"Match Game 2010"

Kevin M.

Dec 30, 2009, 1:50:01 AM12/30/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Delightfully wasting an evening away by with a combination of Guinness
and classic episodes of "Match Game." The '77 series stands out as my
favorite because it featured my choice of the four seats that
mattered: Brett and Charles up top and Richard and Betty on the
bottom... the two seats on the far left of either row were superfluous
to me.

I've decided that my dream job would be to serve as MC/host of a
remake of "Match Game," and I'd want the same cheesy set where
contestants are spun in on a turntable and the doors don't always open
correctly. I'd also want a sot of "Match Game PM" inasmuch as the show
should air in prime time on a network (perhaps opposite Leno -- to me,
a fun game show would be great counter-programing to Jay, or maybe let
Jay do a half hour show and my version of "Match Game" would follow
him). Then I thought of who I'd want as celebrity panelists. Then I
thought, why not turn it into a game. The rules are that you can't
choose a really big name (not going to get Jerry Seinfeld or George
Clooney, for instance), but the stars should still be known to a wide
audience. And if they happen to be known for comedy, all the better
(but not necessary). And, for the love of all things holy, please
don't choose Kathy Griffin.

So, which celebrities would you have matching wits (and answers) with
contestants? I'll post my answers sometime tomorrow.
--
Kevin M. (RPCV)

Ed Dravecky

Dec 30, 2009, 4:37:58 AM12/30/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Kevin M. <drunkba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, which celebrities would you have matching wits (and answers) with
> contestants? I'll post my answers sometime tomorrow.

Moving from left to right across the top row, Keegan-Michael Key,
Elaine Stritch, and Neil Patrick Harris.

Across the bottom row, Kaley Cuoco, Mark Sheppard, and Nadine Velazquez.

Thinking about it, CNR's seat was the easiest to fill in my head, even
if NPH could be the hardest to get in real life. Richard Dawson's seat
had to go to veteran character actor and genuine character Mark
Sheppard. (Bonus: he's even got an accent.) The others were tougher
but, of course, the leftmost panelist chairs would be refilled every
week in any case. Also, it appears that my subconscious has assumed
this would be on CBS and made the appropriate casting possible.

While trying to fill the bottom right "Fannie Flagg" seat, my thoughts
kept turning to Rachel Maddow who would in all likelihood be good at
the game but too controversial in today's polarized climate. (And her
NBC overlords would keep her off a competitor in any case.) Nadine
Velazquez is no Fannie Flagg but she is an excellent Nadine Velazquez.

--
Ed Dravecky III
http://www.fencon.org/

PGage

Dec 30, 2009, 5:11:01 AM12/30/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Didn't we already do something like this a while back?

No matter, always fun. This week I am in the mood for:

Andy Richter; Cheryl Hines; Richard Kind
Kristin Chenoweth; John Oliver; Sarah Silverman

jeffrey marousek

Dec 30, 2009, 12:18:06 PM12/30/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
i would choose George Wendt and Louie Anderson...at the very least watching a fat guy explode would be entertaining.

Ben Scripps

Dec 30, 2009, 12:26:12 PM12/30/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:18 PM, jeffrey marousek
<jeff.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...at the very least watching
> a fat guy explode would be entertaining.

Ahh, I see--you work for Network 23.

(Too obscure?)

Ben Scripps
bensc...@gmail.com

jeffrey marousek

Dec 30, 2009, 2:07:09 PM12/30/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
obscure is my middle name, or is it obtuse?

although, the max headroom days are pretty much a blur of chemicals and alcohol...

jeff

Joe Hass

Dec 30, 2009, 3:05:37 PM12/30/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to try to pick people who others hadn't picked, so I have two
lists: one for just my picks, the other picking up some of the other
lists.

Top left: Jim Parsons. I originally had him at the bottom middle, but
I felt I was projecting him too far, too soon, so I'm putting him up
here. Yes, I know this is for the male flavor of the month, but think
of it as a AA level. If he turned out well, I'd push him to the bottom
center and call up Jerry Trainor.

Top middle: Paula Poundstone. I know she's an acquired taste, but so
was Brett. Having listened to her on "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!" for
a couple years now, I think she'd work well in that spot, especially
setting up the top right spot...

