Streaming API -- CHANGE REQUIRED -- URL rationalization

John Kalucki

Aug 26, 2009, 3:06:34 PM8/26/09
to Twitter Development Talk
The resources in the Streaming API have been rationalized. You'll need
to update the URLs that streaming clients are using over the next two
weeks. The old URLs will be deprecated on or after September 9, 2009.
The change is documented in the Wiki: http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Streaming-API-Documentation,
specifically in http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Streaming-API-Documentation#Methods.

The new scheme allows for API versioning, streams that contain objects
other than statuses, separates access level control from URLs and
allows multiple filter predicates to be specified on a single
connection. The cute resource names have, sadly, been dropped we move
towards pushing the service out of Alpha. Also, /track and friends
have been merged with /follow and friends into a single resource. When
you connect to a given resource, you will automatically be given the
highest access level possible.

The following is a mapping from the old URLs to the new URLs.
Otherwise, you should notice only subtle changes to the Streaming API
error handling behavior. All other functionality should continue to
work as in the past.

/firehose - /1/statuses/firehose
/spritzer, /gardenhose - /1/statuses/sample
/birddog, /shadow, /follow - /1/statuses/filter
/partner/track, /restricted/track, /track - /1/statuses/filter

For example, if you have been connecting to /gardenhose.json, connect
to /1/statuses/sample.json.

Note that the Streaming API is still in Alpha test.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.

Joel Strellner

Aug 26, 2009, 3:30:26 PM8/26/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
When does this change go into effect?

-Joel

John Kalucki

Aug 26, 2009, 5:12:59 PM8/26/09
to Twitter Development Talk
This change went into effect at about 3pm PST Tuesday August 25th.

On Aug 26, 12:30 pm, Joel Strellner <j...@twitturly.com> wrote:
> When does this change go into effect?
>
> -Joel

Kevin Watters

Aug 26, 2009, 7:02:27 PM8/26/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Will the streaming API ever expose tweets from protected users?--or is
it an infrastructure limitation that isn't going away anytime soon?
Also, will we ever see the ability to get real time tweets based on
search operators (http://search.twitter.com/operators)?

On Aug 26, 3:06 pm, John Kalucki <jkalu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The resources in the Streaming API have been rationalized. You'll need
> to update the URLs that streaming clients are using over the next two
> weeks. The old URLs will be deprecated on or after September 9, 2009.
> The change is documented in the Wiki:http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Streaming-API-Documentation,
> specifically inhttp://apiwiki.twitter.com/Streaming-API-Documentation#Methods.

JDG

Aug 26, 2009, 11:18:40 PM8/26/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I would hope they never expose protected tweets -- if they did, what would be ... you know, the point of it all?
--
Internets. Serious business.

Monica Keller

Sep 6, 2009, 2:16:11 PM9/6/09
to Twitter Development Talk
The point of it all would be performance. Obviously this would have to
be done in a secure fashion but the stream api and privacy are not
mutually exclusive.

John do you think this will be possible ? Maybe passing some of the
oAuth credentials ?
> Internets. Serious business.- Hide quoted text -

John Kalucki

Sep 7, 2009, 10:28:31 PM9/7/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Technically possible or not, streaming protected statuses isn't a
current priority. In my opinion, and in my opinion only, it's also not
a good idea, regardless of the safeguards employed.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Services, Twitter Inc.