Search by Client

Christian

Mar 14, 2010, 7:33:19 PM3/14/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi There,

is it possible to reveal all Tweets placed by a specific client (my
client)?

Hope someone could help me

THX Chris

Raffi Krikorian

Mar 14, 2010, 9:17:27 PM3/14/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com

Harshad RJ

Mar 15, 2010, 3:50:53 AM3/15/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Err, but this does't show all tweets of a client.
--
Harshad RJ
http://hrj.wikidot.com

John Kalucki

Mar 15, 2010, 9:39:51 AM3/15/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Search is filtered for relevance, especially on large result sets. Streaming returns complete result sets, except for rate limits. There's no predicate for searching on source in the Streaming API -- Perhaps you could take the sample feed and extrapolate? This should give you a very accurate proportion, as the sampling is random -- whereas Search sampling is most certainly not random.

-John Kalucki
http://twiter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.

Raffi Krikorian

Mar 15, 2010, 9:43:35 AM3/15/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
its true - search doesn't return all the tweets as it is returning "the best tweets".  unfortunately, the streaming API will not allow you to get a stream of all the tweets by source either.  what are you trying to achieve?  are you looking for relative volumes?  if so, then just watch a sample of tweets and make an estimate?

John Kalucki

Mar 15, 2010, 9:49:11 AM3/15/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Jinx.

Raffi Krikorian

Mar 15, 2010, 11:08:43 AM3/15/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
gotta love race conditions.

Harshad RJ

Mar 15, 2010, 12:17:34 PM3/15/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
What I meant was that searching with "source:clientName" requires atleast one keyword to be specified. Which means that you can't get all those tweets which don't have that keyword.

Moreover, searching for common english words like "a", "an", or "the" (often) doesn't return any results.

The idea of sampling the streaming API is a decent alternative for already popular clients, but will yield inaccurate results for new clients, because their tweets are easily submerged in the stream.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Raffi Krikorian <ra...@twitter.com> wrote:
from http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-Search-API-Method%3A-search

http://search.twitter.com/search.atom?q=landing+source:tweetie

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Christian <christia...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi There,

is it possible to reveal all Tweets placed by a specific client (my
client)?

Hope someone could help me

THX Chris

--
Harshad RJ
http://hrj.wikidot.com

John Kalucki

Mar 15, 2010, 12:46:16 PM3/15/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I'd suggest calculating the binomial proportion confidence interval assuming a very large n. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the interval given n = 2.5mm/day on the Spritzer feed...

Well, you learn something new every day. Apparently the central limit theorem apparently holds for p as small as .000002 given n of 2.5mm. So, if your client is generating pretty much any traffic at all, the interval will be pretty reasonable.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.

Harshad RJ

Mar 21, 2010, 7:36:52 AM3/21/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
To test how this works I built a streaming parser for the Spritzer feed, and it occurred to me that I could make this data available to everyone.

So, here it is:
http://tdash.org/stats/clients

I dunno if the OP just wanted an approx count of the client's tweets or the actual list of tweets. Personally, I would like to have both. It will be great if Twitter can allow search for "source:myclient" without requiring a keyword to be specified.

Harshad RJ

Mar 21, 2010, 9:53:33 PM3/21/10
to M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

The tweets are indexed in real-time but the writes to DB and rendering of pages are cached, and not updated frequently. There is a net lag of about an hour or so before the updated results are visible.

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 1:09 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <zzn...@gmail.com> wrote:
That is *really* nice! Is it updated in real time?
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net/m-edward-ed-borasky/

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erd?s

Quoting Harshad RJ <harsh...@gmail.com>:

Err, but this does't show *all* tweets of a client.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Raffi Krikorian  <ra...@twitter.com>wrote:

from http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-Search-API-Method%3A-search

http://search.twitter.com/search.atom?q=landing+source:tweetie

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Christian <
christia...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hi There,

is it possible to reveal all Tweets placed by a specific client (my
client)?