Top right: John Hodgman. The perfect minor celebrity. He'd spar well
with Poundstone, provide just the right level of knowledge and funny
to make the turn and interact with the rest of the panel.

Bottom left: Sara Rue. This has everything to do with the fact that I
am mildly in love with Sara Rue, think she's very smart, and she has
absolutely no need to use nor sponsor Jenny Craig.

Bottom middle: David Cross. Inexplicably, I originally had Cross in
the top left behind Trainor, but I think Cross brings the funny so
well and can play well with others. My original choice in this slot
was actually Craig Ferguson, and while I think Ferguson would be
better, I'm not sure about putting a TV host on the panel.

Bottom right: Lauren Graham. Smart and sophisticated, able to round
out the panel nicely, with a humorous touch. I know she's trying to
get away from Lorelei Gilmore, but her timing on that show proves
she'd work here. If not, then just bring back Betty White. Obscure but
worth investigating: Riki Lindhome, who is a character actress who
also writes and plays in a comedy band "Garfunkel and Oates."

Looking at the other suggestions:

I like Cuoco in the bottom left, provided you don't have Parsons in
the top left. I like Parsons more, though, so he stays.

Oliver is much better than Cross in the bottom center.

Hines makes more sense as a bottom right than a top middle.

So with the changes: Parsons, Poundstone, Hodgman, Rue, Oliver, Hines.

Kevin M.

Dec 30, 2009, 8:26:20 PM12/30/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I liked a lot of the suggestions, but here are mine:

From the top left, Fred Willard, who has that old-school quick wit
that makes the show fun. Then (as PGage suggested) Sarah Silverman in
the Brett chair, and author/speaker David Sedaris in the CNR seat.

Down at the bottom row, I'd stir it up a bit. A month or two ago, I
heard Melissa Gilbert on LA's Mark & Brian radio show playing their
daily trivia game. She was on the phone in her kitchen and she, with
occasional shouts from husband Bruce Boxleitner (who was sitting at
the kitchen table eating breakfast cereal), was bright and funny. I
think both Melissa and Bruce would be fun on the show. Last but not
least, in case you couldn't see it coming a mile away, I'd have
Shannen Doherty on the set, probably in the bottom left seat generally
reserved for the big haired flighty chicks in the show's original run.

So, my list:

Fred Willard, Sarah Silverman, David Sedaris
Shannen Doherty, Bruce Boxleitner, Melissa Gilbert

Lastly, if I wasn't allowed to host, I'd want Neil Patrick Harris to do it.
But I want to host.

--
Kevin M. (RPCV)

PGage

Dec 30, 2009, 9:32:23 PM12/30/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Kevin M. <drunkba...@gmail.com> wrote:
I liked a lot of the suggestions, but here are mine: (SNIP)

So, my list:

Fred Willard, Sarah Silverman, David Sedaris
Shannen Doherty, Bruce Boxleitner, Melissa Gilbert

Lastly, if I wasn't allowed to host, I'd want Neil Patrick Harris to do it.
But I want to host.

Ah - you want Doherty in what I think of as the Adrienne Barbeau seat, which I guess explains my nomination for that seat (does Doherty have the rack for that role? I am in a demo that completely missed out on Shanon Doherty, and I barely know what she looks like, though I have heard she was a bitch, and have read a small fraction of your posts on the subject- of course even reading 10% of your posts makes me something of an expert now).

Williard is a great choice. I love Sedaris- though like some other of the suggestions here (mine included) he might be a little too high brow). I guess Sedaris might have a little Orson Bean in him.

I thought I remembered a wiki page listing Match Game cast members in order of # of appearances. I could not find it, but did find something on a page called "Deletionpedia" (which apparently stores pages deleted by the wikis). I don't see any explanation for its deletion (no doubt somehow too POV, or non-encyclopedic).

It is not ranked by # of appearences, but it is categorized as "regular", "semi-regular" and "other". Adrienne was only "other", so I guess her few appearances just made a big impression on my adolescent brain.

