"What happened, happened."

Taylor Singletary

Apr 9, 2010, 11:26:58 PM4/9/10
to twitter-development-talk
Let there be no doubt that not only will Chirp be an opportunity for developers to learn and talk to platform developers & Twitter employees directly about what will obviously be a hot topic on everyone's mind, but Chirp will also in itself be a platform for Twitter to clarify existing capabilities and introduce new platform opportunities available to our obviously instrumental developer community.

No one Twitter experience will ever define Twitter. No one app will ever define a platform. Not all use cases, analytical opportunities, clients, redefinitions, evolutions of, extrapolations on, libraries for the API of, insights for, integrations of, thoughts on, run-on-sentences-written-about, financial opportunities, or choices offered to consumers in the Twitter universe have been explored.

@episod

funkatron

Apr 9, 2010, 11:34:36 PM4/9/10
to Twitter Development Talk
It would be awesome if some of those opportunities were offered to
people who aren't able to afford to travel to SF.

Of course, a lot of things would be awesome, but I'm not optimistic
about them. Alas.

--
Ed Finkler
http://funkatron.com

On Apr 9, 11:26 pm, Taylor Singletary <taylorsinglet...@twitter.com>

Isaiah

Apr 9, 2010, 11:36:55 PM4/9/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
It would be great if Twitter would clarify things online. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that it's time to cut losses and move on - starting with Chirp.

Frankly I'm not sure I see much point in attending Chirp any more.

Isaiah

Cameron Kaiser

Apr 9, 2010, 11:37:05 PM4/9/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> Let there be no doubt that not only will Chirp be an opportunity for
> developers to learn and talk to platform developers & Twitter employees
> directly about what will obviously be a hot topic on everyone's mind, but
> Chirp will also in itself be a platform for Twitter to clarify existing
> capabilities and introduce new platform opportunities available to our
> obviously instrumental developer community.

... except on the iPhone.

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com
-- Jesus loves you, and I'm trying to. -- Jack Thompson -----------------------

funkatron

Apr 9, 2010, 11:37:53 PM4/9/10
to Twitter Development Talk
It looks like it will be great if you want to have VCs and pundits
talk to you for several hours.

--

On Apr 9, 11:36 pm, Isaiah <isa...@me.com> wrote:
> It would be great if Twitter would clarify things online. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that it's time to cut losses and move on - starting with Chirp.
>
> Frankly I'm not sure I see much point in attending Chirp any more.
>
> Isaiah

Chad Etzel

Apr 9, 2010, 11:39:47 PM4/9/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com, twitter-development-talk
Sorry, but you #LOST me...
-Chad

On Apr 9, 2010, at 20:26, Taylor Singletary <taylorsi...@twitter.com

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Apr 9, 2010, 11:59:58 PM4/9/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com, Taylor Singletary

Or, to quote G. Spencer Brown: "What is not allowed is forbidden." ;-)

Interesting thought: Twitter is the *only* major API I'm aware of that
does *not* require a per-user or per-company API key. Sure, there's the
oAuth *application* keys, but there's no API key that tells Twitter
"this activity is coming from Ed Borasky, regardless of IP address or
account or application." It would make my life as a developer simpler if
a user of applications I create had to have an API key from Twitter to
use them. Would it complicate Twitter's life substantially to do that?

Do I need to bring a copy of "I Ching" to Chirp? Is there a favored
translation? The postings from Twitter on this mailing list quite often
appear to have been composed by a similar process. ;-)

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net @znmeb

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdős

Raffi Krikorian

Apr 10, 2010, 12:22:49 AM4/10/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com, Taylor Singletary
Interesting thought: Twitter is the *only* major API I'm aware of that
does *not* require a per-user or per-company API key. Sure, there's the
oAuth *application* keys, but there's no API key that tells Twitter
"this activity is coming from Ed Borasky, regardless of IP address or
account or application." It would make my life as a developer simpler if
a user of applications I create had to have an API key from Twitter to
use them. Would it complicate Twitter's life substantially to do that?

i'm confused what you're asking for?  it seems to me that with oauth does?  with 3-legged oauth, as the requests are signed with an access token....  the access token is tied to a user at some point, no?

Do I need to bring a copy of "I Ching" to Chirp? Is there a favored
translation? The postings from Twitter on this mailing list quite often
appear to have been composed by a similar process. ;-)

you just got way too smart for me.  i'm just a lowly engineer.

--
Raffi Krikorian
Twitter Platform Team

Jaanus

Apr 10, 2010, 1:08:21 AM4/10/10
to Twitter Development Talk
> Interesting thought: Twitter is the *only* major API I'm aware of that
> does *not* require a per-user or per-company API key. Sure, there's the
> oAuth *application* keys, but there's no API key that tells Twitter
> "this activity is coming from Ed Borasky, regardless of IP address or
> account or application." It would make my life as a developer simpler if
> a user of applications I create had to have an API key from Twitter to
> use them. Would it complicate Twitter's life substantially to do that?

Yeah, this doesn't really make any sense. Users already sign in to
OAuth apps and if they then use the apps, Twitter can tell what user
and app the traffic is coming from. So what is your need/point?