Hope someone could help me

THX Chris

--
Harshad RJ
http://hrj.wikidot.com

--
Harshad RJ
http://hrj.wikidot.com

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Mar 21, 2010, 3:39:41 PM3/21/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com, Harshad RJ
That is *really* nice! Is it updated in real time?
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net/m-edward-ed-borasky/

>>> --
>>> Harshad RJ
>>> http://hrj.wikidot.com
>>>

> --
> Harshad RJ
> http://hrj.wikidot.com

Raffi Krikorian

Mar 21, 2010, 9:59:08 PM3/21/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I dunno if the OP just wanted an approx count of the client's tweets or the actual list of tweets. Personally, I would like to have both. It will be great if Twitter can allow search for "source:myclient" without requiring a keyword to be specified.

even if we did support this -- you still wouldn't get all the tweets...

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Mar 26, 2010, 3:26:30 PM3/26/10
On 03/21/2010 04:36 AM, Harshad RJ wrote:
> To test how this works I built a streaming parser for the Spritzer feed, and
> it occurred to me that I could make this data available to everyone.
>
> So, here it is:
> http://tdash.org/stats/clients
>
> I dunno if the OP just wanted an approx count of the client's tweets or the
> actual list of tweets. Personally, I would like to have both. It will be
> great if Twitter can allow search for "source:myclient" without requiring a
> keyword to be specified.

I posted some of the results from this to my blog. A few people have
questioned the high position of UberTwitter, which is Blackberry-only.
As has been noted on this list, when a person uses the built-in retweet,
the *original* posting client is the one that shows up, not the one the
retweeter used. Could that account for the high ranking of UberTwitter?

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdős

Harshad RJ

Mar 26, 2010, 11:14:27 PM3/26/10
On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:56 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <zzn...@gmail.com> wrote:
I posted some of the results from this to my blog. A few people have
questioned the high position of UberTwitter, which is Blackberry-only.
As has been noted on this list, when a person uses the built-in retweet,
the *original* posting client is the one that shows up, not the one the
retweeter used. Could that account for the high ranking of UberTwitter?

Do retweets appear in the stream? My hunch is no, but I may not have observed long enough.

If they do, then your hypothesis is quite likely true.. since UberTwitter is used by a number of celebrities (in my own limited observations).

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Mar 26, 2010, 11:33:02 PM3/26/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com

The "Sample" streams I've looked at *do* contain retweets. If a tweet is
a re-tweet created with the built-in retweet button, it has an embedded
"retweeted_status" object, which is the original tweet. I haven't looked
to see if the "source" value is copied from the original tweet into the
retweet.

Harshad RJ

Mar 27, 2010, 2:39:38 AM3/27/10
On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 9:03 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <zzn...@gmail.com> wrote:

The "Sample" streams I've looked at *do* contain retweets. If a tweet is
a re-tweet created with the built-in retweet button, it has an embedded
"retweeted_status" object, which is the original tweet. I haven't looked
to see if the "source" value is copied from the original tweet into the
retweet.

You are right; the retweets do appear in the stream. The source inside the "retweeted_status" object is the original application, but the source in the outermost object is the application used for retweeting. It is this outermost source that I have been using in the stats. Which means the rankings are as I intended and UberTwitter is indeed at #2.

I found that the volume of retweets is very tiny in the sample feed. I have already deployed a change to my stat collector to record the retweet information. Will make changes to the UI in a few days to reflect this data.

I will soon writeup all these details and make it available in the stats page somewhere.

Thanks for bringing this to my notice.

cheers,

Harshad RJ

Mar 27, 2010, 2:42:06 AM3/27/10
On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Harshad RJ <harsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
I found that the volume of retweets is very tiny in the sample feed.

Forgot to mention how low the volume is.

In about 8 mins the app indexed:
Total tweets: 10000
Replies: 2853
Retweets: 9

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Mar 27, 2010, 3:11:09 AM3/27/10
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com

So if someone sends a tweet from a Blackberry with UberTwitter, and 100
people retweet it from TweetDeck, how many counts does each application
get?

Harshad RJ

Mar 27, 2010, 3:23:13 AM3/27/10

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:41 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <zzn...@gmail.com> wrote:

So if someone sends a tweet from a Blackberry with UberTwitter, and 100
people retweet it from TweetDeck, how many counts does each application
get?

Assuming all end up in the sample stream, one for UberTwitter and 100 for TweetDeck, both before and after my changes.

But henceforth, the percentage of retweets for any app will also be recorded and displayed.