New API methods to retrieve social graph without pagination

Alex Payne

Feb 3, 2009, 8:01:05 PM2/3/09
to Twitter Development Talk, twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com
Happy to announce two new API methods today, delivered in response to
developer demand for an easier way to keep tabs on users' social graphs.
The methods, /friends/ids and /followers/ids, return the entire list of
numeric user IDs for a user's set of followed and following users,
respectively. Responses to these methods are cached until the user's
social graph changes. The responses come direct from our denormalized
list data stores, and should be reasonably fast even for users with a
large number of followers/follows.

These new methods are most useful for services that are maintaining a
cache of user details. If you see a user ID that you don't have cached,
you'll have to call /users/show to retrieve that user's details. But for
services with large user bases, or those that simply want to diff a
user's social graph over time, we hope these methods will come in handy.

You can find the documentation at
http://apiwiki.twitter.com/REST-API-Documentation#SocialGraphMethods.

--
Alex Payne - API Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x

Alex Payne

Feb 7, 2009, 3:50:40 PM2/7/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com, twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com
If you file a ticket, I can check with our engineers to see how performance would look if we try to support that filter on the collection we return.

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 11:53, Stuart <stu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Loving these new methods, but was disappointed to see that they don't
support the If-Modified-Since header. Any chance of that to reduce
data transfer at both ends and unnecessary processing at our end?

-Stuart