Survey: usage of since/If-Modified-Since vs since_id

Alex Payne

Mar 6, 2009, 2:54:06 PM3/6/09
to Twitter Development Talk, twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com
We've recently discovered some performance problems in the use of the
since/If-Modified-Since parameter and HTTP header, respectively. What
was originally implemented as a way for developers to help us keep our
servers happy by requesting only the tweets they need has, in fact,
ended up costing as must computationally as gathering up an entire
timeline of tweets.

To that end, I'd like to find out how many of you really use this
parameter or header, and why. If you'd be so kind, take a moment to
fill out this brief, three question survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=z_2b612T_2bkqMCcSLKzXeZLIw_3d_3d

Your feedback will determine how we proceed in regards to filtering
timelines by timestamp.

--
Alex Payne - API Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x