Deprecation of source parameter registration

Doug Williams

Apr 8, 2009, 10:14:52 PM4/8/09
to Twitter Development Talk, twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com
Applications wishing to append the "from [MyApp]" to tweets have traditionally been able to register for a source parameter. This application is then manually approved, and specified in a header parameter (named: source) during the HTTP request. When OAuth is used for API authentication, we can implicitly determine which application is updating on a user's behalf. This allows us to use the application's name as the source parameter and bypass the messy registration and authorization cycle.

Beginning late this week or early next week, application developers will no longer be able to request API source parameters. Instead, new source parameters will only be available for OAuth applications, and will be managed by the developer through the registration and management interface (http://twitter.com/oauth_clients).

Three key points:
1) We ARE NOT deprecating Basic Authentication in the near term. We ARE trying to reduce the API team's administrative load.
2) We are trying to encourage OAuth adoption.
3) Just for kicks, I'll restate #1: Basic Authentication will continue to work as it currently does. Registered source parameters will continue to work as they currently do.

The FAQ [1] has been updated to reflect this change.

1. http://apiwiki.twitter.com/FAQ#HowdoIget%E2%80%9CfromMyApp%E2%80%9DappendedtoupdatessentfrommyAPIapplication

Thanks,
Doug Williams
Twitter API Support
http://twitter.com/dougw

Doug Williams

Apr 14, 2009, 7:28:31 PM4/14/09
to Twitter API Announcements
We've finished the removal of this functionality from the site so
third-party registration is no longer supported. If you feel that you
have an extraordinary need for explicit source parameter registration,
please email a...@twitter.com. Include why you need to register an
application manually and why OAuth will not work in your case.

Thanks,
Doug Williams
Twitter API Support
http://twitter.com/dougw