
users.