Twitpocalypse II Update - Scheduled for Tuesday 9/22 at 11:30am PST

Ryan Sarver

Sep 21, 2009, 2:36:43 PM9/21/09
to twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com, Twitter Development Talk
To give everyone another update, we are still on track to trigger
Twitpocalypse II tomorrow (Tuesday 9/22) at 11:30am PST. We are trying
to do it as early in the day as we can on our side to accommodate
developers in other timezones.

For those of you unaware of what the Twitpocalypse is (hopefully no
one by now), Alex previously noted "the Twitter operations team will
artificially increase the maximum status ID to 4294967296 ... If your
Twitter API application stores status IDs, please be sure that your
datastore is configured to handle integers of that size."

A few of us will be available in IRC if you need live support,
otherwise email the list with any questions you may have.

Best, Ryan

Michael Steuer

Sep 21, 2009, 4:22:54 PM9/21/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com, twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com, Twitter Development Talk
With all your developer partners at TC140 tomorrow???

JDG

Sep 21, 2009, 4:42:09 PM9/21/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Why wouldn't said developer partners have updated their code 2 weeks ago when this was announced?
--
Internets. Serious business.

Caliban Darklock

Sep 21, 2009, 4:52:50 PM9/21/09
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 1:42 PM, JDG <ghi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why wouldn't said developer partners have updated their code 2 weeks ago
> when this was announced?

Three reasons.

A. Irresponsibility. Paying no attention to anything, they have no
clue this is happening and indeed will not even find out what's going
on until after it happens.

B. Laziness. Knowing it is easier to fix something that has broken
than predict where something is going to break, they voluntarily
decided to let their application break and fix it then.

C. Discipline. Having already fixed everything they thought was going
to break, they are standing by to make sure they didn't miss anything.

Contrary to popular belief, option B is not necessarily bad. We'd all
prefer option C, and option A is clearly the Wrong Thing, but option B
is actually a smart response to some business conditions.

JDG

Sep 21, 2009, 4:55:27 PM9/21/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, but then they're probably aware of the situation and have made plans to mitigate if they're going to be attending TC140.
--
Internets. Serious business.

Zac Bowling

Sep 21, 2009, 4:57:46 PM9/21/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
All things being prefect, it would good if the development staffs of
many companies were not out at TC140 when this happened.

Zac Bowling