Of the regular and semi-regulars, I will admit to having to look up Richard Paul (figured out who he was by the "Mayor of Cabot Cove" credit, and Mary Wickes (only flashed on her when I got to her role in The Music Man, though now I think I remember her in some MASH episodes and other things).

Regular panelists: Charles Nelson Reilly, Brett Somers, Richard Dawson (until 1978), McLean Stevenson (1981–1982)

Semi-regulars: Steve Allen, Patty Duke Astin, Orson Bean, Joyce Bulifant, Gary Burghoff, Bill Daily, Patti Deutsch, David Doyle, Fannie Flagg, Eva Gabor, Arte Johnson, Elaine Joyce, Lee Meriwether, Scoey Mitchell, Mary Ann Mobley, Richard Paul, Jo Ann Pflug, Nipsey Russell, Avery Schreiber, Debralee Scott, Connie Stevens, Marcia Wallace, Betty White, Mary Wickes

Other panelists: Don Adams, Jack Albertson, Elizabeth Allen, Jonelle Allen, Morey Amsterdam, Bill Anderson (country music), Daryl Anderson, Loni Anderson, Lucie Arnaz, Ed Asner, Jim Backus, Kay Ballard, Adrienne Barbeau, Bob Barker, Rona Barrett, Jaime Lyn Bauer, Meg Bennett, Valerie Bertinelli, Joey Bishop, Amanda Blake, Charlie Brill, Tom Bosley, Bart Braverman, Foster Brooks, Richard Deacon, Dr. Joyce Brothers, Chelsea Brown, Johnny Brown, Raymond Burr, Abe Burrows, Judy Carne, Didi Carr, Pat Carroll, Jack Carter, Jack Cassidy, Brian Patrick Clarke, Marty Cohen, Gary Collins, Joan Collins, Didi Conn, Hans Conried, Bert Convy, Gary Crosby, Pat Crowley, Bill Cullen, Robert Culp, Jamie Lee Curtis, Abby Dalton, James Darren, Clifton Davis, Phyllis Davis, Lynn Deerfield, Gloria DeHaven, Pat Delany, Brenda Dickson, Phyllis Diller, Robert Donner, Jody Donovan, Tom Dreesen, Denise DuBarry, Nancy Dussault, Stephanie Edwards, Ann Elder, Cass Elliot, Wesley Eure, Michael Evans, Nanette Fabray, Gail Farrell, Sharon Farrell, Melinda Fee, Pat Finley, Gail Fisher, Joe Flynn, Anitra Ford, Rosemary Forsyth, John Forsythe, Arlene Francis, Bonnie Franklin, Don Galloway, Joe Garagiola, Beverly Garland, Dick Gautier, Lynda Day George, Bennye Gatteys, Anita Gillette, Stu Gilliam, George Gobel, Sydney Goldsmith, Mark Goodson, Ronny Graham, Fred Grandy, Shecky Greene, Rosey Grier, Tom Hallick, Holly Hallstrom, Marvin Hamlisch, Pat Harrington, Julie Harris, Jo Ann Harris, Jenilee Harrison, Gina Hecht, Robert Hegyes, Marilu Henner, Linda Kaye Henning, Dwayne Hickman, Polly Holliday, Erica Hope, Larry Hovis, Susan Howard, Tab Hunter, Gunilla Hutton, Peter Isacksen, Kate Jackson, Conrad Janis, Dawn Jeffory, Carolyn Jones, Jack Jones, Jackie Joseph, Steve Kanaly, Alex Karras, Roz Kelly, Betty Kennedy, George Kennedy, Sarah Kennedy, Richard Kiel, Freeman King, Mabel King, George Kirby, Jack Klugman, Guich Koock, Bernie Kopell, Nancy Kulp, Audrey Landers, Judy Landers, Nancy Lane, Hope Lange, Ted Lange, Carol Lawrence, Vicki Lawrence, Brianne Leary, Michele Lee, Ruta Lee, Helaine Lembeck, Sheldon Leonard, Robert Q. Lewis, June Lockhart, Julie London, Richard Long, Allen Ludden, Janice Lynde, Kukla and Ollie, Bill Macy, Mitzi McCall, Edie McClurg, Barbara McNair, Meredith MacRae, Lorrie Mahaffey, Robert Mandan, Irlene Mandrell, Penny Marshall, Peter Marshall, Dolly Martin, Ron Masak, Anne Meara, Lee Meredith, Ethel Merman, Donna Mills, Juliet Mills, Scoey Mitchell, Rita Moreno, Henry Morgan, Pat Morita, Louisa Moritz, Greg Morris, Karen Morrow, Robert Morse, Jack Narz, Phyllis Newman, Leslie Nielsen, Ken Olfson, Johnny Olson, Alan Oppenheimer, Buck Owens, Ron Palillo, Lorna Patterson, Minnie Pearl, Janice Pennington, Donna Pescow, Robert Pine, Tom Poston, Juliet Prowse, Sarah Purcell, Gene Rayburn*, Lynn Redgrave, Della Reese, Alejandro Rey, Barbara Rhoades, Madlyn Rhue, Susan Richardson, Esther Rolle, Donald Ross, Soupy Sales, Isabel Sanford, Barbara Sharma, William Shatner, Charles Siebert, Joe Silver, Dick Smothers, Suzanne Somers, Joanie Sommers, Louise Sorel, Diana Soviero, Jim Staahl, Lilibet Stern, Connie Stevens, Kaye Stevens, Trish Stewart, Barbara Stuart, Susan Sullivan, Don Sutton, Loretta Swit, Rip Taylor, Melody Thomas, Mel Tillis, Charlene Tilton, Fred Travalena, Willie Tyler, Robert Urich, Bobby Van, Conny Van Dyke, Monique Van Vooren, Robert Walden, Jimmie Walker, Marjorie Wallace, Laurie Walters, Tudi Wiggins, Anson Williams, Paul Williams, Shelley Winters, Alfie Wise, Gene Wood, Lana Wood, Jo Anne Worley

