Streaming API access limits increased

John Kalucki

Aug 31, 2010, 12:09:49 AM8/31/10
to twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com
Recently we dropped the Gardenhose sample rate down from roughly 15% to roughly 5% of all public statuses in response to a capacity limitation. We've added considerable bandwidth headroom to the stream.twitter.com cluster, and we've provisionally increased the sample to roughly 10%. As documented since the release of the sampled endpoint, this rate is subject to continuous and unannounced change. Note that "roughly X percent" remains a somewhat complicated proportion that varies in response to certain other proportions in the Twitter system and is not an precise description of the sampling algorithm.

We've also increased a number of limits on other endpoints to better reflect current usage:

Shadow: 80,000 accounts to 100,000 accounts

Follow: 400 accounts to 5,000 accounts

LocationRestricted and LocationDefault bounding boxes can now be up to 360-degrees per side. This allows total coverage at the potential risk of inducing filter rate limits.

LocationDefault: 10 boxes to 25 boxes

Please pardon what is a late-night production change for many developers. Caution dictates an off-peak deploy of these rate limit changes.

-John Kalucki
Twitter, Inc.