David Lynch

Dec 31, 2009, 12:05:29 AM12/31/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 20:32, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Kevin M. <drunkba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I liked a lot of the suggestions, but here are mine: (SNIP)
>>
>> So, my list:
>>
>> Fred Willard, Sarah Silverman, David Sedaris
>> Shannen Doherty, Bruce Boxleitner, Melissa Gilbert
>>
>> Lastly, if I wasn't allowed to host, I'd want Neil Patrick Harris to do
>> it.
>> But I want to host.
>
> Ah - you want Doherty in what I think of as the Adrienne Barbeau seat, which
> I guess explains my nomination for that seat

It's also the Eva Gabor seat - she was horrible at the game, but
funny, so they put her in the lineup where she'd do the least damage.

I can understand your thinking, though; the fourth seat wasn't always
the eye candy, but it's where the busty young woman of the week tended
to end up. Brett was always in the second seat and I think they wanted
someone they knew could play the game as the sixth celebrity, so the
fourth seat went to the weaker player and/or lesser known quantity by
default.

I could see Chenoweth filling the Brett seat - she's got the wit from
what I've seen, even if she doesn't have quite the same attitude.

--
David J. Lynch
djl...@gmail.com

Kevin M.

Dec 31, 2009, 2:13:02 AM12/31/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Not for nothing, but the episode I am watching at the moment features
a contestant (not a celebrity panelist, but a contestant) named
Kirstie Alley... in no need of Jenny Craig. She's claiming to be (and
for all I know, she was at the time) an interior designer from
Wichita, Kansas. Way before "Cheers" and long before the Vulcan ears,
she's a cutie. Gene's comment about her name: "Kirstie... rhymes with
'thirsty.'"
--
Kevin M. (RPCV)

Ben Scripps

Dec 31, 2009, 2:34:04 AM12/31/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
She has no children. She has cats. Or so she told Allen Ludden on
"Password Plus":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKnQIAB1T4c

Kevin M.

Dec 31, 2009, 2:44:06 AM12/31/09
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Ben Scripps <bensc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> She has no children.  She has cats.  Or so she told Allen Ludden on
> "Password Plus":
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKnQIAB1T4c

That's funny... one of the two celebs on Password, Dick Martin, was
also on the episode of Match Game with her.
--
Kevin M. (RPCV)